Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Thinking about the ultimate euro trip...This summer

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 11:31 PM
Horstair
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

[QUOTE=TRAKCAR;8505074]It's just not the same in a rental car
I know Peter. But it beats renting an "Opel"... I get my turning done here on our tracks and get the high speed driving out of my system on the Autobahn. I grew up in Southern Germany and drove half of my life without a speed limit so I'm deprived over here somewhat.. (and yes I know, any idiot can push a gas pedal to the floor going straight- but it's still a lot of fun going over 180mph .
On the weather, while June and September are the best bets, July and August are warmer with early pm Thundershowers and then a nice cool late evening enjoying ein Dunkles Schneider Weizen mit Weisswurst (and a Bretzel or two).
By the way, if you want a really fast car to rent, here it is:
http://www.avis.de/Lamborghini. Tschuess, Horst.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:48 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,605 Likes on 2,344 Posts

Originally Posted by Horstair
Will miss you guys at the Ring in June. I plan to be there 07/12 (Tuesday eve) and 07/17 (Sunday). That Tuesday, die GP Strecke is also open which would be my first time. Have driven die Nordschleife many times. When I visit my homeland twice a year, I always rent a 4S Cab with sport exhaust (much louder than what we have here :-)and yes, I have hit 293 km/h with my wife in the car... we're still married! Some of the best stretches of open autobahn are the A1 and A60 just north of the Ring (some bad pavement, though). That's where the British, Dutch and Belgians drive to the Ring. One totally deserted and "brand-new" 4 lane Autobahn (rare) is north of Leipzig on the way to Dresden (A14). Sheer insanity, I drove between 250-280 for about 20 minutes!! But my favorite stretch and close to home is the A9 between Nuernberg and Ingolstadt (a little downhill :-), also 4 lanes. That's the road that Audi uses a lot to test their cars (lots of R8's). If you're interested in BMW's, drive A92 just north of Muenchen. Bavaria and the former southern East Germany states is where the fewest speed limits are. Most of Northern Germany and the Southwest is either 120 or 130 km/h which will put you to sleep...
Anyway, I digress... If anyone of you guys are there mid-July, let me know. My son and I are there for the Women's Soccer World Championship. Tschuess, Horstair.

dare I ask where you rent from?
Old 04-27-2011, 01:50 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Horstair;8505133]
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
It's just not the same in a rental car
I know Peter. But it beats renting an "Opel"... I get my turning done here on our tracks and get the high speed driving out of my system on the Autobahn. I grew up in Southern Germany and drove half of my life without a speed limit so I'm deprived over here somewhat.. (and yes I know, any idiot can push a gas pedal to the floor going straight- but it's still a lot of fun going over 180mph .
On the weather, while June and September are the best bets, July and August are warmer with early pm Thundershowers and then a nice cool late evening enjoying ein Dunkles Schneider Weizen mit Weisswurst (and a Bretzel or two).
By the way, if you want a really fast car to rent, here it is:
http://www.avis.de/Lamborghini. Tschuess, Horst.
time for a nor cal GT3 beer meet!

Last edited by Larry Cable; 04-27-2011 at 01:50 AM. Reason: iPad spellchecker
Old 04-27-2011, 07:35 AM
Ferdie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Horstair
Some of the best stretches of open autobahn are the A1 and A60 just north of the Ring (some bad pavement, though). That's where the British, Dutch and Belgians drive to the Ring.
I personally prefer the A3 between Frankfurt and Cologne, not necessarily devastated but with plenty of curves and elevation changes. They have established the occasional speed limits on some parts though...
Old 04-27-2011, 08:28 AM
RAPID
Racer

Was there las week end, easter week end is a bit of a mad house on the ring. I still managed to do some good laps.
When we get nearer the time we should arrange to have a meal at the Pistenklause, I can book a table when I know how many will make it...
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2011, 09:08 AM
Condor Man
Three Wheelin'

