Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The Center-Lock recall...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011 | 11:55 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Dear Porsche AG,

Please replace my nuts, hubs and wheels with the traditional 5 lug type please, as this is how it should have come in the first place.

Thank you
Doug N.
2010 GT3

Last edited by DJN; 06-17-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-17-2011 | 12:05 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Fellas, as some have already pointed out, there is no new wheel design and there is no mention of replacement wheels in the recall letters we have received. Simply put, if it looks like your wheels have been loose at some point due to the incorrect torque specs and there is wear, they will replace the damaged wheels. Don't expect new wheels- its just bolts, new torque settings and a check for damage due to the insufficient torque your car may have been running prior to this recall...

Ps. Your aftermarket wheels will fit just the same as before...
Old 06-17-2011 | 01:08 AM
peer
Instructor

Originally Posted by rlips
Strange, my rotors were also defective. So much so that i had to put new ones on after a mere 14 days of "spirited" driving
Hey, me too!
I think they need to cover the girodiscs I just got in the mail today! Or maybe settle for redesigned slotted rotors from porsche, maybe a complimentary torque multiplier, their fancy breaker bar, an extra socket for the break/torque dance we have to do, a box of GT3 center caps, and a lifetime supply of optimoly paste.
Somehow this must affect the caliper bolts as well, right?

Last edited by peer; 06-17-2011 at 01:09 AM. Reason: currect spelling
Old 06-17-2011 | 02:00 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911rox
Fellas, as some have already pointed out, there is no new wheel design and there is no mention of replacement wheels in the recall letters we have received. Simply put, if it looks like your wheels have been loose at some point due to the incorrect torque specs and there is wear, they will replace the damaged wheels. Don't expect new wheels- its just bolts, new torque settings and a check for damage due to the insufficient torque your car may have been running prior to this recall...

Ps. Your aftermarket wheels will fit just the same as before...
Exactly what letters? I talked to both PCNA and my dealer today. PCNA told me flat that they have not sent letters out, but will be shortly. The recall code is AB01 and my dealer can see in the system that there is a campaign associated with this code in the system against my car, but there are no details yet. In addition, they have not released part numbers for the updated parts.

Here is the official recall notice from NHTSA. Porsche only notified NHTSA of the recall a week ago and the NHTSA notice was just released this week. Right now this is a US ONLY mandatory safety recall only for vehicles officially imported by PCNA to the US. In the official notice, it states that the issue is a hub, not a center lock nut, design defect that causes the nut to come loose and the corrective action is replacement of the hubs and wheels with components of an updated design. There is plenty more information through the web about this recall.

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
PORSCHE / 911 GT2 RS 2010-2011
PORSCHE / 911 GT3 2010-2011
PORSCHE / 911 GT3 RS 2010-2011
PORSCHE / 911 TURBO 2010-2011
PORSCHE / 911 TURBO S 2010-2011
Manufacturer: PORSCHE CARS NORTH AMERICA, INC. Mfr's Report Date: JUN 09, 2011
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 11V285000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: WHEELS:LUGS/NUTS/BOLTS
Potential Number of Units Affected: 1,702
Summary:
PORSCHE IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2010-2011, 911 TURBO; TURBO S, 911 GT3, GT3 RS AND GT2 RS HIGH PERFORMANCE VEHICLES, MANUFACTURED FROM MAY 18, 2009 THROUGH SEPTEMBER 17, 2010, AND EQUIPPED WITH CENTER LOCKING HUB AND WHEEL ASSEMBLIES. OVER TIME THE HUBS CAN WEAR PREMATURELY.
Consequence:
AS THE HUBS WEAR, THE WHEELS COULD LOOSEN, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE CENTRAL LOCKING HUBS AND WHEELS WITH AN IMPROVED DESIGN, FREE OF CHARGE. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT PORSCHE AT 1-800-767-7243.
Notes:
PORSCHE'S SAFETY RECALL NO. AB01. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

The symptom is a loose wheel nut. The actual cause is the hubs are wearing in an unusual way and can fail. They can fail whether or not the car is tracked and if you are using the old or new torque specs. Tracking just accelerates the wear. The reasons behind the recall are 4 incidents where the hubs failed/broke during track events. Through analyzing the part failures, Porsche determined this design defect and came up with this corrective action. This is well beyond the previous updated torque spec which was a result of initial analysis of nuts coming loose.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 06-17-2011 at 02:42 AM.
Old 06-17-2011 | 04:00 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJN
Dear Porsche AG,

Please replace my hubs and wheels with the traditional 5 lug type please, as this is how it should have come in the first place.

