Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Looooove Monticello!!! This should be fun to watch
Old 10-18-2010, 09:45 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

looking forward to watch it.
and damn, monticello is a beautiful track.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:42 AM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is it?
Old 10-20-2010, 12:51 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Here it is

http://axisofoversteer.blogspot.com/...97-gt2-vs.html

Enjoy it as much as I did and feel free to discuss...
Old 10-20-2010, 01:31 AM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cool! Thanks.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:54 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
I Looooove Monticello!!! This should be fun to watch
ME TOO, I absolutely murder that track hah, once you get to know it and have it down pat, the course is so damn fast and smooth despite what people say!

I think this was the day Ari invited me over to join, but couldn't make it :/

Awesome comparo, and cgomez is one hell of a driver.. We met in August, I was there with my RUF GT2
Old 10-20-2010, 04:13 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

All I can say is that you guys should start a new magazine. Something like Grassroots MotorSports for the real sport car enthusiasts.

I could not agree more with everything written, and I think I lost my bet. I was expecting the GT2 to do better than the Scuderia at Monticello, given that long straight and the massive torque in the GT2.

The stock Corsa tires in the Scuderia other than skinny, have very low grip. I ran several days at a go-kart track playing with A6, R888 and RE-11 (a street tire). The R888 and Bridgestone RE-11 offer similar grip, but the Re-11 last a lot longer. I made comparisons between A6 and Corsa, and A6 vs. R888. The Corsa really do not belong to the Scuderia they are just plain horrible (and skinny).

In my opinion, the Scuderia is a GT3 RS on steroids with the balance of a Cayman, this is one of the reasons I like this car so much. It is very light, I have put both the Cayman S and Scuderia on the scales, and they weigh about the same. However, the Scuderia feels lighter than the Cayman.

I agree that the brakes work better in the GT3 and GT3 RS compared to the Scuderia. The Porsche brakes are linear, the Scuderia brakes have too much initial bite, then they require massive effort and strong legs to slow down the car. The nice benefit of the Scuderia brakes is that you always know you have an extra reserve on the brakes by using heavy braking efforts (and lots of P90X sessions).

The Scuderia needs a lot wider front tires. The F430 Challenge understeers a lot as well. The F430 GT2 running in ALMS run same size tires front and rear. I tried running a 295 front and 295 rear, and I could not drive the car, way too loose for me. I tried the 295/315 A6 and still the car is on the loose side, so I'm going back to 295/345 as last year, but with some tweaks to reduce the last's year understeer.

The Scuderia transmission is just amazing. I had the DCT in the E92 M3, yes smooth on public streets, not exciting when driven hard. The Scuderia transmission is both light and lightning fast.

The e-diff in the Scuderia make people look good when driving at the limits, this kind of diff is something I liked a lot in the E92 M3 as well. The diff is so trick, that Ferrari is switching from the classic LSD to an e-diff for the new F458 Challenge. By the way the F458 Challenge is going to use a wider front tire, so Ferrari knows about the understeer complains from all the F430/F360 track drivers.

Of course, the GT2 RS is going to crush both the Scuderia and the GT2 at the track, but Ferrari will come with a F458 Lightweight in the future, a fair competitor against the GT2 RS.

In the meantime, I plan to address the brakes by switching to Brembo or Stoptech cast iron rotors for next year, they should allow me to run 18" wheels, and GT3 Cup slicks on the 10"/12" wheels that CCW made for my Scuderia 6 months ago.

With exhaust systems and ECU tuning gaining over 75 rwhp, and plenty of weight to be reduced, the Scuderia is in my opinion a phenomenal track day car with lots of potentials to get even faster. It's also a damn reliable car, the cheapest sport car to maintain in my house since the 2002 S2000 I bought 8 years ago.

Thanks for a great article, and much Thanks for the Traqmate data.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:43 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^^

When can I drive your Scuderia?
Old 10-20-2010, 08:13 AM
TeamDrugMoney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cgomez
Here it is

http://axisofoversteer.blogspot.com/...97-gt2-vs.html

Enjoy it as much as I did and feel free to discuss...
WOW! That was really cool to read about and thanks for the great read!

I downloaded the Traqmate file (really nice of you to provide it by the way) and noticed I do not see the listed G forces below in the Traqmate file anywhere. I am curious where these values came from. Thanks in advance for any info!

