Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

918 Who saw it??

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 06:27 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by A430v
... Many other niggling things I would vent about, but in the regard of "VIP" events, Lamborghini and Ferrari do it much much better. Porsche is "stuck in the middle," neither high or low end... Billing the 918 viewing event at the hangar as "VIP" with all the marketing materials = FAIL because the end result wasn't "all that."...
Why do you say that the event failed? What do you expect in such event?

I, for one, think that this should not be a VIP (read exclusive) event. It should be open to all Porsche fans, not only those ready to plunk $500k+ on what will be mostly garage queens. And yes, Mauer should listen to most people willing to offer constructive advice.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:03 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone have close up pictures of the wheels?
Old 08-13-2010, 07:41 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Joe S.
A 993 forum member shot this one:

I looks like a nightmare to clean.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Lol. If you can afford it, trust me, you're not cleaning a thing in your life!!
Old 08-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks! They are certainly interesting looking, and almost give the wheel the look of invisibility from a distance.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:55 PM
A430v
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Why do you say that the event failed? What do you expect in such event?

I, for one, think that this should not be a VIP (read exclusive) event. It should be open to all Porsche fans, not only those ready to plunk $500k+ on what will be mostly garage queens. And yes, Mauer should listen to most people willing to offer constructive advice.
I spent 12 hours on the road, one night in Monterey, $850 in hotel fees ALONE, plus food, gas, etc., simply to see the 918. I had no intention of going to Concorso, main purpose was to learn more about the 918 and gauge whether the car would move the soul enough to add one to the collection... Expectations not met. Only real enjoyment was the quality family time I got to spend with my loved ones, a there.

If this was not an event to tease the interest level, then you would be dead wrong. PCNA asked our dealer for a list of top clients who would purchase the 918 and from there, choose who would go to the event. All the marketing materials pointed to the loyal customer, the "VIP," who might be interested in the 918. I believe most, if not all CGT owners were given an invite. And most poignantly, the final remark that my 918 rep left us with was, PCNA would contact us directly regarding final specs, price and deposit amount. The dealer will be bypassed and if you want one, remember that time is of the essence. Make sure your contact info is correct, so we can touch bases with you.

Now, if that is not trying to sell me a car, I don't know what is. I swear to God, that was our final conversation ~ a truly unnecessary remark.

I agree ~ that these events should be open to the public and to the enthusiast at large. Then Porsche should not have billed this as a VIP/exclusive event and reiterated for us to be "on time" due to the "security." For Christ's sake, when we got there, there was one area for registration (with a security personnel at the door) then we were "golf-carted" to a separate hangar, a 2 minute walk maximum to see the car (where there was another security personnel). Like someone on another forum said, all the marketing materials, individually printed aluminum credit cards, etc., probably cost Porsche $75-$100 per head. This is Porsche, doing unnecessary things to make something out of nothing.

Perfect side event to Concorso, as a main event, no...

Since I have time, might as well tell you what I expected, in hopes that someone from PCNA/PAG is reading this...

Please bear in mind, that on our invite, it said we would view the car from 11 am to 1 pm and it said to arrive "on time" and not be late. I assumed we'd have 2 hours with the car following some sort of program, but in reality, we could have left at 11:30 am - 15 mins. for registration and the golf cart crap, 15 mins. spent with the rep. We left at 12 pm to look at the car in more detail and actually asked the rep questions.

If I was Porsche, this is what I would have done...

-Offer some sort of corporate or discount rate on select hotels.
-In conjunction with the 918 event, offer passes to the Concorso d'Elegance.

918 event itself...

