Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 03:56 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 918 Who saw it??

In Monterey?
Your impressions and if you have the coin, would you buy it....
Old 08-12-2010, 01:42 AM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Will it still be around on Sunday? I'll be down there then.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:48 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did they do that already? I was at Quail Lodge today and they said they were going to have an invite only event Sunday morning to show it. Got to test drive a few cars, great fun; they really know how to throw an event!
Old 08-12-2010, 04:19 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

The previews are being held at the Monterey Jet Center by the airport. Price is not being officially discussed. Pictures are being allowed to be taken, but the trunk and engine compartment are not being allowed to be opened. It will have a front axle lift system, which as we all know, was missing in the Carrera GT. They are saying that sales will be selective and direct to buyer, bypassing the US dealer network. Let's see if US franchise laws actually allow them to pull that off without major lawsuits by their own dealers. The prototype is also supposed to be displayed at Pebble Beach at the entrance by the front of Club House on the putting green with other 'future' production cars on Sunday for the Concours d'Elegance, which will be available for all Pebble Beach attendees to see as they walk into that event. Let's see if that happens. The 400 or so invited VIPs seeing exclusively the car at the Jet Center all get a lapel pin labeled "918 Spyder", which many are proudly displaying at other events (e.g. Gordon McCall Party tonight). I will let others comment if they are committing to purchase the vehicle based on what they have seen. z356 (Carmel)
Old 08-13-2010, 03:11 AM
sansh2o
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1
I saw it on Tuesday. Looks even better in person than in photos... They told me it will be at Pebble Beach on Sunday; however, they also told me it would be available through my local dealer. Given my previous poor experience with Steven's Creek Porsche, I would really prefer a direct sale, as mentioned by Z356. Depending on the price, which they wouldn't comment on, I may be interested in buying, if i get the opportunity...
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2010, 12:08 PM
ArcticGT3
Racer

Any info on the rearview mirrors?!
Old 08-13-2010, 12:38 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticGT3
Any info on the rearview mirrors?!
There are no exterior ones on the proto. It has little cameras instead and they look weird imo. Will be interesting to see if they make production or if they put normal mirrors on.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know if this is the same car/chassis/VIN as shown in Geneva? Am curious if there are more pre-production prototypes..or if the concept is unique at this point.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:22 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Gorgeous car but I hear the price tag will be very very high... hopefully that was just a rumor on the article about the car... basically stated the price tag would be 500K plus.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:26 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No doubt that the concept car is beautiful.
The more important questions to me are...

What will NHTSA do re design of the car.
Will the technology be passé/outdated when this car finally comes to market?
The whole Hybrid thing is a moving target.

Your thoughts?
Old 08-13-2010, 02:37 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Car companies have invested money in excess of 4billion to the hybrid scene and still have 10-15 years to play with it until the next? step. VW wouldn’t green flag it if it was to be buried before birth.So I guess it will be hot news when it hits the streets the question is how will look at it in the years to come.

John
Old 08-13-2010, 02:54 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,262 Likes on 611 Posts

I've got the coin but would rather just get a VW TDI and a 599GTO. And save the rest of the money for who knows what. 600k for a car with a production number over 1000 is to me, not my cup of tea.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:43 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Car is the same one. Only one in the world right now. A production-oriented prototype is underway, however. Car will probably get mirrors, too — which I am in favor of because they looked like the "small arms" character on SNL to me. I was surprised by how much more compact the car looked than the CGT, and liked its proportions better, too. That said, I did not like the squarish headlights and limo TV antenna-like rear wing support, as well as a bunch of other details. The basic shape, however, is beautiful, as are the various surfacing treatments. I am very hopeful re: the production car's looks!

I was able to spend some time with Mauer and posted some of the info I gleaned as well as come photos here:

http://www.excellence-mag.com/of-note

They started it up at the end of the night, something I waited around for. Took them 20 minutes with RS Spyder engineers and a warmer, but man did it sound good. Like an RS Spyder, in fact...
Old 08-13-2010, 05:18 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
No doubt that the concept car is beautiful.
The more important questions to me are...

What will NHTSA do re design of the car.
Will the technology be passé/outdated when this car finally comes to market?
The whole Hybrid thing is a moving target.

Your thoughts?
All the right questions. The 918 "disconnect" for me, however, was and still is no manual tranny. A year of PDK has failed to convert me, at least for street driving. Ironically, I love PDK on track — but I don't think I'd be tracking a CGT or a 918 even if I had the money. Speaking with a PCNA executive, transmission type has not been finalized, but the production car almost certainly won't have a clutch pedal.

That said, the above probably doesn't apply to most buyers in this league, as the Enzo et al have so clearly demonstrated.

pete
Old 08-13-2010, 05:51 PM
A430v
Racer

Originally Posted by excmag
That said, the above probably doesn't apply to most buyers in this league, as the Enzo et al have so clearly demonstrated.

pete
Not true ~ love the left pedal. Dad has a Carrera GT, that's what makes that car so rewarding to drive. I've had a Superleggera before and Dad added a 599 to the garage, cannot compare to the Carrera GT or even GT3 RS for that matter in terms of driver involvement. Porsche ticks all the right boxes...

In terms of the 918 ~ I saw it. My verdict is still out there, not sure about this "hybrid concept." All I have to say is and I hope someone at Porsche is reading this...if this is how you intend to sell a $630,000 super car (I know, this price is speculative) even to your most loyal customers, good luck!!! You'll have to try harder than that in this economy and crowded market.

Dr. Mauer hid on a corner of the hangar and did not even attempt to talk or present the car to potential customers. Our 918/PCNA rep. pointed him out to us, said all the reps will debrief with him after the event and provide him with our feedback...but in my mind, I was like, what better way than to ask your customers directly, why does the rep need to channel you the info??? Hear it straight from your many Carrera GT, GT3, GT3 RS, GT2, etc. etc. customers. Many other niggling things I would vent about, but in the regard of "VIP" events, Lamborghini and Ferrari do it much much better. Porsche is "stuck in the middle," neither high or low end... Billing the 918 viewing event at the hangar as "VIP" with all the marketing materials = FAIL because the end result wasn't "all that."

Pix...(most impressed with the detachable steering wheel, very "race caresque," but doubt this will make it into production...
Attached Images       

Quick Reply: 918 Who saw it??