Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Peter, it's obvious you knew what was going on

Anyone we know?
Old 08-13-2012, 07:25 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Wow, he did not spin? Was he running water wetter?
Old 08-13-2012, 07:43 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

We had been running hard together for several laps before this and at times were much closer.

Francois, he's a Rennsport instructor and was running coolant... I was sure he'd be in the wall after T1 when I realized what was happening.

He figured something was wrong after T4... but never really let up completely! Guess my wave before T1 didn't work , but wasn't sure what else to do...

That solid wet line you see was from him, and he drove the whole 5.05km track!! He let it cool down in the paddock, filled it with water and drove around...... it was leaking out from behind or under the power steering pump.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:58 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Another one bites the dust.... 996 GT3

Coolant hose blows on track
A mix of events in that short video.
First and foremost, nice work calmly moving off line to avoid "what the hell is going on with that car?!"

It looked like you didn't check your mirror before the move left.

Waving with both hands? (corner workers see and hear track events, they don't try to interpret sign language from drivers and they should black flag anyone driving with both hands off the wheel! : )

Visor down is a worthwhile safety precaution.

: ) Sorry! : )

Hopefully all is well with drivers and cars.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:18 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to ask you the same question about the hands Peter ! LOL

He told me later that when he didn't see you in the mirror he thought you had spun in T1 - didnt realize he had an issue for ages.

It was definitely coolant - the smell was nasty when I came around just behind you.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:34 AM
Andrew D.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just blew a hose on the right front radiator of my 997 GT3 while driving on the street at 40mph in 98 degree weather.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:17 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
A mix of events in that short video.
First and foremost, nice work calmly moving off line to avoid "what the hell is going on with that car?!"

It looked like you didn't check your mirror before the move left.

Waving with both hands? (corner workers see and hear track events, they don't try to interpret sign language from drivers and they should black flag anyone driving with both hands off the wheel! : )

Visor down is a worthwhile safety precaution.

: ) Sorry! : )

Hopefully all is well with drivers and cars.
You are reading waaaaaay to much.... and at the same time, not nearly enough into the video....

1/ It happened at the end of a long straight, I was totally aware of my surroundings when I slowed and safely veered "off the coolant line"! Notice, never crossed pit-out blend line either...

2/ definitely no flaggers in sight after pit-out, was waving at the car in front... Adrenaline makes you react rather than act.. and sometimes, like this time, it makes absolutely no sense. Hey, in that same theme.... I was going to honk the horn first!

3/ It was 36C (97F) and VERY humid, visor down wasn't a comfortable DE option. Sunglasses were on...

Disclaimer: No drivers were hurt in the filming of this video!

Old 08-14-2012, 10:46 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1/ It happened at the end of a long straight, I was totally aware of my surroundings when I slowed and safely veered "off the coolant line"! Notice, never crossed pit-out blend line either...

2/ definitely no flaggers in sight after pit-out, was waving at the car in front... Adrenaline makes you react rather than act.. and sometimes, like this time, it makes absolutely no sense. Hey, in that same theme.... I was going to honk the horn first!

3/ It was 36C (97F) and VERY humid, visor down wasn't a comfortable DE option. Sunglasses were on...
I thought you were remarkably calm in driving off the coolant line and trying to notify the flagger/other driver. When my car dumped its coolant, several cars behind me went off, including one that incurred minor damage in a tire wall. Glad you were able to react in a way that kept you and your car safe.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:04 AM
rja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just started tracking my RS so now I'm paying close attention to all this stuff (until know have blissfully lived w/ GT cars for over 4 years now).

So, I've got two things to worry about going into high speed turns now: CL wheel + bursting / leaking coolant lines. Anything else I need to worry about killing me or balling up my car?

For the coolant issue, I'll have the system flushed and water wetter added for the benefit of me AND all other drivers. Would kindly advise others tracking their Metzger equipped cars to return the favor. Thanks!
Old 08-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Another one bites the dust.... 996 GT3

Coolant hose blows on track
I can't view the video, it say it is private. Should I take it personally?
Old 08-20-2012, 09:24 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

Add me to the list. Mine blew this past weekend at Mid-Ohio. 5-6 cars went off track behind me, luckily not a single car bent any metal.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:03 AM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,363 Likes on 512 Posts

Mvez- Actually there was a little bent metal. The white 1985 911 who went off right behind you and ended up closest to you in the gravel pit did bend a fender and cracked his front spoiler/splitter. Not major damage but definitely some bent metal and fiberglas.

Could have been a lot worse - all things considered, a bunch of drivers got pretty lucky. I was ahead of you on track and didn't get to the scene until most of it was cleared up but I did see the video taken by one of the guys a few cars behind you and it is pretty spectacular.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by RudyP
Mvez- Actually there was a little bent metal. The white 1985 911 who went off right behind you and ended up closest to you in the gravel pit did bend a fender and cracked his front spoiler/splitter. Not major damage but definitely some bent metal and fiberglas.

Could have been a lot worse - all things considered, a bunch of drivers got pretty lucky. I was ahead of you on track and didn't get to the scene until most of it was cleared up but I did see the video taken by one of the guys a few cars behind you and it is pretty spectacular.
Bummer, I didn't see him. I assume his splitter dug in and bent his fender? The fact that nobody went into a wall, or collected another car is pretty amazing considering where it happened.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:16 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
Bummer, I didn't see him. I assume his splitter dug in and bent his fender? The fact that nobody went into a wall, or collected another car is pretty amazing considering where it happened.
We are changing the name of that section to GT madness....

Quick Reply: Catastrophic Coolant Hose Coupling Failure Registry