-After registration, we would be carted to a waiting area/lounge, where everyone can mingle and enjoy a refreshment to wait for the event to start.
-Once ready to start, we would be wisked to a presentation area, where a video of the 918 could be shown. Something glitzy, with some specs and highlights of the car. Heck, even replay the videos we've seen on the Porsche website/Youtube.
-Then Dr. Mauer would give his presentation and design philosophy on the 918.
-After, we would break individually with our 918 reps to actually see the car and to answer any questions.
-Maybe allow the car to be fired up and for us to sit and to play with the car (more on that below).
-There was actually a lounge at the hangar, so once finished viewing the car, we could reconvene there, mingle, view the car more, OR be given access to Dr. Mauer himself, the father of the 918.
-Drinks and hors d'oeuvres could be served, with actual service personnel, not some barista who seemed like he was bored to death. Then if you wanted, you could order off the menu (which there was).
-Leave with a departing comment from the rep or Dr. Mauer and a small gift bag.

Remember my boredom comment above - I think that is the real problem!!! My sister went as my guest and she's not even a car enthusiast ~ but she noted that all the reps looked so sad and bored, not even excited about the product. And recall my earlier comment about Dr. Mauer?...doesn't help that he's hiding in his own little corner.

And my point about sitting in the car, playing with the controls and being able to fire her up - important. During the Lexus LFA pre-launch party, we were able to do that and being able to start a car and hear its first note, stirs the soul. Yes - the 918 is the ONE and only concept available, I understand that, then maybe it's a little too early to show the car "up-close."

Haha - this has become a rambling tirade, but you asked for my expectations and opinion and you got it. PCNA/PAG - I hope you're listening!

PS: And Porsche - I know you can do better...the Vanity Fair/Porsche Panamera launch event is one of them!!
Old 08-13-2010, 07:55 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Serge944
Lol. If you can afford it, trust me, you're not cleaning a thing in your life!!
I guess for a toy like this you are right. But you need a detailer on staff then, as this is not the vehicle to take to a car wash (however high end it might be).
Old 08-13-2010, 07:58 PM
A430v
Racer

Originally Posted by Joe S.
One more...
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2010, 08:01 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

I spent 12 hours on the road, one night in Monterey, $850 in hotel fees, food, gas, etc., simply to see the 918. I had no intention of going to Concorso, main purpose was to learn more about the 918 and gauge whether the car would move the soul enough to add one to the collection... Expectations not met. Only real enjoyment was the quality family time I got to spend with my loved ones, a there.

If this was not an event to tease the interest level, then you would be dead wrong. PCNA asked our dealer for a list of top clients who would purchase the 918 and from there, choose who would go to the event. All the marketing materials pointed to the loyal customer, the "VIP," who might be interested in the 918. I believe most, if not all CGT owners were given an invite. And most poignantly, the final remark that my 918 rep left us with was, PCNA would contact us directly regarding final specs, price and deposit amount. The dealer will be bypassed and if you want one, remember that time is of the essence. Make sure your contact info is correct, so we can touch bases with you.

Now, if that is not trying to sell me a car, I don't know what is. I swear to God, that was our final conversation ~ a truly unnecessary remark.

I agree ~ that these events should be open to the public and to the enthusiast at large. Then Porsche should not have billed this as a VIP/exclusive event and reiterated for us to be "on time" due to the "security." For Christ's sake, when we got there, there was one area for registration (with a security personnel at the door) then we were "golf-carted" to a separate hangar, a 2 minute walk maximum to see the car (where there was another security personnel). Like someone on another forum said, all the marketing materials, individually printed aluminum credit cards, etc., probably cost Porsche $75-$100 per head. This is Porsche, doing unnecessary things to make something out of nothing.

Perfect side event to Concorso, as a main event, no...

Since I have time, might as well tell you what I expected, in hopes that someone from PCNA/PAG is reading this...

Please bear in mind, that on our invite, it said we would view the car from 11 am to 1 pm and it said to arrive "on time" and not be late. I assumed we'd have 2 hours with the car following some sort of program, but in reality, we could have left at 11:30 am - 15 mins. for registration and the golf cart crap, 15 mins. spent with the rep. We left at 12 pm to look at the car in more detail and actually asked the rep questions.

