Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Crap! Allstate bailed on me! Insurance help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 11:26 AM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crap! Allstate bailed on me! Insurance help!

I've insured with allstate for many many years and my rep has always covered DE's at the track with my cars. NOW, just to make sure the new RS would be covered, I called him to confirm that DE's are covered and he called back and said he could not cover on the track anymore. This came straight from his underwriter.
That really sux, because I get good rates. Does anyone know of another well-known company that would cover DE's and all the usual stuff? MOST OF ALL, WILL THEY AT LEAST PUT IT IN AN EMAIL OR WRITING OF SOME KIND? If not, I would not count on being covered with an accident from the track.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 04-14-2010, 11:38 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sadly, it's becoming a trend w/ insurance co.'s .....
Old 04-14-2010, 11:40 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You don't need anything in an email or letter, what you need is a copy of the exclusions from the policy. Many are very specific and say "...no activities taking place on a track including racing, drivers education, etc." Others, which is probably what you had before, simply excluded "Timed events or racing", so DE is covered because it is not excluded. Before giving up on your current policy, look at your policy and / or ask your agent for the policy language for the RS coverage. He should be able to email you a PDF of the specific exclusions. It sounds to me like the underwriter is strongly discouraging DE, but if it's not excluded I don't see how it can be enforced.

Try a search on DE Insurance in the racing / DE area. This has been covered many times before and you'll probably learn quite a bit.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Max Power
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the PCA now offers some sort of track insurance.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:59 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

The PCA policy is about $971 per event for a $150k car with a 10% deductible ($2000 min, $5000 max). So, figure a cool $1000 per event plus exposure of $5k. Compared with full coverage by your standard auto policy that doesn't specifically exclude Drivers Ed... Of course there are other factors. If you have an incident your carrier may decide to raise your rates or drop you and then the next time you are pretty much forced into a DE policy. I know 2 people who had total losses on their standard policy and both were covered and neither were dropped. It's a legitimate claim on the policy.

http://pcahpdeins.locktonaffinity.co...ult.aspx?cID=1
Old 04-14-2010, 12:06 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the way to go. I have it on my RS and incoming Spyder (which will also be heavily tracked). I bought $10,000 deductible, up to 15 different events in a 12 month period. If I do more events, I buy coverage in increments of 5 events. When you do the math, it is MUCH cheaper per event than PCA coverge per event.

http://www.wsibinsurance.com/online/de.shtml

Kraig Hopkins
WSIB Motorsports Insurance
Phone 866-904-9742, Ext 2506
Fax 866-974-2329
kraigh@wsibinsurance.com
Cellular 419-302-3642

"The Drivers Education Physical Damage policy is designed to provide physical damage coverage for street legal and or track prepared vehicle while “On Track”. The coverage will pick up where your standard auto policy ends, if you are participating in approved Drivers Education, Member Day, Autocross, Open Track and Time Trail event.

The purpose of the program is to provide coverage for damage to a Named Vehicle(s), driven by a Named Driver(s) while participating in a Named Event(s), each of these are to be declared within the application. Additional Vehicles, Drivers, and Events maybe added to the policy, this must submitted and approved prior to the event.

This is first party coverage only and does not extend to damage to the track, bodily injury and or physical damage to another vehicle. If you are interested in coverage that covers damage to the track and or other(s) property please ask about our Drivers Education Liability policy.

Any time the vehicle(s) is “Off Track”, the personal auto policy or an Off Track and Storage policy for the Named Vehicle(s) will provide coverage as it is not on closed course circuit course. Coverage begins and ends while the Named Vehicle(s) enters the track at Named Events only."
Old 04-14-2010, 12:19 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
This is the way to go. I have it on my RS and incoming Spyder (which will also be heavily tracked). I bought $10,000 deductible, up to 15 different events in a 12 month period. If I do more events, I buy coverage in increments of 5 events. When you do the math, it is MUCH cheaper per event than PCA coverge per event.

http://www.wsibinsurance.com/online/de.shtml

Kraig Hopkins
WSIB Motorsports Insurance
Phone 866-904-9742, Ext 2506
Fax 866-974-2329
kraigh@wsibinsurance.com
Cellular 419-302-3642

"The Drivers Education Physical Damage policy is designed to provide physical damage coverage for street legal and or track prepared vehicle while “On Track”. The coverage will pick up where your standard auto policy ends, if you are participating in approved Drivers Education, Member Day, Autocross, Open Track and Time Trail event.