Thank you
+1,000,000
Old 06-17-2011 | 04:54 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Exactly what letters? I talked to both PCNA and my dealer today. PCNA told me flat that they have not sent letters out, but will be shortly. The recall code is AB01 and my dealer can see in the system that there is a campaign associated with this code in the system against my car, but there are no details yet. In addition, they have not released part numbers for the updated parts.

Here is the official recall notice from NHTSA. Porsche only notified NHTSA of the recall a week ago and the NHTSA notice was just released this week. Right now this is a US ONLY mandatory safety recall only for vehicles officially imported by PCNA to the US. In the official notice, it states that the issue is a hub, not a center lock nut, design defect that causes the nut to come loose and the corrective action is replacement of the hubs and wheels with components of an updated design. There is plenty more information through the web about this recall.

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
PORSCHE / 911 GT2 RS 2010-2011
PORSCHE / 911 GT3 2010-2011
PORSCHE / 911 GT3 RS 2010-2011
PORSCHE / 911 TURBO 2010-2011
PORSCHE / 911 TURBO S 2010-2011
Manufacturer: PORSCHE CARS NORTH AMERICA, INC. Mfr's Report Date: JUN 09, 2011
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 11V285000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: WHEELS:LUGS/NUTS/BOLTS
Potential Number of Units Affected: 1,702
Summary:
PORSCHE IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2010-2011, 911 TURBO; TURBO S, 911 GT3, GT3 RS AND GT2 RS HIGH PERFORMANCE VEHICLES, MANUFACTURED FROM MAY 18, 2009 THROUGH SEPTEMBER 17, 2010, AND EQUIPPED WITH CENTER LOCKING HUB AND WHEEL ASSEMBLIES. OVER TIME THE HUBS CAN WEAR PREMATURELY.
Consequence:
AS THE HUBS WEAR, THE WHEELS COULD LOOSEN, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE CENTRAL LOCKING HUBS AND WHEELS WITH AN IMPROVED DESIGN, FREE OF CHARGE. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT PORSCHE AT 1-800-767-7243.
Notes:
PORSCHE'S SAFETY RECALL NO. AB01. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

The symptom is a loose wheel nut. The actual cause is the hubs are wearing in an unusual way and can fail. They can fail whether or not the car is tracked and if you are using the old or new torque specs. Tracking just accelerates the wear. The reasons behind the recall are 4 incidents where the hubs failed/broke during track events. Through analyzing the part failures, Porsche determined this design defect and came up with this corrective action. This is well beyond the previous updated torque spec which was a result of initial analysis of nuts coming loose.

As per an earlier post, in Aus, we received letters a couple of weeks ago. Porsche are pretty clear on what they intend to do... They are replacing the bolts to prevent wear due to loose fitting components. As some cars have been on the road for close to 2 years, they are looking for signs of damage due to loose bolts and replacing accordingly... They indicated they wanted the car for a couple of hours. I doubt you could bo hubs, rotors, greasing, wheels and bolts in a couple of hours. I will be able to shed some more light in a couple of weeks when my car goes in....

https://rennlist.com/forums/8632141-post214.html

As for your suggestion, not so... The cause is loose bolts, the result is damage to hubs, wheels and rotors... The letter I feel is pretty clear about this.

The letter in the attachment....

