Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997 GT2 Market

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 10:38 AM
GlenGT3
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidGT
The person who put in the $350k bid is the seller. Porschecollector and allthingsporsche are the same person. This user pretty much only bids on allthingsporsche’s cars and when he has the highest bid it is always below reserve. Porschecollector did win a silver 997.2 GT3 and it ended up in allthingsporsche’s inventory. Allthingsporsche’s also has other accounts they use for shill bidding.
This is true. I remember one of his auctions he got mixed up and started answering questions as the seller but from the username of the shill bidder. It was so blatant and PCARMarket did nothing about it. They are aware of what he does and allow it to continue.
Old 09-11-2022, 01:29 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 630 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by GlenGT3
This is true. I remember one of his auctions he got mixed up and started answering questions as the seller but from the username of the shill bidder. It was so blatant and PCARMarket did nothing about it. They are aware of what he does and allow it to continue.
This is a major reason that some of the online auction sites have less credibility than others, meaning the lack of willingness to take action. The one you mentioned isn't the only one slipping up either, as it definitely can and does happen. It's quite unfortunate.
Old 09-13-2022, 01:08 PM
Metaphysician
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

The GT Silver one sold for $285,272 + 5% buyer's fee: https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/2...che-911-gt2-2/

Not sure if the seller was the buyer from the BaT auction earlier in the year, but it squeaked by with a little bit of profit. The detail/dry ice cleaning probably ate into most of that though. Probably a fair price given the minor damage on the CarFax, mileage, and paint meter readings. Still a mystery as to how only the glass was cracked/broken. Ironically, a bidder complimented the seller on their transparency and how well they represented the car. However, the seller didn't provide paint meter readings on all panels, especially the left side where the damage was, nor did they address the extra paint on the front right fender...
Old 09-13-2022, 04:42 PM
atlrvr
Rennlist Member

Received 587 Likes on 260 Posts

I was the commenter (not bidder as I already have my car that complimented the transparency. Maybe my statement was relative to the 2009 GT2, which had really off-putting engagement. I'm also sympathetic to owners not fully knowing the history of a car, but in that absence of knowledge provided receipt for the glass work. If I'm bidding that car, I call the body shop and say "remember a silver GT2 that came in 9 months ago...." At some point, buyers have to be responsible for doing their own work. I personally didn't see an questions, or at least follow-up questions, that were blown off.

I think that value was fair. There were clearly some issue small details with the car that suggested it wasn't a top tier example, but it was a really nice car, and I appreciated the effort the seller put in to try to present it as nice as possible (both the cleaning as well as the "what does she need?" service at a Porsche dealer).

Old 09-13-2022, 05:29 PM
Metaphysician
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by atlrvr
I was the commenter (not bidder as I already have my car that complimented the transparency. Maybe my statement was relative to the 2009 GT2, which had really off-putting engagement. I'm also sympathetic to owners not fully knowing the history of a car, but in that absence of knowledge provided receipt for the glass work. If I'm bidding that car, I call the body shop and say "remember a silver GT2 that came in 9 months ago...." At some point, buyers have to be responsible for doing their own work. I personally didn't see an questions, or at least follow-up questions, that were blown off.

I think that value was fair. There were clearly some issue small details with the car that suggested it wasn't a top tier example, but it was a really nice car, and I appreciated the effort the seller put in to try to present it as nice as possible (both the cleaning as well as the "what does she need?" service at a Porsche dealer).
My mistake; I saw "registered bidder" and assumed the label was for that specific auction. Yea I'll give you that - by comparison, the Meteor Gray seller was a bit over the top and dismissive about the DME report, GT2s are "unbreakable", and that he "owns lots of them".
Old 09-13-2022, 09:11 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 267 Posts

So for what's its worth, here's where we are close to three months later...a rare opportunity to calculate the current rate of appreciation of a particular car (with its particular issues).

Old 09-14-2022, 05:36 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Originally Posted by Metaphysician
The GT Silver one sold for $285,272 + 5% buyer's fee: https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/2...che-911-gt2-2/

Not sure if the seller was the buyer from the BaT auction earlier in the year, but it squeaked by with a little bit of profit. The detail/dry ice cleaning probably ate into most of that though. Probably a fair price given the minor damage on the CarFax, mileage, and paint meter readings. Still a mystery as to how only the glass was cracked/broken. Ironically, a bidder complimented the seller on their transparency and how well they represented the car. However, the seller didn't provide paint meter readings on all panels, especially the left side where the damage was, nor did they address the extra paint on the front right fender...
Looks like a dealer ended up with it. I think there isn’t a lot of money left on the table that this car could get. Don’t feel this example is worth more than $300k.

https://www.mbgilbert.com/vehicle-de...rader_listings
Old 09-14-2022, 07:40 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Looks like a dealer ended up with it. I think there isn’t a lot of money left on the table that this car could get. Don’t feel this example is worth more than $300k.

https://www.mbgilbert.com/vehicle-de...rader_listings
Strange. Looks like no longer in their inventory and that URL is no longer good. However, it shows up today as a new listing in Autotrader:

This car is getting passed around like a hot potato, and I think distorting the known market as a result.

