Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Stoptech Sport Trophy Big Brake Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 10:26 PM
docdan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stoptech Sport Trophy Big Brake Kit

Have any of you guys used this brake kit before?

I was considering swapping out the PCCB rotors and Calipers on my 997.1 GT3 for the Stoptech Sport Trophy Big Brake Kit offered by GMG Racing.

http://www.gmgracing.com/porsche_brakes.shtml

It's the STR package that I'm referring to.

I would appreciate any feedback you may have regarding these.

thanks,

Dan

Last edited by docdan; 11-01-2010 at 12:45 AM. Reason: clarified STR caliper vs. the ST caliper
Old 10-31-2010, 10:59 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have them on the front, good brakes.. but i would not change the calipers unless you are having issues with them... the 6 pot gt3 calipers are great!
Old 11-01-2010, 07:53 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

You can change just the rotors....
Old 11-01-2010, 11:39 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

I used StopTech brakes (4-pot) on my E46 M3s. They were amazing. I am very happy ex customer of StopTech and all my formerly owned calipers are still in use by local track guys.

Nothing wrong with them if you put them (the 6-pot version obviously) on the GT3. But I don't think it would be that much of an upgrade. They only thing you could improve is to spec custom piston sizes to improve pad wear a little and maybe get a tiny bit more performance. That is very tricky to get right and not make it worse.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

It's hard to "upgrade" GT3 brakes. If you're just trying to ditch PCCB - change the rotors.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

The adavntage is you do not have to remove rear caliper to change the pads

Not sure if they will flex like the stock front

You do not have to "modify" a pad to use it

You will have nice fresh yellow paint in lieu of burnt yellow after tracking
Old 11-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,894 Likes on 975 Posts

Just be aware that most GMG Racing 911s are running Brembo brakes, not Stop Tech (at the least the ones I keep seeing at races). Also, I'd suggest you compare pad sizes between Stop Tech product and OEM brakes on GT3. My understanding is that they run smaller pads, which is part of how they claim weight savings over OEM.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:42 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 728 Likes on 440 Posts

Nizer, don't forget that you can buy Front & Rear STR kit from Stoptech for the price of Brembo GTR's Front kit and still save some cash
Old 11-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
It's hard to "upgrade" GT3 brakes. If you're just trying to ditch PCCB - change the rotors.
+1 I just dont see that the GT3 esp with PCCB needs any form of brake "upgrade" unless you are actually campaigning the car in some form of racing event.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,894 Likes on 975 Posts

Originally Posted by sin911
Nizer, don't forget that you can buy Front & Rear STR kit from Stoptech for the price of Brembo GTR's Front kit and still save some cash
Just providing caveat emptor info, not doing a cost/benefit analysis.

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
+1 I just dont see that the GT3 esp with PCCB needs any form of brake "upgrade" unless you are actually campaigning the car in some form of racing event.
Agreed. In my book you either step up to the real deal (Brembo, AP or similar expensive option) or leave the stock brakes alone and just replace/upgrade rotors and pads as needed.

Last edited by Nizer; 11-01-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:02 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

James Safronas and Dino's GMG cars both use StopTech Trophy BBK.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:26 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 728 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Just providing caveat emptor info, not doing a cost/benefit analysis.
Yeah, you're right. But also remember that Brembo came out with the GTR kit before Stoptech had time to come out with STR. That also might be a factor for seeing Brembo kits more.

Well, in the end I'm a happy camper with my STR kit
Old 11-01-2010, 03:19 PM
docdan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nizer
In my book you either step up to the real deal (Brembo, AP or similar expensive option) or leave the stock brakes alone and just replace/upgrade rotors and pads as needed.

The idea that the stock GT3 6 piston calipers can't or shouldn't be upgraded is an interesting notion. What if different calipers (such as the STR's) are lighter, stronger, flex less, and apply more torque than OEM? Also, what if changing pads were easier and you could also choose from a greater variety of pads? What if from going from PCCBs (never fade) to steel rotors you have concerns about brake fade and you find out that the STR kit is extremely fade resistant? Wouldn't all of those factors be considered an upgrade?

Also, according to GMG, the Stoptech STR Brake kit is equal to the performance of their Brembo GTR Brake kit in "back to back testing".

In additon to all of the above advantages, being equal to the Brembo GTR kit in performance should be considered an upgrade over stock 6 pistons and steel rotors , shouldn't it?

Dan
Old 11-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by docdan
The idea that the stock GT3 6 piston calipers can't or shouldn't be upgraded is an interesting notion. What if different calipers (such as the STR's) are lighter, stronger, flex less, and apply more torque than OEM? Also, what if changing pads were easier and you could also choose from a greater variety of pads? What if from going from PCCBs (never fade) to steel rotors you have concerns about brake fade and you find out that the STR kit is extremely fade resistant? Wouldn't all of those factors be considered an upgrade?

Also, according to GMG, the Stoptech STR Brake kit is equal to the performance of their Brembo GTR Brake kit in "back to back testing".

In additon to all of the above advantages, being equal to the Brembo GTR kit in performance should be considered an upgrade over stock 6 pistons and steel rotors , shouldn't it?

Dan
Speaking only for myself I was not suggesting that they could not or should not be replaced. From my personal (and therefore subjective) perspective I would ask myself what aspect of the OEM braking system is inadequate or underperforming ... rhetorically I personally could not justify the expense of replacing the OEM PCCB system as I am unable to detect any inherent lack that would motivate the expense ... I have no doubt that the StopTech and Bremo kits are incrementally better ... I just think that the OEM setup is pretty damn good to start with ... YMMV
Old 11-01-2010, 04:06 PM
docdan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Speaking only for myself I was not suggesting that they could not or should not be replaced. From my personal (and therefore subjective) perspective I would ask myself what aspect of the OEM braking system is inadequate or underperforming ... rhetorically I personally could not justify the expense of replacing the OEM PCCB system as I am unable to detect any inherent lack that would motivate the expense ... I have no doubt that the StopTech and Bremo kits are incrementally better ... I just think that the OEM setup is pretty damn good to start with ... YMMV
I agree with much of what you say, Larry. I wasn't setting out to improve on my PCCBs (which I love dearly). I just came to a personal decision that I wanted to "save" my PCCB rotors for resale time, and I was left with my remaining options.

I know that there are a few "drop in" steel replacements for the ceramic rotors, using the OEM calipers. Knowing that I'll miss my beloved PCCBs, I'm trying to make the switch to steel rotors with a minimal, if any, hit in performance in comparison to the stock PCCBs, and an "upgrade" to other steel optons.

Dan

Quick Reply: Stoptech Sport Trophy Big Brake Kit