Name:  M.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  43.0 KB
Old 10-20-2010, 08:23 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,630 Likes on 757 Posts

you guys should start a new magazine. Something like Grassroots MotorSports for the real sport car enthusiasts.
+1 Awesome test / article
Thank you for posting the Traqmate file. Very cool.

Testing trackable street cars and comparo's at an actual DE's awesome concept!
Actual tire pressures, tire brands, etc. etc. Fantastic!
Old 10-20-2010, 09:34 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile

Given either car at Monticello I could put in better lap times I believe. Rick Deman holds track record in his Radical- He would be faster than me.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:12 AM
AC coupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by TeamDrugMoney
WOW! That was really cool to read about and thanks for the great read!

I downloaded the Traqmate file (really nice of you to provide it by the way) and noticed I do not see the listed G forces below in the Traqmate file anywhere. I am curious where these values came from. Thanks in advance for any info!

Attachment 482422
Those are peak values, but the graph looked steady enough that it was not a ridiculous spike.

Check the summary tables on the data file
Old 10-20-2010, 10:13 AM
AC coupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
All I can say is that you guys should start a new magazine. Something like Grassroots MotorSports for the real sport car enthusiasts.

I could not agree more with everything written, and I think I lost my bet. I was expecting the GT2 to do better than the Scuderia at Monticello, given that long straight and the massive torque in the GT2.

The stock Corsa tires in the Scuderia other than skinny, have very low grip. I ran several days at a go-kart track playing with A6, R888 and RE-11 (a street tire). The R888 and Bridgestone RE-11 offer similar grip, but the Re-11 last a lot longer. I made comparisons between A6 and Corsa, and A6 vs. R888. The Corsa really do not belong to the Scuderia they are just plain horrible (and skinny).

In my opinion, the Scuderia is a GT3 RS on steroids with the balance of a Cayman, this is one of the reasons I like this car so much. It is very light, I have put both the Cayman S and Scuderia on the scales, and they weigh about the same. However, the Scuderia feels lighter than the Cayman.

I agree that the brakes work better in the GT3 and GT3 RS compared to the Scuderia. The Porsche brakes are linear, the Scuderia brakes have too much initial bite, then they require massive effort and strong legs to slow down the car. The nice benefit of the Scuderia brakes is that you always know you have an extra reserve on the brakes by using heavy braking efforts (and lots of P90X sessions).

The Scuderia needs a lot wider front tires. The F430 Challenge understeers a lot as well. The F430 GT2 running in ALMS run same size tires front and rear. I tried running a 295 front and 295 rear, and I could not drive the car, way too loose for me. I tried the 295/315 A6 and still the car is on the loose side, so I'm going back to 295/345 as last year, but with some tweaks to reduce the last's year understeer.

The Scuderia transmission is just amazing. I had the DCT in the E92 M3, yes smooth on public streets, not exciting when driven hard. The Scuderia transmission is both light and lightning fast.

The e-diff in the Scuderia make people look good when driving at the limits, this kind of diff is something I liked a lot in the E92 M3 as well. The diff is so trick, that Ferrari is switching from the classic LSD to an e-diff for the new F458 Challenge. By the way the F458 Challenge is going to use a wider front tire, so Ferrari knows about the understeer complains from all the F430/F360 track drivers.

Of course, the GT2 RS is going to crush both the Scuderia and the GT2 at the track, but Ferrari will come with a F458 Lightweight in the future, a fair competitor against the GT2 RS.

In the meantime, I plan to address the brakes by switching to Brembo or Stoptech cast iron rotors for next year, they should allow me to run 18" wheels, and GT3 Cup slicks on the 10"/12" wheels that CCW made for my Scuderia 6 months ago.

With exhaust systems and ECU tuning gaining over 75 rwhp, and plenty of weight to be reduced, the Scuderia is in my opinion a phenomenal track day car with lots of potentials to get even faster. It's also a damn reliable car, the cheapest sport car to maintain in my house since the 2002 S2000 I bought 8 years ago.

Thanks for a great article, and much Thanks for the Traqmate data.
Sounds to me like we need to get you to write some articles Rad!
Old 10-20-2010, 10:56 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

great stuff.

carlos, you sure it was b school and not journalism you did at the Farm?

rad, "...In my opinion, the Scuderia is a GT3 RS on steroids with the balance of a Cayman..."
you know how i feel about that ;-)

Quick Reply: This is going to be fun to watch 997 GT2 vs. 430 Scuderia