Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Stoptech Sport Trophy Big Brake Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,597 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by docdan
I agree with much of what you say, Larry. I wasn't setting out to improve on my PCCBs (which I love dearly). I just came to a personal decision that I wanted to "save" my PCCB rotors for resale time, and I was left with my remaining options.

I know that there are a few "drop in" steel replacements for the ceramic rotors, using the OEM calipers. Knowing that I'll miss my beloved PCCBs, I'm trying to make the switch to steel rotors with a minimal, if any, hit in performance in comparison to the stock PCCBs, and an "upgrade" to other steel optons.

Dan
totally hear you regarding the PCCB rotor "treasure" ... its a damn shame that Porsche just dont make steel rotors that drop in to replace the PCCBs!!!

The number of threads on this list that discuss the replacement is bewildering its difficult to actually figure out what the answer is!
Old 11-01-2010, 04:13 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

buy some cup steel rotors, drop them in and enjoy.... you will see zero brake improvement and many issues if you change...

spend the money else where like upgrading LSD or putting in cup gearing
Old 11-01-2010, 05:35 PM
docdan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mobonic
buy some cup steel rotors, drop them in and enjoy.... you will see zero brake improvement and many issues if you change...

Thanks for the advice, mobonic. Could you please elaborate on the possible "many issues" that I will face if I change over to the Stoptech STR kit? I haven't bought the STR kit ...yet.

regards,

Dan
Old 11-01-2010, 06:20 PM
SpeedGT3
Racer

All of GMG's fleet of GT3 CUP CARs that they campaign in WORLD CHALLENGE, all run

STOPTECH BRAKES, with incredible pedal feel and stopping power.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 292 Likes on 147 Posts

Cup rotors are not drop in....pads require modification

Now if you look at stop tech str.....for the second set of rotors...and third.....and fourth. It starts to make the decision easier

Best off for those of us who work on our cars ourselves, you do not have to remove the rear caliper for pad change

Those of you that get your breaks done at a shop, ask if they re use the caliper bolts in the back once removed.....10 dollars each and one time use
Old 11-02-2010, 12:00 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 954 Posts

James Safronas and Dino's GMG cars both use StopTech Trophy BBK.
Originally Posted by SpeedGT3
All of GMG's fleet of GT3 CUP CARs that they campaign in WORLD CHALLENGE, all run

STOPTECH BRAKES, with incredible pedal feel and stopping power.

Good to know. Here's an actual photo of GMG's entrant at Lime Rock ALMS.
Attached Images  
Old 11-02-2010, 03:18 AM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

Nizer,

You sure seem to know a lot about what GMG races on and this isn't the first time you have mentioned Brembo in this capacity......???
Let me guess, you have some sort of affiliation with Brembo or have in the past?

Regarding the car pictured above, yes it has Brembos and that's what came with the car when we bought it and the client decided to keep the system on the car for our run in GTC this year.

For the rest of the cars we run at GMG, Stoptech has been our brake of choice. I do like the Brembo product, but Stoptech has advanced their design and technology year after year and it doesn't hurt that we work directly with the lead Engineer at Stoptech to help with R&D.........so hopefully that clarifies a few things for you.

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 11-02-2010, 08:13 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by James-GMG
Nizer, You sure seem to know a lot about what GMG races on and this isn't the first time you have mentioned Brembo in this capacity......??? Let me guess, you have some sort of affiliation with Brembo or have in the past?
James:

No affiliation past or present. Wish I did because then I might get a discount

Since you know, use, and sell Stop Tech perhaps you could provide caliper and rotor weights for the product so that we can do an actual comparison of products. As you know, many of us on multiple forums have been unsuccessfully requesting this information for over a year. Not sure why it's so hard to get.

Thanks and good luck on the track.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:39 AM
docdan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nizer
James:

No affiliation past or present. Wish I did because then I might get a discount

Since you know, use, and sell Stop Tech perhaps you could provide caliper and rotor weights for the product so that we can do an actual comparison of products. As you know, many of us on multiple forums have been unsuccessfully requesting this information for over a year. Not sure why it's so hard to get.