Enough of this car. Id like to see one without an asterisk after its VIN change hands.

Last edited by mchrono; 09-14-2022 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-15-2022, 03:08 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

45k-mile Guards Red GT2. Maybe this driver example could be a good buy for someone in this crazy marketplace. Hopefully the price isn’t too crazy.

https://www.barrettautogallery.com/v...d926ffd2838dee

VIN: WP0AD29988S796065

Last edited by RapidGT; 09-15-2022 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-15-2022, 03:23 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

45k-mile Guards Red GT2. Maybe this driver example could be a good buy for someone in this crazy marketplace. Hopefully the price isn’t too crazy.

Just got off the phone with them.
Was told that it was owned by a local doctor. Front fenders and roof repainted.
They were trailering it to a track event and the wheels fell off the trailer and hit the car, requiring a repaint.
Carfax does not mention any bodywork.

They are asking $299.

Last edited by mchrono; 09-15-2022 at 03:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Metaphysician (09-16-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 05:26 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by mchrono
Just got off the phone with them.
Was told that it was owned by a local doctor. Front fenders and roof repainted.
They were trailering it to a track event and the wheels fell off the trailer and hit the car, requiring a repaint.
Carfax does not mention any bodywork.

They are asking $299.
Man, this is so far up my alley its not even funny: 1) great color (imho); (2) driver miles; and 3) little bit of history that will make 90% of the gt2 buying market pass over it. Only problem is that it seems that price is still too high for a "story" car with miles and significant paint work. Well, that and the "problem" that I'm not ready to give up the scud, which is what it would take for me to swing this right now. Maybe it will still be around in 6 months!!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by ScottArizona:
mchrono (09-15-2022), vtgt (09-17-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 07:21 PM
keepupp
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
Man, this is so far up my alley its not even funny: 1) great color (imho); (2) driver miles; and 3) little bit of history that will make 90% of the gt2 buying market pass over it. Only problem is that it seems that price is still too high for a "story" car with miles and significant paint work. Well, that and the "problem" that I'm not ready to give up the scud, which is what it would take for me to swing this right now. Maybe it will still be around in 6 months!!!!
Giving up a Scud for anything would be tough. I regularly drive these back to back and the experience is very different but both incredible. The sound and the scud thud, omg

Old 09-15-2022, 08:20 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by keepupp
Giving up a Scud for anything would be tough. I regularly drive these back to back and the experience is very different but both incredible. The sound and the scud thud, omg
Wow! What an amazing stable! My affinity for the scud is the only reason I don't have a gt2 right now. That, and a classic 930, are really the only other cars that I have lusted after for the past couple years. The gt2 and the scud have similar straight line acceleration from what I can tell, but could not be more different in terms of how the power is put down. My only real complaint about the scud is that its not as "useable" as a "normal" car, whereas the gt2 is so civilized and composed that you could very nearly DD it. Well, that and my perception that the scud is just, generally speaking, a much more complex vehicle with so many additional sensors, pumps, valves and whatnot (for the e-diff, f1 system, mannetino settings, ion sensing coil packs, double intake tracts with double mafs, throttle bodies, etc...). I missed the boat when even colletor quality gt2's were sub $200k (which seemed severely under valued to me even 5 years ago given all the things going for them (super limited production, slam-dunk reliability, insane speeds, easily modifiable, etc....).
The following users liked this post:
keepupp (09-15-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 03:56 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 381 Posts

Interesting to see that GR GT2 up for sale. A little over a year ago, I think in this thread, a member came on and said he was helping a friend sell it. It was a driver with miles so I jumped. Seems so did someone else who was one ahead of me and bought it before I could. The repaint was not discussed at that time so either it happened after purchase or was not disclosed. Shortly thereafter, my Canadian Ebola driver GR GT2 hit BaT and I did not let it slip away.

I am pretty shocked at the ask for this car. Curious to see how long it sits and what it eventually sells for. I too am at 44k mi now, but there is no way I'd sell it.
Old 09-16-2022, 02:43 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

I just realized this the PCNA press car from back in the day. So properly thrashed, but well maintained when on the press fleet.

Last edited by RapidGT; 09-16-2022 at 02:45 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by RapidGT:
atlrvr (09-17-2022), mchrono (09-16-2022), Metaphysician (09-16-2022)

Quick Reply: 997 GT2 Market