Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

This is going to be fun to watch 997 GT2 vs. 430 Scuderia

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 01:27 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AC coupe
Would you be happier if the GT2 had come out 6/10th ahead?
Of course. There would be no haters if that had happened, rest assured.

I commend cgomez and his collaborators for the test, it was informative and fun. Nicely done!

What is most absurd is calling for the test to have been performed with slick tires on the GT2, or any other equipment than what the factory provides. The value in this test is to compare stock cars, not 'how they should have been in my imagination'. I don't recall anyone complaining that the 458 Italia ran on the stock lower performance all-weather tires at the nurburgring in the sport auto comparo against the GT3RS, which is running on cut slicks from the factory. I bet if the same tires had been used on both the 458 would have eclipsed the RS by several seconds. Alas, that is not how it comes from the factory.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:27 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

By the way, on a 60 secs course, my A6 dropped 6.5 secs from my best lap on stock Pirelli Corsa System. Such is the gap that my Scuderia (not Carlos his is a lot slower) could drop another 16 secs from a Monticello lap, obviously with Carlos driving. How does a 2:16 full course lap time sounds from a street car at MMC?

On track tires (R6, slicks, etc), the GT2 would lose to the Scuderia, guaranteed.

Today is Friday, slow days at most offices, so time to watch videos (and watch the Yankees lose tonight , GO CJ !!!!). Sorry no 997 GT2 videos, only a Fiat video ==> http://vimeo.com/6189722
Old 10-22-2010, 08:21 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
By the way, on a 60 secs course, my A6 dropped 6.5 secs from my best lap on stock Pirelli Corsa System. Such is the gap that my Scuderia (not Carlos his is a lot slower) could drop another 16 secs from a Monticello lap, obviously with Carlos driving. How does a 2:16 full course lap time sounds from a street car at MMC?

On track tires (R6, slicks, etc), the GT2 would lose to the Scuderia, guaranteed.

Today is Friday, slow days at most offices, so time to watch videos (and watch the Yankees lose tonight , GO CJ !!!!). Sorry no 997 GT2 videos, only a Fiat video ==> http://vimeo.com/6189722
You know the math doesn't really work that way... (60 sec AutoX? has more turns than MMC full course!)

I think 2:16 is kind of the record for a Radical SR8 (Rick?)
I know 430 Challenge does 2:27;
997.1 Cup 2:24;
997.2 Cup 2:22.

...and as you know, if you put slicks on the FastFiat OEM soft springs you will be running on the bumpstops everywhere. Even the GT2, that has stiffer springs, drags its nose splitter under hard trailbraking on Hoosiers.

More grip is great for laptimes, but the feel of skinnier, higher slip angle tires is a lot more fun. Loved to race the likes of Old DTM racecars (E30 EvoII and MB 190E Evo)
Old 10-22-2010, 08:23 PM
AC coupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did you do, take weight off your scud? Be careful removing the insulation...they are already flammable enough
Old 10-22-2010, 08:28 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Smile

Were you driving flat out?
Old 10-23-2010, 12:38 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
Were you driving flat out?
Nah..., there can be only one:

and you?:

http://vimeo.com/14606189
Old 10-23-2010, 08:19 AM
Rick DeMan
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 655 Likes on 204 Posts

Radical SR8, last time there I turned a 2:14.9. I think that is the current record....

Rick DeMan

DeMan Motorsport
Upper Nyack, NY
845 727 3070
Porsche Sales & Service
Porsche Race services and parts
www.DeManMotorsport.com
Old 10-23-2010, 12:02 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The SRT8 is incerdible!
Old 10-24-2010, 06:12 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
You know the math doesn't really work that way... (60 sec AutoX? has more turns than MMC full course!)

I think 2:16 is kind of the record for a Radical SR8 (Rick?)
I know 430 Challenge does 2:27;
997.1 Cup 2:24;
997.2 Cup 2:22.

...and as you know, if you put slicks on the FastFiat OEM soft springs you will be running on the bumpstops everywhere. Even the GT2, that has stiffer springs, drags its nose splitter under hard trailbraking on Hoosiers.

More grip is great for laptimes, but the feel of skinnier, higher slip angle tires is a lot more fun. Loved to race the likes of Old DTM racecars (E30 EvoII and MB 190E Evo)
Check the new F458 Challenge slicks, straight size for the Scuderia. Reset the springs, aling and drop 10 secs from your Monti laps. Call it street legal car World Record at Monti
Old 10-25-2010, 03:03 PM
AC coupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the new F458 Challenge slicks, straight size for the Scuderia. Reset the springs, aling and drop 10 secs from your Monti laps. Call it street legal car World Record at Monti
Apparently the 458 Challenge is MUCH faster than the 430 C. So the various GT versions should be quite a race car
Old 10-25-2010, 05:40 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

hahaha.... BTW, change your avatar or you might get expelled form RL!!

...and from f-chat too, if you show them you put a sticker on top of those $9K factory stripes!
Old 10-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great video and review. It truely capture what lapdays for avg. joes with $$ are all about.

Couple of comments/questions:

1. I think a new Guards LSD on the GT2 woud have helped.

2. Why do you think the Scud is set up so soft and why is it not adjustable? I have heard/read this comment many times and find it quite puzzling.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:23 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ritesh
Great video and review. It truely capture what lapdays for avg. joes with $$ are all about.

Couple of comments/questions:

1. I think a new Guards LSD on the GT2 woud have helped.

2. Why do you think the Scud is set up so soft and why is it not adjustable? I have heard/read this comment many times and find it quite puzzling.
Thanks!

1. Agree, but what people don't realize is that being a streetcar, a Guards LSD with a fixed lock ratio for acceleration makes it a BIG liability for inexperienced drivers in slippery weather (an open diff is a "natural" traction/stability control system). Thats why high tech variavble rate LSDs like the one in the Fcar or Mcars are awesome in their dual purpose. contrary to many erroneous unfounded opinions the FCar "trick" LSD doesn't do anything magical when all aids are off to prevent wheelspin or a slide. It is just an electromechanical device that allows for better control of the rear tire slip via throttle control (infinite variable lock ratios)

2. It is a compromise from the factory done knowingly by the fact that the car wears a license plate and is a streetcar and I has to be usable. Also, double wish bone suspensions, just like Lotus, can afford to be softer, as the geometry of the suspension is better through the travel range (unlike McPherson designs like the fro of the PCars.). However, why don't they install the adjustable sway bars that the challenge has is a mistery... Maybe is bc the Fcar Scud typical owner is not as track hardcore as the Pcars'?
I only know 4-5 Scud owners that track their cars, while on GT2/3s I know only a few that don't.

Quick Reply: This is going to be fun to watch 997 GT2 vs. 430 Scuderia