The purpose of the program is to provide coverage for damage to a Named Vehicle(s), driven by a Named Driver(s) while participating in a Named Event(s), each of these are to be declared within the application. Additional Vehicles, Drivers, and Events maybe added to the policy, this must submitted and approved prior to the event.

This is first party coverage only and does not extend to damage to the track, bodily injury and or physical damage to another vehicle. If you are interested in coverage that covers damage to the track and or other(s) property please ask about our Drivers Education Liability policy.

Any time the vehicle(s) is “Off Track”, the personal auto policy or an Off Track and Storage policy for the Named Vehicle(s) will provide coverage as it is not on closed course circuit course. Coverage begins and ends while the Named Vehicle(s) enters the track at Named Events only."
This seems pretty good. Do you have an estimate of the cost per year? Reliable company...history of payout?

Originally Posted by RonCT
The PCA policy is about $971 per event for a $150k car with a 10% deductible ($2000 min, $5000 max). So, figure a cool $1000 per event plus exposure of $5k. Compared with full coverage by your standard auto policy that doesn't specifically exclude Drivers Ed... Of course there are other factors. If you have an incident your carrier may decide to raise your rates or drop you and then the next time you are pretty much forced into a DE policy. I know 2 people who had total losses on their standard policy and both were covered and neither were dropped. It's a legitimate claim on the policy.

http://pcahpdeins.locktonaffinity.co...ult.aspx?cID=1
Crap! Too expensive.
You don't need anything in an email or letter, what you need is a copy of the exclusions from the policy. Many are very specific and say "...no activities taking place on a track including racing, drivers education, etc." Others, which is probably what you had before, simply excluded "Timed events or racing", so DE is covered because it is not excluded. Before giving up on your current policy, look at your policy and / or ask your agent for the policy language for the RS coverage. He should be able to email you a PDF of the specific exclusions. It sounds to me like the underwriter is strongly discouraging DE, but if it's not excluded I don't see how it can be enforced.

Try a search on DE Insurance in the racing / DE area. This has been covered many times before and you'll probably learn quite a bit.
I'll give that a shot and see what it says. Thanks guys!
Old 04-14-2010, 12:48 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
This seems pretty good. Do you have an estimate of the cost per year? Reliable company...history of payout?
Reliable by all accounts. Good history. So many variables to quote so I would urge you to fill out the app and you will get a reply quickly (1-3 business days)

Good luck!
Old 04-14-2010, 01:16 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

The PCA policy people are saying they are creating a "season" policy. Will have to see how that prices up. What is the pricing structure of WSIB for DE? Something like 3% of the value of the car for the season? A $100k car would be $3000 for up to 10 events (including 2 day events)?
Old 04-14-2010, 05:09 PM
savyboy
Drifting

The PCA policy people are saying they are creating a "season" policy. Will have to see how that prices up. What is the pricing structure of WSIB for DE? Something like 3% of the value of the car for the season? A $100k car would be $3000 for up to 10 events (including 2 day events)?
Season Policy from PCA will only be good if they cover events by different organizations, NOT just PCA. I run with multiple organizers.

Pricing will depend on your claim history and credit score I would presume. For me closer to 4% (for up to 15 events), so you are right in the ballpark.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

The major problem with WSIB and similar DE insurance companies is that they don't cover open track days, or any events that offer more generous track time.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:36 PM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in NC my broker confirmed that insurance with State Farm DOES cover DE events, said something about in NC they cannot exclude it(!)

I double checked with the underwriters/claims dept and asked them to confirm in writing which they did. Im still not convinced, and have a WSIB policy just to make sure (it took ages to get State Farm to confirm and I had track days in between and couldnt wait in the end).
Old 04-14-2010, 10:29 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hans...try these contacts out for some insight:

1. Laurel DE management by Dave Empringham 866 518 1110

2. www.competition-cars-insurance.../products2.htm

3. www.insuremyrace.com/racing-insurance/track-day/

4. older contact...by seth thomas on rennilst: chris maume @ snellings walters motorsports insurance 678 648 8415
cmaume@snellingswalters.com

perhaps one of these will pan out....Dave Empringham had good rates a couple of years ago FWIW

Franz
Old 04-14-2010, 11:32 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If something does happen, you could just toe the car out to a road as they will cover a single car road accident.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
If something does happen, you could just toe the car out to a road as they will cover a single car road accident.
And then go to jail when they uncover insurance fraud.

Quick Reply: Crap! Allstate bailed on me! Insurance help!