Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The Center-Lock recall...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011 | 02:22 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Originally Posted by Izzone
Wonder if I can keep my old one's as spares.......doubt there is anything worng with them....besides they are turning purple
Every part that's removed during the recall has to be returned to the factory -- either they want to keep them off the road or they want to examine for further issues (and probably send back to the OEM to complete the recall cost recovery.)

I've seen galling and excessive where on some cars, so I'm guessing there will be instances of new wheels, even new hubs. At the very least, have the wheels cleaned (they should be pretty greasy around the hub given the new "lathering" procedure for the nuts.) and inspected for any signs of fatigue (surface abrasion, discoloration.) If you don't have a rock solid tech you know and trust at the dealership, you're going to have to roll up your sleeves and get involved in this one.

I expect almost every car will have new alignment pins and bolts, new locking spline and new nuts. I don't see any problem choosing the color of the lock nut. I believe the "default" is black now, so you'd probably have to ask for the gray.

You probably won't get new dust covers and you probably won't get brake rotors, but it seems that some cars have had the rear rotors replaced, but I've not been able to discovery what's up with changing the rear rotors.
Tech told me if the nut was ever loose, rotor hat damage could have occurred. I was in the shop and watched the entire process.

Recall is a function of under torqued cl nuts. I always torqued mine to 600 with wheels off the ground.

All I needed was nuts without 500 nm on them. They look exactly the same
Old 06-22-2011 | 02:43 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Tech told me if the nut was ever loose, rotor hat damage could have occurred. I was in the shop and watched the entire process.

Recall is a function of under torqued cl nuts. I always torqued mine to 600 with wheels off the ground.

Interesting. I've heard of some cars not getting the locking spline pin replaced. Next time you have a wheel off, I'd suggest you check the splines -- there will almost invariably be a point where the splines have been marked by the wheel moving relative to the hub. And the tech should have inspected/replaced the guide dowel pins and screws -- they would be showing surface wear (scratches in the anodizing.) I guess if your car was handled carefully and not tracked before the 600Nm procedure was published, even the guide pins could be in good condition.
Old 06-22-2011 | 03:29 PM
Ritesh
Pro

WOW - just finished reading the thread!! And to think I was thinking of uprgrading to the 3.8 RS! I think I will just wait and see how this pans out.
Old 06-22-2011 | 03:57 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Carrera GT

Interesting. I've heard of some cars not getting the locking spline pin replaced. Next time you have a wheel off, I'd suggest you check the splines -- there will almost invariably be a point where the splines have been marked by the wheel moving relative to the hub. And the tech should have inspected/replaced the guide dowel pins and screws -- they would be showing surface wear (scratches in the anodizing.) I guess if your car was handled carefully and not tracked before the 600Nm procedure was published, even the guide pins could be in good condition.
No noticeable scratches, we inspected it all

I just take proper care
Old 06-22-2011 | 04:01 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

WOW - just finished reading the thread!! And to think I was thinking of uprgrading to the 3.8 RS! I think I will just wait and see how this pans out.
You're waisting time.
Old 06-22-2011 | 04:08 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mine went in the shop today for its first annual service at 1000 miles. They performed the centerlock inspection and will have to replace the nuts, bearings, and spindles due to excessive wear.
Old 06-22-2011 | 04:44 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I'm at 11K miles..
Old 06-22-2011 | 07:17 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Sloth
Mine went in the shop today for its first annual service at 1000 miles. They performed the centerlock inspection and will have to replace the nuts, bearings, and spindles due to excessive wear.
When they replace the nuts, bearings, spindles....it is with the same part number I believe

What torque setting did you use when tightening your wheels?
Old 06-22-2011 | 07:46 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Ritesh
You're missing out on a great car. Just buy a RS that has had the recall done....no real big deal.
Old 06-22-2011 | 08:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ritesh
there is nothing to worry about ... do it!
Old 06-22-2011 | 08:07 PM
rlips
Instructor

Originally Posted by rlips
Strange, I called my dealer today. He checked and confirmed my VIN # is subject to recall. I have purple (gray) bolts, when I asked if they could order them black he said the recall stated a specific part # for my VIN and he could not do this.

Should I seek another dealer?
The other thing my dealer told me was that they could not do while I wait, because "we need to grease certain parts."

Obviously, what they really want to do is charge a loaner car to Porsche. I called back today and reminded them that I have spent over a quarter of a million dollars with the last two cars and that I was not happy.

The service writer then decided that, lo and behold, they COULd do the procedure while I wait and although they were "different part numbers" he would do me the favor of getting black bolts.

The more I see of the poor level of service Porsche dealers seem to offer, the more fed up I have become....
Old 06-22-2011 | 08:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

just called PCNA, the AB01 recall letters are apparently in the mail.

... and ...

my vin# is subject to recall.
Old 06-22-2011 | 08:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

When they replace the nuts, bearings, spindles....it is with the same part number I believe

What torque setting did you use when tightening your wheels?
the nuts have a different p/n since it deletes the erroneous "500nm" tightening spec ... dont know about other p/ns. I assume they will replace any OEM part that appears to show wear/damage caused by the wheel being "loose" when torqued to 500nm instead of 600nm... in such case I would expect those parts to be the "same" ... unless there are other components that contribute to the problem other than the nut assy itself.
Old 06-22-2011 | 09:17 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Originally Posted by mdrums
You're missing out on a great car. Just buy a RS that has had the recall done....no real big deal.
Originally Posted by Larry Cable
there is nothing to worry about ... do it!
THIS IS WHY I RARELY POST ON RENNLIST!! Too much damn peer pressure!!

Finances are in flux right now. I have a buyer interested in my Cobalt Blue. I was thinking of getting a MP4(have a deposit on it) but I just don't know what the heck I would do with it. So I am leaning towards just upgrading to a RS.

Sorry to derail the thread. Back to the topic at hand...
Old 06-22-2011 | 09:24 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Just now picked up Gisele from Stevens Creek Porsche in Santa Clara, CA for this recall repair work. The parts manager sent me an e-mail notifying me of the recall. He e-mailed me later to ask what color nut I wanted. Beyond the nut replacement, they also swapped out the red nipples, as mine had a fair amount of gauling. They even noted that a couple were loose (I already knew this, but didn't bother to fix it as I had hoped they would simply replace them - which they did!).

I just wish they had replaced my dust caps too. I lost one on the last track day. They all feel kinda iffy now. That metal cap is too thin for all the workout I give 'em. I've decided to simply leave them off at the track.

All in all, I'm pretty happy - although, I'd be super happy if they replaced my rotors as they had done for some lucky Rennlister. LOL

Quick Reply: The Center-Lock recall...