Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thinking about the ultimate euro trip...This summer

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by gmunro
It's RMA: http://www.rmatrackdays.com/. Very good outfit I believe.

Zandvoort as well! Are there any banks nearby I could rob to fund this trip? Or - I could take some drugs with me to sell in Amsterdam!
RMA are (IMHO) about the best trackday outfit in the UK ...
Old 02-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deputydog95
A friend and I have been talking about a similar trip over the past couple weeks. However, we don't wanted to get tangled with the effort in bringing our cars over.

Any suggestions for doing track days overseas, including the ring, using rentals? I'm not really worried about setting records, it would just be fun to experience some different tracks while on a euro tour.
As Carrering mentioned, things are difficult now at the Ring which is a great shame. Theo and Heide at rentracecar.de are great folks and have well prepared cars (and can also provide instruction on-track) Equally there are
other outfits with similar reputations, however they are now excluded from
renting (RSRNurburg is such an example).

Also, renting from Avis or Sixt etc is risky, you are explicitly excluded from using their cars in any form of track based activity, and in the past when
'caught' the results have resulted in heavy charges for consumables etc.

There are many european track day organisers, RMA, Manthey, RSRNurburg to name but a few. You can also obtain private instruction.

Porsche and BMW run corporate schools at tracks such as the Ring (Porsche in particular) there are other organisations such as the Scuderia Hanseat (sadly they are not running a school at the Ring this year due to the problems there)
as well as the German BMW Club, they have not yet announced dates for their school this year, so they are probably also under threat.

If you are interested in meeting up with other RLers this summer, lets chat!
Old 02-11-2011, 02:04 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Theo and Heide at rentracecar.de are great folks
I rented a BMW 120I car from them. That's all the car you need the first couple of days at least. They were great, just e-mail them or call them with your questions. I have their card.
Even if I ship my car, I probably take a slow rental for the first day..Self preservation..
Old 02-11-2011, 04:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Too bad we ran out of Daf's.

The CVT tranmission was a Dutch Daf invention, hence speed both the same bachwards and forwards LOL The good old times at Zandvoort ;-)
http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/1326...oude_doos.html
Old 02-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Too bad we ran out of Daf's.

The CVT tranmission was a Dutch Daf invention, hence speed both the same bachwards and forwards LOL The good old times at Zandvoort ;-)
http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/1326...oude_doos.html
amazing ... I had forgotten about the DAF CVT transmissions!

reminds me a little of a NASA HPDE I/II/III event at Sears ...
Old 02-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I rented a BMW 120I car from them. That's all the car you need the first couple of days at least. They were great, just e-mail them or call them with your questions. I have their card.
Even if I ship my car, I probably take a slow rental for the first day..Self preservation..
good idea ... or get someone to ride along. I'd be happy to!
Old 02-11-2011, 04:58 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Really? I hate to sit passenger so that's worth one 0.5L beer per lap, paid in advance to give you some extra courage..

No reply from Geico or shipping company yet. Probably next week..
Old 02-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Really? I hate to sit passenger so that's worth one 0.5L beer per lap, paid in advance to give you some extra courage..

No reply from Geico or shipping company yet. Probably next week..
totally, I am a ring/beer ***** ... bring it on!

I got pings from both EH Harms and GEICO telling me that they were working on it!

Old 02-11-2011, 05:11 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Ahh, we should be good to go then..

A new ring pic? Time to update it with the smurf blue I thought..

I mentioned your name in the e-mails, hopefully I get an e-mail back next week with prices and suggestions
Old 02-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Default remembering my 1st trip to the Ring ...

Ahh, we should be good to go then..

A new ring pic? Time to update it with the smurf blue I thought..I mentioned your name in the e-mails, hopefully I get an e-mail back next week with prices and suggestions
Yup, I was digging thru my old files and found this picture of ny 1st school at the ring in 2001 when I had my '99 996 GT3 Clubsport ... I thought since its ten years, and I dont have a pic of the '10 in the same location that I would post
this ... until I can replace with the mex car ...

You cannot see it in the avatar, but just for kicks since it was a BMW school I printed off a BMW hood roundel on sticky paper and put it over the hood badge, at the rear I added an "M" ...

Driving the Ring for the 1st time in a CS (which was by far the most powerful car I had owned to date) was daunting ... even after doing section and full lap lead/follows for 2 days the moment I got out on the track alone I had no idea where the line was ... blasting up from kesselchen to klostertal at 130+ I realized I had no idea what the next corner was ... scary!
Attached Images   
Old 02-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Ahh, we should be good to go then..A new ring pic? Time to update it with the smurf blue I thought..

I mentioned your name in the e-mails, hopefully I get an e-mail back next week with prices and suggestions
totally I did this with Carrering last year at the BMW school I think he found it useful ... there are a couple of videos of our laps on youtube ... sadly we didnt have audio so my comments are drowned out ... this time I will bring a helmet audio system ... wanna do an 8 min BtoG lap?

Old 02-11-2011, 05:37 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

LOL on the badges

I remember watching Jim's video's.

daunting ... even after doing section and full lap lead/follows for 2 days the moment I got out on the track alone I had no idea where the line was ... blasting up from kesselchen to klostertal at 130+ I realized I had no idea what the next corner was ... scary!
I did some real scary stuff for 6 straight laps in the rentaracecar BMW 120I..
8 minutes.. I prefer to live to drink another mass.
Attached Images   

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 02-11-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:41 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
... blasting up from kesselchen to klostertal at 130+ I realized I had no idea what the next corner was ... scary!
In the BMW 520d I had at the 'Ring school a couple of years back, that was a fairly straightforward flat-out stretch (at least until Mutkurve). I assume it wasn't that easy or flat-out in a 996 GT3 CS?
Old 02-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fuenfer
In the BMW 520d I had at the 'Ring school a couple of years back, that was a fairly straightforward flat-out stretch (at least until Mutkurve). I assume it wasn't that easy or flat-out in a 996 GT3 CS?
Eerrr ... NO! especially since it was my 1st time, and I had no one to follow at the time I was completely lost ... the turn-in to Kesselchen from the uphill
section from Bergwerk is a little tippytoe at speed, then the "striaght" up to
Klosterthal is pretty much pedal down ... its only when you get to mutkurve,
that deserves a LOT of respect at speed ... that whole section is one of the
fastest on the circuit next to front straight, flugplatz, fuchsrore, and pflanzgarten ... sigh ... I have withdrawal syndromes!

as you may know a couple of guys got killed there during the school when they lost control, rolled and landed on top of the ARMCO barriers ...
Old 02-12-2011, 09:33 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Everything I've read so far says that newbs to the track should use a low hp, front wheel drive car as the track is so treacherous. I think I'm going to heed their advice

Shame about all those rental companies. I was looking at several online. None of them are publicizing on their site about not being able to rent. I'm assuming they're trying to keep business going till they can get this resolved.

For me, never haven driven the ring and then track rentals being so cheap (relatively), that's the route I'm going to attempt. The cost and hassle of shipping the car and having spare parts is not something I want to get involved with on vacation. Not to mention it would totally suck to have a major problem over there in my car.

Great info in this thread. The news about the rental limitations is a downer... I've found a couple good sites to help with the research such as: http://www.heiser.net/documents/nurburgring/

Do you guys have your dates set yet?

Quick Reply: Thinking about the ultimate euro trip...This summer