Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thinking about the ultimate euro trip...This summer

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by maximu5
Just to warm you up for the Nordschleife ;-)

Tom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oniyAvkO4Q
cheers!!! ... curious about your charactisation of the "racing" line ... can you offer a couple of examples where it "differs" significantly ...

8:15 BtoG in traffic is not too shabby ... looks like a nice day ... private track day?

Thanks

Larry (T-2 days and counting)
Old 06-15-2011, 10:54 PM
maximu5
Advanced

Location: Brussels, Belgium, 1 hour West of Spa, 2 hours West of the Ring ;-)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Larry,
the Racing Line is merely the name of a track day organiser - http://www.the-racing-line.co.uk/ - who provide video equipment and their output is marked with their logo. So I am not suggesting that my racing line in any way is better or special. Not sure what Rapid's comment on racing lines is about either. This was a private day organised by the Racing Line.
best
Tom
Old 06-15-2011, 11:59 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Larry,
the Racing Line is merely the name of a track day organiser - http://www.the-racing-line.co.uk/ - who provide video equipment and their output is marked with their logo. So I am not suggesting that my racing line in any way is better or special. Not sure what Rapid's comment on racing lines is about either. This was a private day organised by the Racing Line.
best
Tom
Doh! now I feel Homer Simpson levels of stupidity ... I read the title literally!

time for a Duff I think!
Old 06-16-2011, 03:23 AM
RAPID
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Larry,
best
Tom
Oops, I also read this wrong and assumed you were pointing at the racing line for the Noordschleife. I still think you were a little aggressive at the Carousel. Fast lap though...
Old 06-16-2011, 03:33 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

guys, sorry I can't go. I have my son's birthday this weekend. also went last weekend and i have the 24hr race the following week. hope the weather holds up! currently looks like rain, but that changes at the drop of a hat.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:16 AM
maximu5
Advanced

Location: Brussels, Belgium, 1 hour West of Spa, 2 hours West of the Ring ;-)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Larry and Rapid,
no probs; I had never realised that the logo could suggest that I wanted "to show how it is done" in terms of racing line. Far from it. In fact this was the very first time I drove this car on any track and it was not a very good lap for me. The car is set up for Spa, i.e. low and rock hard, the safety belts weren't adjusted properly and I ran it on the tyres I bought it on, i.e. some agricultural Dunlop. When I review the vid I see countless errors, so I will post a better one soon.
best
Tom

Last edited by maximu5; 06-16-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Hi All, sorry I missed some of you at the weekend, my cellphone voicemail seemed unhappy in Germany ...

weather was generally crap ... managed a few laps in an M92 M3 ... still not a GT3 but cheaper!

saw 2 Veron's on Sunday night ... one was a super sport ....

all in all a good weekend ... could have been dryer ... but still had fun!
Old 06-21-2011, 04:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Larry and Rapid,
no probs; I had never realised that the logo could suggest that I wanted "to show how it is done" in terms of racing line. Far from it. In fact this was the very first time I drove this car on any track and it was not a very good lap for me. The car is set up for Spa, i.e. low and rock hard, the safety belts weren't adjusted properly and I ran it on the tyres I bought it on, i.e. some agricultural Dunlop. When I review the vid I see countless errors, so I will post a better one soon.
best
Tom
Hey Tom, my fault for being too literal!!!

I can imagine that a stiff (Spa) suspension would be a nightmare at the Ring, hell even sports setting on a .1 is too stiff ...

weather was pretty nasty, Saturday being better than Sunday, had a few moments even on PS2's ... maybe it was just the M3 ... anyway any lap on
the ring is a good lap (if you come back in one piece!)
Old 06-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Default Why I hate Bikers @ the Ring ...

I had been following this chump for a while ... I sometimes wonder if Bikers EVER use their mirrors for anything other than admiring themselves in ... his buddy (ahead) finally alerted him to our presence on the exit of AF ...

I sometimes have impure thoughts involving large spears protuding from the front of the car! is that wrong?

Attached Images  
Old 06-21-2011, 04:19 PM
RAPID
Racer

Sorry I chickened out Larry, but the weather was not really inviting. Did you get any picture of the Veron's? Never seen one at/on the Ring....
Old 06-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RAPID
Sorry I chickened out Larry, but the weather was not really inviting. Did you get any picture of the Veron's? Never seen one at/on the Ring....
no apologies needed ... it was less than inviting Saturday and less so Sunday ...

I didnt have my camera handy, but my friends did, I will post the veron pics when I can get them ...

amazing to see the campers already arriving for the VLN this coming weekend!

they are INSANE!
Old 06-21-2011, 04:32 PM
RAPID
Racer

Yes the 24hours are a sort of pilgrimage for Ring enthusiasts and pistonheads in general, I wish I had the stamina and go once...
Old 06-21-2011, 06:17 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I had been following this chump for a while ... I sometimes wonder if Bikers EVER use their mirrors for anything other than admiring themselves in ... his buddy (ahead) finally alerted him to our presence on the exit of AF ...

I sometimes have impure thoughts involving large spears protuding from the front of the car! is that wrong?

Last year I got stuck for more than half a lap behind a biker WITHOUT mirrors . You get frustrated but it's not worth taking the risk to outbrake him or do other silly things and cause an accident. I was happy to have a jahreskarte so it didn't matter if I lost a lap due to some nitwit, so I just backed off and waited.

Then again, some people with cars aren't better. Have been stuck once behind a 997 Carrera Cab who's driver prolly thought he was going as fast as possible on that track because you could SEE the PSM correcting the car in every corner

No need to check the mirrors if you are the fastest
Old 06-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Last year I got stuck for more than half a lap behind a biker WITHOUT mirrors . You get frustrated but it's not worth taking the risk to outbrake him or do other silly things and cause an accident. I was happy to have a jahreskarte so it didn't matter if I lost a lap due to some nitwit, so I just backed off and waited.

Then again, some people with cars aren't better. Have been stuck once behind a 997 Carrera Cab who's driver prolly thought he was going as fast as possible on that track because you could SEE the PSM correcting the car in every corner

No need to check the mirrors if you are the fastest
I was about to take him on the right (I know ... I know) but it was apparent that he either didnt see me or was stupid enough to chance it that I would not take his line ...

later that day I got stuck behind some clown in Renault Alpine all the way down Lauda Links towards Bergwerk ... he finally deigned to get out of the way after I sat on his bumper for a while ...

touristfahren ... sigh
Old 06-21-2011, 06:42 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I was about to take him on the right (I know ... I know) but it was apparent that he either didnt see me or was stupid enough to chance it that I would not take his line ...

later that day I got stuck behind some clown in Renault Alpine all the way down Lauda Links towards Bergwerk ... he finally deigned to get out of the way after I sat on his bumper for a while ...

touristfahren ... sigh
Stupid question... would the car horn help?

Quick Reply: Thinking about the ultimate euro trip...This summer