Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

918 Who saw it??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 08:48 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by A430v
Porsche exists thanks to its faithful fans. They should have invited all fans (not just 918 prospective buyers) to that private road and let them watch Hurley drive it. Not doing so, PAG is shooting those who really feed their mouths. Me thinks.

Showing the 918 in the dark shade of an airport hanger under VIP security nonsense is just ridiculous. Putting it on pedestal next to PB's passarelle is just as bad.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder how long the extra 200 hybrid horsepower actually lasts???

One of the styling touches I like are the exhaust pipes coming out the sides, anyone think those will make the cut on the production model?
Old 08-13-2010, 11:47 PM
That Guy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

430 - thank you for your thoughts, very well spoken and concise - excellent review of the event for us unwashed masses not on the invite list.

Sorry to hear it was a bit of a let-down from a presentation standpoint, I only hope the car delivers where the teaser disappointed.

Curious, what was your overall impression of the packaging and dimensions, does it feel as compact in person as it appears in pictures?

Again, many thanks for your input!
Old 08-14-2010, 12:55 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wondering ... those of you that are against the hybrid aspect of it -- why??
Old 08-14-2010, 01:11 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by adrial
Just wondering ... those of you that are against the hybrid aspect of it -- why??
Hybrids make sense on applications where energy recovery is possible. Not all hybrid applications work because there's little energy to recover. I do not see the point of a hybrid on a sports car, where the utmost performance should be the sole objective. The 918 hybrid exists due to pure misguided political pressure. PAG has always been terrified by impending government regs. On the 918 while the batteries are charged it delivers a surge a power. But I bet after a few laps the batteries are depleted and the advantage is gone - batteries do not charge very quickly. The GT3 flywheel hybrid also is a PC response, but there at least it has a chance, performance-wise.

Last edited by ADias; 08-14-2010 at 02:18 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:13 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really do and don't get the angle Porsche is taking with Hybrid technology. As well all know auto makers are gearing up for the 2020 CAFE requirements. Some cars can guzzle gas while others cam sip more to average out MPG! This can be done across the entire line of cars a manufacturer makes. So since Porsche is know owned by VW the task isn't as difficult; since there are plenty of thrifty models across all Marques under the VW label.

I figure on the other hand that Porsche wants to be at the bleeding edge of technology.

And not to mention we will see how the 918 will look and perform by the time it is delivered to the hands of it's customers.

Also have it from a reliable source that something new will be unvailed at the next LA Auto Show. Don't know what it is but I think it will be where the 991/998 will be shown for the first time. Personally working on getting invited to that event.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:36 AM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

I saw the 918 tonight and it is stunning -- pictures don't do it justice. It is so compact, and just looks so right. I too got to talk to Mauer, which was fun.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:05 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

For me, Porsche missed on the Miami location. Should have been in NY, Boston, or Virginia- DC area. Even The Porsche Driving Experience at Barber would have been better(except the expectation would be to drive or at least see the car driven. Something I'm sure Porsche didn't want!)
Who wants to go to Florida in August?
Actually someone representing Porsche called and asked why I wasn't going. She said she had heard from several others that the locations didn't work
And, being on the East coast, CA didn't make any sense just to look at a car....
Old 08-14-2010, 11:20 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,694 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by zellamsee
I saw the 918 tonight and it is stunning -- pictures don't do it justice. It is so compact, and just looks so right. I too got to talk to Mauer, which was fun.
order it. i'll go see it at marin
and were his pogue? he needs it.
cgt is lonely in that garage.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:00 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

remember when Beta was replaced by VHS..... and then DVD came along.....

not sure if this is a car i would buy and hold...... and if it isnt worth holding ,then it is not a car worth buyin' IMHO.

will have to see how it performs on the track.....
Old 08-14-2010, 12:05 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,694 Likes on 2,340 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
remember when Beta was replaced by VHS..... and then DVD came along.....

not sure if this is a car i would buy and hold...... and if it isnt worth holding ,then it is not a car worth buyin' IMHO.

will have to see how it performs on the track.....
BETA.... heehee, i still got it.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:09 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
BETA.... heehee, i still got it.
God knows what else you got in that garaze of yours.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Worth buying? Depends on many factors. If they make them in larger numbers, like the CGT, or smaller numbers like the GT1!

Should keep the number down. Don't want to dilute the image on this one like they did with the CGT! Should make it rarer just on the fact that it cost so much. If Porsche would have made the CGT in the numbers they did with the GT1 then they would be selling for close to $600K!
Old 08-14-2010, 12:18 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
Worth buying? Depends on many factors. If they make them in larger numbers, like the CGT, or smaller numbers like the GT1!

Should keep the number down. Don't want to dilute the image on this one like they did with the CGT! Should make it rarer just on the fact that it cost so much. If Porsche would have made the CGT in the numbers they did with the GT1 then they would be selling for close to $600K!
GT1 was "made" to homologate the racer, Carrera GT was produced to bring money back to Porsche. To do that you need to sell x number of cars.

959 mistake again? they wont make it anytime soon.

John
Old 08-14-2010, 12:34 PM
gomez1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SBHoobHRCY

Quick Reply: 918 Who saw it??