Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Waiting for the BMW guys' post.
Do you trust RoRo?
What about extra tires and stuff? Get it all on the other side? I guess I could ship a couple of rear tires in the car, but then I'll have to buy some sets on the other side.

Should be doable. Not in the mood to start today/tomorrow with my car at the dealer :-(
I will start work on Monday, but if we can do RoRo and get some support from local ships in Belgium/germany, I think it can fit my budget.
I trust RoRo, since this is how all US bound cars are shipped (with the exception of the occasional GT2RS that missed the boat)

I think shipping anything but a car will only add cost and complexity to the process which is highly desirable to avoid ... so I would opt to buy anything you
need in the EU either that or ship it separately from the car via FedEx or UPS ...

I have a contact at E H Harms I will ping them to see what their view on this is

1st thing I would probably do is drop the car with Manthey and get an alignment and service, it may even make sense to 'lodge' the car with them, as this is a service they already offer
Old 02-01-2011, 06:44 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

The good news just keeps coming.

I have a RoRo price of $1200.00 +++ but I'd go with the most experienced safest shipper.
$1500.00 is good. More beer money

Manthey would be my place of choice. Nice and close to the Ring..
So, UPS Toyo's and hide the pads and tools in the car?
Old 02-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
The good news just keeps coming.

I have a RoRo price of $1200.00 +++ but I'd go with the most experienced safest shipper.
$1500.00 is good. More beer money

Manthey would be my place of choice. Nice and close to the Ring..
So, UPS Toyo's and hide the pads and tools in the car?
only if you never want to see them again ... both when I relocated my '04 and when I brought my BMW home from euro delivery it was drilled into me that no extraneous items may be shipped with the car, customs at one end or another will impound/dispose of them ... if the shipping guys dont steal them 1st.

sent email to E H Harms contact, will report back when I hear from them and Porsche.de on the G Force events.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:18 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

OK, tools and the pads in the overhead. Check.
Keep me posted.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Default PSDS G-Force training dates in Leipzig

There are only 2 G-Force trainings this year:

7-8th May
24th-25th Sept

(1790 euros)

Eagle-eyed I note that both these dates "immediately" precede a 2 day course at the Nordschleife ...

9th-10th May
29th-30th Sept

(1822 euros)

hence it would be possible to attend G-Force then "drift" your way around the NS

Old 02-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Default PSDS registration form...

OK I have the PSDS registration form for the G-Force and Nordschleife events,
fill in and return to:

Sabine Sinn
Projektleitung / Project Manager

Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG
Marketing Services
Porsche Sport Driving School
Porschestraße 15-19
71634 Ludwigsburg

Telefon: +49 (0) 711 / 911 78991
Fax: +49 (0) 711 / 911 78685
E-Mail: sabine.sinn@porsche.de
sportdrivingschool@porsche.de

Note that neither event offers car rental!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
PSDS - Registration 2011.pdf (60.0 KB, 109 views)
Old 02-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Default EH Harms quote worksheet

I contacted E. H. Harms (Cherie Lampkin) cheriel@eharms.com in regard to shipping cars and she has provided a worksheet to be completed and sent to her to enable her to create a quote etc.

Cherie notes that importing directly into Germany will result in a temporary import bond (probably VAT/GST + import duty) so that could be *costly*!

Belgium seems like another option, but I have also asked her if there are any other locations that might also be available.

If/when returning the form let me know, I can ping cherie to let her know that this is associated with this effort, as apparently we might get preferential rates!

worksheet attached:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
EHHarms Worksheet.pdf (54.6 KB, 115 views)
Old 02-04-2011, 12:28 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Scuderia Hanseat is canceled for first time in 52 years! Mark that as a no for planning.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by carrering
Scuderia Hanseat is canceled for first time in 52 years! Mark that as a no for planning.
Wow that is NOT a good sign wrt the state of the Ring ...
Old 02-04-2011, 01:01 PM
GuyR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scuderia Hanseat have a contract until 2015 but the 'ring are reneging on it and tried to increase prices 60%. They also told Scuderia that they could not have the traditional Weds Practice Day then Thurs-Sat for the course, but only Weds-Fri for the course. NS are trying to free up Saturdays for public as that's more money for them.

It is really bad news as Scuderia Hanseat are such a permanent feature of the year with their two big courses. Glad I did it twice when times were better.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GuyR
Scuderia Hanseat have a contract until 2015 but the 'ring are reneging on it and tried to increase prices 60%. They also told Scuderia that they could not have the traditional Weds Practice Day then Thurs-Sat for the course, but only Weds-Fri for the course. NS are trying to free up Saturdays for public as that's more money for them.

It is really bad news as Scuderia Hanseat are such a permanent feature of the year with their two big courses. Glad I did it twice when times were better.
This is very bad news; apparently the Intl Drivers School that the BMW club puts on annually is also under question.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Robert993TT
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
More info:

http://mikefrison.com/english/
Old 02-06-2011, 05:39 PM
GT3RS Scotland
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 days drift training followed by 2 days at the ring sounds like a ball. Does the gforce price include a car or do you use your own (tyres)? You'd really want a couple of days in the Alps as well, surely? The mountain passes are astonishing.

I've done the Silverstone experience you get as a new car buyer. That's a half day and you get a lot of driving. Excellent facility with various skid pads and the handling course. Good fun and very educational but not sure if it's worth the hassle of getting to/from if you're also going to Germany. Leipzig sounds as good or better. The M25 (London bypass) is more of a car park than an Autobahn!
Old 02-06-2011, 07:44 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

the drift training is with your own car and they do NOT rent vehicles for it. I asked last year. just get some cheapy tires for the rear and have at it! I'm in, but probably in september.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:01 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robert993TT
thanks for the link.

The RingCard is just idiotic.

I purchased a season pass in January and received the wrist band with an rfid tag to wave at the gate, an id-card, and 2 ring cards (50€ each) that only work at the eifeldorf and won't buy you even a cup of coffee at the devils diner. whats ironic is the ring card I had to buy in order to purchase my coffee has a picture of eifeldorf on it. I now have to carry 4 cards around with me.

Now all the rental companies are facing steep fees to rent their cars on the track during public days!

you guys better come out while there is still a nurburgring left.

Quick Reply: Thinking about the ultimate euro trip...This summer