Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Stoptech Sport Trophy Big Brake Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010 | 03:42 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpeedGT3
As a dealer, I am sure GMG doesnt control what the VEDOR (STOPTECH) posts on their website. Also, if you are contacting BREMBO directly, why dont you contact STOPTECH directly, and speak to them, as they are the manufacturer of the product and will have that information on their finger tips.

I am sure the information you are requesting can be provided in a much faster way by delivering the request in a PRIVATE EMAIL, to James rather than a public forum. You seem pretty computer savy, I am sure you can google STOPTECH and get the answers you are looking for.

Here, I will help you out.

STOPTECH
Sales Contact
Jeremy Barras
+1 714 293 3526jeremy@barras.com

For questions regarding applications, availability or general StopTech product questions, please contact StopTech sales at +1 310 933 1100 or sales@stoptech.com
Please re-read the first paragraph of the previous post. Thanks.
Old 11-02-2010 | 03:48 PM
SpeedGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by Nizer
Please re-read the first paragraph of the previous post. Thanks.
Read my post again...........

THATS WHY I PROVIDED THEIR NUMBER.

Old 11-02-2010 | 04:58 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

SpeedGT3: As already stated, I've emailed StopTech directly in the past and met with no success.

Regarding Googling to get data, I've been able to find rotor weights in one of the website data sheets (see: http://www.stoptech.com/Products/img...rDataSheet.pdf) but I've been unable to find Hat, Caliper, or Hardware weights/data. You're obviously much more knowledgeable than me so if you can show me where this data is located on StopTech's site it'd be much appreciated. Please note that I'm looking for verified data, not third-hand claims.

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2010 | 07:37 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Good to know. Here's an actual photo of GMG's entrant at Lime Rock ALMS.
Nizer... actually if you look at speed's post he specifically said "GMG WORLD CHALLENGE cars use stoptech"... as you wrote and showed in the picture... that is the ALMS car running brembo's.... 2 totally different cars, drivers, and series.... and as James explained it was more up to the owners of the car... if it was a GMG owned car Im sure it would have ST brakes.

Separate Note:

I had the chance to upgrade my front 997S brakes to anything i wanted.. after months of research I chose the StopTech BBK, because of the superior engineering and quality.... they build a better product IMO.... and when it's a track car if you don't have confidence in your brakes.. you might as well keep the car in the garage.

If you are going to upgrade your brakes from GT3 stock, I would do Stoptech;s in a heartbeat. (But I think your stock brakes are great). Each kit is engineered for each car and its master cylinder and piston sizes... not a one size fits all like other BBK's.
Old 11-03-2010 | 01:31 AM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Well said Speed GT.

Nizer, what is your real name? Background?

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 11-03-2010 | 06:07 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

SpeedGT3: As already stated, I've emailed StopTech directly in the past and met with no success.

Regarding Googling to get data, I've been able to find rotor weights in one of the website data sheets (see: http://www.stoptech.com/Products/img...rDataSheet.pdf) but I've been unable to find Hat, Caliper, or Hardware weights/data.
Thanks for the spec sheet on stoptech rotors. I need to measure my Cup rotors and see if I can use the stoptech rotors with pagid pads

Originally Posted by mobonic
I had the chance to upgrade my front 997S brakes to anything i wanted.. after months of research I chose the StopTech BBK, because of the superior engineering and quality.... they build a better product IMO.... and when it's a track car if you don't have confidence in your brakes.. you might as well keep the car in the garage.
What kind of brake pads do you use? Have you tried pagids and if so how much pad modification is needed?
Old 11-03-2010 | 07:56 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikymu
Thanks for the spec sheet on stoptech rotors. I need to measure my Cup rotors and see if I can use the stoptech rotors with pagid pads
Welcome Mike. I'll forward other component details to you if I ever manage to track them down. N-
Old 11-03-2010 | 10:11 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Mike what luck have you had with cup rotors and why are you cosidering the change
Old 11-04-2010 | 03:54 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Welcome Mike. I'll forward other component details to you if I ever manage to track them down. N-
Thanks

Originally Posted by Izzone
Mike what luck have you had with cup rotors and why are you cosidering the change
Cup rotors are nice and relatively cheap when other steel rotor option was not available couple years ago ... but here are the draw back

1. Each front replacement disc cost >$500
2. Front rotor are off center relative to brake caliper so you need to sand off approx 1-2 mm on the inbound pads
3. Heavy - both front and rear rotors weigh 22 lbs each. Stoptech front rotor also weigh 22 lbs but rear weigh 16 lbs
4. Cross drilled
Old 11-04-2010 | 11:17 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikymu
Thanks

Cup rotors are nice and relatively cheap when other steel rotor option was not available couple years ago ... but here are the draw back

1. Each front replacement disc cost >$500
2. Front rotor are off center relative to brake caliper so you need to sand off approx 1-2 mm on the inbound pads
3. Heavy - both front and rear rotors weigh 22 lbs each. Stoptech front rotor also weigh 22 lbs but rear weigh 16 lbs
4. Cross drilled
As far as replacement options this is what I've found so far:

Performace Friction apparently has replacement discs available now. In process of chasing down specs. Talk to AJ at Performance Speedtech located at MSR in Texas:http://www.performancespeedtech.com/

Brembo replacement rotors are available. Weights are claimed 21lb front and 16.75lb rear vs others reporting 23lb & 20lb respectively for OEM rotors. Note that Brembo replacement rotors are not the same ones that come with the full GTR upgrade - not sure of exact differences but the full-tilt GTR rotors apparently won't fit the stock calipers. I'm seeing prices of $4,500-$4,800 for set including Pagid pads so not cheap.

Girodisc: coming? here? available now? Matt at Rennstore.com can provide in with update/details.

Trust there are others out there as well like AP, etc. if you want to dig.
Old 11-04-2010 | 10:11 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Just told GMG to ship me a Stop Tech STR kit.....goodbye PCCB......
Old 11-04-2010 | 10:36 PM
docdan
Instructor

Just told GMG to ship me a Stop Tech STR kit.....goodbye PCCB......
Just did the same along with the Endless race pads.
Old 11-04-2010 | 11:52 PM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Gents.....I'm betting you will both be very pleased with your purchases.

Enjoy!
Doug N.
Old 11-06-2010 | 10:36 PM
mobonic
Drifting

great choice guys!
Old 11-08-2010 | 12:18 AM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks for the orders guys........I look forward to hearing from you how you like the setup.
I am working with ALMS right now to see if they are going to open up the brakes for GTC and allow any caliper as this will be great for Stoptech so they can showcase their product in ALMS!

They absolutely dominate in the brakes zones in WC and with the new Pirelli slick tire for 2011, brakes will be even more important in the series!

Quick Reply: Stoptech Sport Trophy Big Brake Kit