Received 299 Likes on 121 Posts

Are any of you guys going to the Carrera World Cup at the end of June in Nurburgring??
Old 04-27-2011, 09:19 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

I will consider Avis as well, but I like renting a racecar with proper seats and brakes.
Depends on where I fly into and if i will borrow a car for the trip or need to rent one.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:30 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

http://press.porsche.com/motorsport/...ase.php?id=734
Anyone going?
Old 06-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

We should link up. I will not be in a GT3 Cup, but a Stage 2 Suzuki Swift Sport June 19th. We'll be staying at the Hotel Wilhelmshöhe. Shoot me an email at harris.patrick@gmail.com.

Hopefully, we'll link up for a beer.

-Patrick
Old 06-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Hey patrick! Sounds like a plan

I am at rennhotel in meuspath, probably pistenklause Sunday night .. or maybe blau ecke if weather is nice!

Larry.cable@yahoo.com
Old 06-07-2011, 08:54 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Old 06-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
you are but a plane ticket away...
Old 06-08-2011, 07:58 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
great news! I arrive on the Friday 17th... staying at RennHotel (because Am Tiergarten is full) will undoubtedly be in Pistenklause for beers and steak on a stone ... if you want a few refresher laps let me know!

- Larry
Originally Posted by RAPID
Was there las week end, easter week end is a bit of a mad house on the ring. I still managed to do some good laps.
When we get nearer the time we should arrange to have a meal at the Pistenklause, I can book a table when I know how many will make it...
Originally Posted by Paddy
We should link up. I will not be in a GT3 Cup, but a Stage 2 Suzuki Swift Sport June 19th. We'll be staying at the Hotel Wilhelmshöhe. Shoot me an email at harris.patrick@gmail.com.

Hopefully, we'll link up for a beer.

-Patrick
Less than two weeks away!

Larry, I will get to the Ring Saturday afternoon, top up my ring card, check out my car. If I am feeling fresh, I may take a few laps. If you will be driving Saturday afternoon/evening, I would appreciate any laps as passenger you could offer. I have never actually been around in the passenger seat - it should be an interesting experience....

Beer and steak at the Pistenklause Saturday night? Should we be organized, take a count and get a reservation, or just wing it?

I will be in a BMW 330i from RentRaceCar all day Sunday. I have to be in Bremen (4 hour drive) by midnight, so no epic beer drinking for me on Sunday. If anyone wants to gather for dinner Sunday night, I am in, but I have to roll at 8PM

See you next weekend!

Last edited by facelvega; 06-08-2011 at 08:16 PM. Reason: speleng
Old 06-09-2011, 02:12 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by facelvega
Less than two weeks away!

Larry, I will get to the Ring Saturday afternoon, top up my ring card, check out my car. If I am feeling fresh, I may take a few laps. If you will be driving Saturday afternoon/evening, I would appreciate any laps as passenger you could offer. I have never actually been around in the passenger seat - it should be an interesting experience....

Beer and steak at the Pistenklause Saturday night? Should we be organized, take a count and get a reservation, or just wing it?

I will be in a BMW 330i from RentRaceCar all day Sunday. I have to be in Bremen (4 hour drive) by midnight, so no epic beer drinking for me on Sunday. If anyone wants to gather for dinner Sunday night, I am in, but I have to roll at 8PM

See you next weekend!
passenger seat is always open, looks like I will be driving an M3 so look around the car park for one driven by a fat balding scotsman ...

not sure if you can book pistenklause or not; I'll be there with a bunch of other mad scots ... so my plans are a bit fluid ...

I'll PM you my cell # ...

Larry
Old 06-09-2011, 05:56 AM
RAPID
Racer

I will be there latest Saturday afternoon 14h, perhaps even Friday evening. As far as booking Pistenklause, it is a case of turning up in the afternoon and asking Patrizio to keep a table...Best is to p.m each other a couple of days before and take it from there.

Quick Reply: Thinking about the ultimate euro trip...This summer