Last edited by 911rox; 07-15-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-17-2011 | 05:16 AM
rlips
Instructor

Originally Posted by peer
Hey, me too!
I think they need to cover the girodiscs I just got in the mail today! Or maybe settle for redesigned slotted rotors from porsche, maybe a complimentary torque multiplier, their fancy breaker bar, an extra socket for the break/torque dance we have to do, a box of GT3 center caps, and a lifetime supply of optimoly paste.
Somehow this must affect the caliper bolts as well, right?
And I want a box of chocolates as well, preferably in the shape a little gt3s.......
Old 06-17-2011 | 09:42 AM
mdrums
Race Director

I think some are confusing hubs and CL nuts.

I wonderwhy the GTS is not part of this recall? Does the GTS have the better CL nuts so that there can be no domage to the Hubs? Are the Hubs on a GTS and GT3 and RS different?

Anyone have a parts list with pictures?
Old 06-17-2011 | 09:48 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Anyone called the 800 number yet? If, what is PCNA saying?
Old 06-17-2011 | 09:55 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Originally Posted by ATL Fahrer
Anyone called the 800 number yet? If, what is PCNA saying?
Yes I did. See me comments above. If you call, you need to provide your vin #.
Old 06-17-2011 | 10:56 AM
ATL Fahrer
Rennlist Member

Sorry about that. Saw you had called PCNA, didn't realize it was specific to the 800 number mentioned in the recall notice. Brain fart on my part. Thanks for the info!
Old 06-17-2011 | 12:09 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Dealer just told me there are no parts involved with the TSB. They simply take off the wheels, check for slipping, and then grease the CLs, put the wheels back on and retorque them. I'll get to it in due course. Heading to the track for my 7th and 8th day YTD.
Old 06-17-2011 | 12:51 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911rox
As per an earlier post, in Aus, we received letters a couple of weeks ago. Porsche are pretty clear on what they intend to do... They are replacing the bolts to prevent wear due to loose fitting components. As some cars have been on the road for close to 2 years, they are looking for signs of damage due to loose bolts and replacing accordingly... They indicated they wanted the car for a couple of hours. I doubt you could bo hubs, rotors, greasing, wheels and bolts in a couple of hours. I will be able to shed some more light in a couple of weeks when my car goes in....

https://rennlist.com/forums/8632141-post214.html

As for your suggestion, not so... The cause is loose bolts, the result is damage to hubs, wheels and rotors... The letter I feel is pretty clear about this.

The letter in the attachment....

The letter you received matches the TSB that was issued in the US in September last year. It was not a recall, just a bulletin when cars come in for service in the US. It looks like information takes longer (months?) to get that far south. Our recall in the US is not the same as the previous TSB.

Originally Posted by brownan
Dealer just told me there are no parts involved with the TSB. They simply take off the wheels, check for slipping, and then grease the CLs, put the wheels back on and retorque them. I'll get to it in due course. Heading to the track for my 7th and 8th day YTD.
This is not a TSB, it is a campaign (recall campaign to be specific). The previous TSB from September was the updated torque spec and lubing the center. Have them look for campaign AB01. I just picked up my car from the dealer this morning from having a muffler actuator replaced under warranty, they looked it up and PCNA has not provided details on the campaign yet. They did say it could be a couple of months before the campaign actually kicks off. They should be able to at least enter you VIN and see there is a campaign against it. The previous TSB should come up every time your car goes in for service.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 06-17-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-17-2011 | 01:33 PM
tjsmaryland
Rennlist Member

I called my dealer (Porsche of Towson) today and asked about campaign AB01. He checked my VIN and confirmed my 3 is included. He said he would have 4 CL bolts ordered, and that he could schedule me in for replacement next week. When I asked about what the new bolts were about, he said the markings on the new ones will show the new higher installation torque.

Dealer called me back about 45 minutes later to check the color of my CL nuts. I told him they are gray, but now I wonder if I should have used the opportunity to change to black or red.
Old 06-17-2011 | 02:51 PM
Polarporsche
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by brim
I wonder if they made the fix on cars built after 9/10? The wheels look the same so I am guessing its more of a hub issue, but I am no engineer.
Hey brim, congrat's on the new car, nice upgrade.

Russ

Quick Reply: The Center-Lock recall...