Thanks and good luck on the track.
Nizer,

Not sure if you ever got a chance to read Mikymu's post below. It does provide a the specific weights of the Stoptech rotors and hardware.

https://rennlist.com/forums/7482519-post28.html

However, the above post doesn't mention the weight of the Stoptech STR calipers. I do know for a fact that the STR calipers are lighter than OEM Porsche 6 piston. I'm just not sure as exactly how much lighter.

regards,

Dan
Old 11-02-2010, 09:42 AM
DJN
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Hi Gents,

Here is an article of mine posted on the European Car Magazine website featuring the StopTech STR set up on my 2010 GT3.

http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/e...t_2/index.html

Here is a quote explaining the weights in comparison to the OEM cast iron brake set up (sorry, I did not have the same precise weight info for the OEM PCCB setup, however they are about 10 or 11lbs per corner lighter):

On the 2010 GT3, the OEM steel rotor specs are 380x32mm in front and 350x28mm at the rear. The Stoptech Trophy rotors measure 380x32mm front and 355x32mm rear. However, the StopTech rotors are 4.8 pounds and 1.8 pounds lighter, front and rear, respectively. The narrower annulus (rotor surface swept by the brake pad) reduces the amount of cast iron, and the aluminum hat is slightly larger in radius than stock. With the whole kit installed, the setup weighs about 11 pounds less up front and the about same as the OEM assemblies in the rear. Note also that the rear STR calipers are much more substantial than the OEM units they replace.

There are several advantages to the new StopTech STR design when compared to other options: strength, stiffness, reduced total unsprung weight over the cast-iron OEM setup, pure useable stopping power, track endurance, good value for the money, improved brake balance and caliper cooling, ease of pad replacement, and a wide variety of street and track pad choices. There is nothing on the market that's better in all of these categories, so let's get these installed and get to the track to prove it up.

Full track testing with GPS will come out in a later article not published yet, but I can tell you the results and pedal feel are excellent.

Please note that I did work directly with Stoptech and GMG to make this and the future articles possible.

Cheers!
Doug N.

Last edited by DJN; 11-02-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docdan
I'm just not sure as exactly how much lighter.
Neither am I. Apparently it's a State secret.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:11 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

Nizer,

Can you tell me why you keep referencing GMG as a user of the Brembo brakes and feel compelled to tell everyone that when there is a post about Stoptech? You have never contacted anyone at GMG about purchasing Stoptech brakes but as soon as someone inquires about them on this forum, you seem to chime in about Brembo........

There is a ton of info on the Stoptech website as well as many posts here on RL......
Old 11-02-2010, 01:39 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 725 Likes on 439 Posts

James, I didn't realize that you were "James Sofronas" until now So you are the president and the driver? Wow! There's a dream come true...

Cheers!
Old 11-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by James-GMG
Nizer,

Can you tell me why you keep referencing GMG as a user of the Brembo brakes and feel compelled to tell everyone that when there is a post about Stoptech? You have never contacted anyone at GMG about purchasing Stoptech brakes but as soon as someone inquires about them on this forum, you seem to chime in about Brembo........

There is a ton of info on the Stoptech website as well as many posts here on RL......
James:

I've emailed both StopTech directly and GMG Racing as the prime marketer of StopTech products directly on multiple occasions over the past year asking for weights of rotors, hats, and calipers. I've either gotten a response that didn't contain the information sought or received no response at all.

As I'm sure you're aware, this request has been made by others on this forum, as well as 6Speedonline and Teamspeed, and remains unanswered to my knowledge (please me point in the right direction if I've missed it).

Conversely, I've reached out to Brembo on multiple occasions for information and never waited more than a day for a response, with most coming within 30 mins. This is why I sound to you like I know a lot more about Brembo.

As for the issue of posting that GMG cars run Brembo in response to others posting that all GMG cars run StopTech, I'm merely pointing out inconsistency in the statements. It's Information sharing and that's a key reason these forums exist.

BL, I'm not a deep-cover mole for Brembo or AP fishing for state secrets. I'm just a track junkie trying to analyze brake options. Brembo, AP and the others seem perfectly willing to provide brake component weights while StopTech does not - at least from the avenues I've tried.

Provide the data. Don't provide the data. Get StopTech to post in on their website or not. At this point I don't really care.

Peace out.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:31 PM
SpeedGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by Nizer
Provide the data. Don't provide the data. Get StopTech to post in on their website or not. At this point I don't really care.

Peace out.
As a dealer, I am sure GMG doesnt control what the VEDOR (STOPTECH) posts on their website. Also, if you are contacting BREMBO directly, why dont you contact STOPTECH directly, and speak to them, as they are the manufacturer of the product and will have that information on their finger tips.

I am sure the information you are requesting can be provided in a much faster way by delivering the request in a PRIVATE EMAIL, to James rather than a public forum. You seem pretty computer savy, I am sure you can google STOPTECH and get the answers you are looking for.

Here, I will help you out.

STOPTECH
Sales Contact
Jeremy Barras
+1 714 293 3526jeremy@barras.com

For questions regarding applications, availability or general StopTech product questions, please contact StopTech sales at +1 310 933 1100 or sales@stoptech.com

Quick Reply: Stoptech Sport Trophy Big Brake Kit