If I was Porsche, this is what I would have done...

-Offer some sort of corporate or discount rate on select hotels.
-In conjunction with the 918 event, offer passes to the Concorso d'Elegance.

918 event itself...

-After registration, we would be carted to a waiting area/lounge, where everyone can mingle and enjoy a refreshment to wait for the event to start.
-Once ready to start, we would be wisked to a presentation area, where a video of the 918 could be shown. Something glitzy, with some specs and highlights of the car. Heck, even replay the videos we've seen on the Porsche website/Youtube.
-Then Dr. Mauer would give his presentation and design philosophy on the 918.
-After, we would break individually with our 918 reps to actually see the car and to answer any questions.
-Maybe allow the car to be fired up and for us to sit and to play with the car.
-There was actually a lounge at the hangar, so once finished viewing the car, we could reconvene there, mingle, view the car more, OR be given access to Dr. Mauer himself, the father of the 918.
-Drinks and hors d'oeuvres could be served, with actual service personnel, not some barista who seemed like he was bored to death. Then if you wanted, you could order off the menu (which there was).
-Leave with a departing comment from the rep or Dr. Mauer and a small gift bag.

Remember my boredom comment above - I think that is the real problem!!! My sister went as my guest and she's not even a car enthusiast ~ but she noted that all the reps looked so sad and bored, not even excited about the product. And recall my earlier comment about Dr. Mauer?...doesn't help that he's hiding in his own little corner.

And my point about sitting in the car, playing with the controls and being able to fire her up - important. During the Lexus LFA pre-launch party, we were able to do that and being able to start a car and hear its first note, stirs the soul. Yes - the 918 is the ONE and only concept available, I understand that, then maybe it's a little too early to show the car "up-close."

Haha - this has become a rambling tirade, but you asked for my expectations and opinion and you got it. PCNA/PAG - I hope you're listening!

PS: And Porsche - I know you can do better...the Vanity Fair/Porsche Panamera launch event is one of them!!
Thanks for your thoughts. You make complete sense. It looks like the event was indeed poorly managed. Heck... I would expect better even if open to all enthusisast. Last year Panamera presentation was better than you describe.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:08 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
A 993 forum member shot this one:

I looks like a nightmare to clean.
They removed all the green color of the preview around the wheels. Thank god
Old 08-13-2010, 08:33 PM
A430v
Racer

HELLO!!!! Now, ADias, if I got to hear this in real life, like the Press did, I would change my mind entirely about the event or at least feel better. RS Spyder engine, so of course sounds like the race car. How it will sound in hybrid mode, I don't care!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f4ph...layer_embedded
Old 08-13-2010, 08:33 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

N

if this is how you intend to sell a $630,000 super car (I know, this price is speculative) even to your most loyal customers, good luck!!! You'll have to try harder than that in this economy and crowded market.

Dr. Mauer hid on a corner of the hangar and did not even attempt to talk or present the car to potential customers.

Billing the 918 viewing event at the hangar as "VIP" with all the marketing materials = FAIL because the end result wasn't "all that."
Interesting to see the "room" as set up for VIPs vs. the press deal. The former looks like it had more "real" lighting, but looks like it's missing the swanky couches, bar, etc. that the latter had. And the darker lighting set up a cooler mood for sure.

Still, I'm with you: I want a clutch pedal. Car would be a lot cooler with a version of the sequential found in the GT3 Cup/RSR — still the best transmission I have ever used. A street adaptation would be insane —Strekand I say leave the gear noise!
Old 08-13-2010, 08:36 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Just heard from my dealer that PAG will have the 918 on display at the Concours on Sunday.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:36 PM
A430v
Racer

MORE!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xf4j...layer_embedded
Old 08-13-2010, 08:39 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

430 Thanks for your comments and thoughts. Don't think I can really get behind the hybrid thing.

Quick Reply: 918 Who saw it??