Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Crap! Allstate bailed on me! Insurance help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010 | 11:36 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Not sure it would be worth going to jail on insurance fraud... We're driving Porsches, so pony up for the correct coverage.
Old 04-15-2010 | 12:40 AM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
I've insured with allstate for many many years and my rep has always covered DE's at the track with my cars. NOW, just to make sure the new RS would be covered, I called him to confirm that DE's are covered and he called back and said he could not cover on the track anymore. This came straight from his underwriter.
That really sux, because I get good rates. Does anyone know of another well-known company that would cover DE's and all the usual stuff? MOST OF ALL, WILL THEY AT LEAST PUT IT IN AN EMAIL OR WRITING OF SOME KIND? If not, I would not count on being covered with an accident from the track.

Don't crash !
Old 04-15-2010 | 05:33 AM
HRMinHawaii
Advanced

I've insured with allstate for many many years and my rep has always covered DE's at the track with my cars. NOW, just to make sure the new RS would be covered, I called him to confirm that DE's are covered and he called back and said he could not cover on the track anymore. This came straight from his underwriter.
That really sux, because I get good rates. Does anyone know of another well-known company that would cover DE's and all the usual stuff? MOST OF ALL, WILL THEY AT LEAST PUT IT IN AN EMAIL OR WRITING OF SOME KIND? If not, I would not count on being covered with an accident from the track.
I have also had Allstate for years. I was planning track days at Laguna Seca, so I checked with my agent. Allstate does not cover incidents on any racing surface even for driving school. I got away with 3 days on track and no shunts, happily.
Old 04-15-2010 | 12:38 PM
Macster
Race Director

Frankly Allstate did you a favor. My advice based on my experience with Allstate in my claim for my 996 Turbo (hit a frickin' mule deer with it!) was horrible.

Allstate charged me 996 Turbo premiums and then when I had to file a cliam to get the car repaired (thankfully it was not severely damaged but still it cost over $20K to fix it (righ!) Allstate tried its damned best to fix the car like a 5 year old Ford Focus. It used its preferred shop agreement with one excellent body shop that I used before with another car to restrict this shop from doing a proper repair, to the point the owner urged me to remove the car from his shop and take it to another shop that was not a preferred shop of Allstate's.

I could write pages of what I went through but just let me say this: If you own a Porsche and have Allstate insurance I hope you never have to file a claim.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-16-2010 | 07:19 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Here in New England, one of the major companies is Amica and I had several conversations with them. It went up "senior management" and they said no, no coverage on any track events. Period. Granted you could always try and argue with them after an unfortunate event, but I have decided to buy dedicated track insurance for DE events. I've just seen too many broken cars.
Old 04-16-2010 | 07:38 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

better than you calling and telling them your age (im 24) and the car (997.2) and them saying "sorry we cannot help you... try and call geico or progressive.. lol.. this was for daily driving and nothign track related.
Old 04-16-2010 | 07:38 PM
ssdaytona
Track Day

FYI,

allstate is one of the worst for repairs. The would rather have the bodyshop use non-OEM parts.
Old 04-19-2010 | 01:23 AM
Salespunk
Instructor

It is illegal in California for the insurer to force a specific shop on you or use non OEM parts FYI.
Old 04-19-2010 | 02:07 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Salespunk
It is illegal in California for the insurer to force a specific shop on you or use non OEM parts FYI.
Maybe so but Allstate refused to pay for a tow to a shop qualified to repair my Turbo. I found one in Las Vegas and Allstate refused cause it was not one of their Pro shops. A GM shop was and Allstate wanted me to take my Turbo the GM shop. Found another shop in Reno and Alltate refused to tow car there too.

While the car was in Ely NV -- I was on a trip and hit a deer -- I was insured by CA Allstate. CA being my home.

Then when I got the idea of having the car towed to Las Vegas GM dealer and then moving the car to this other qualified shop Allstate refused to even tow the car to anywhere. I was told the car was at a Pro shop in Ely and the car could be fixed there The shop in Ely refused to work on the car and I wouldn't have let it anyhow. Allstate told me to take the car to a gas station and have temp repairs done and drive the car back home (600+ miles).

I refused. PCNA told me it doesn't consider a car roadworthy after an accident until the car inspected by one of its dealerships and its service personel.

When I did get the car to a qualifed shop in Livermore (where I live) Allstate used its Pro shop relationship to prevent the body shop from doing a proper repair of the car. It got so bad the owner of the shop told me to take the car away to another shop. He apologized but said that his hands were tied and because he got a lot of business from Allstate he'd rather lose one repair job (mine) vs. maybe 30% or more of his total repair jobs.

The shop I moved the car to did a proper job and Allstate paid for most of it. If I'm successful with my legal efforts it will end up paying for all of it.

I wouldn't have broken roller skate insured by Allstate let alone a Porsche.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-19-2010 | 01:56 PM
FLM911
Racer

Allstate - nasty the way that they push you into their preferred bodyshops and probably nickel and dime the facility at the same time. Sounds like healthcare in the USA!

Off topic, but anyone recommend their insurance company for non-track - that is where a claim has had to be made? Im with state farm but havent had to file any claims (and hope it stays that way).
Old 04-19-2010 | 04:32 PM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by leif997
Hans...try these contacts out for some insight:

1. Laurel DE management by Dave Empringham 866 518 1110

2. www.competition-cars-insurance.../products2.htm

3. www.insuremyrace.com/racing-insurance/track-day/

4. older contact...by seth thomas on rennilst: chris maume @ snellings walters motorsports insurance 678 648 8415
cmaume@snellingswalters.com

perhaps one of these will pan out....Dave Empringham had good rates a couple of years ago FWIW

Franz
Thanks Franz! Hope you are well my friend.
Old 04-19-2010 | 04:33 PM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

This has been a very informative post fellas. Thanks. Hopefully, it will help out some other RLer's too.
Old 05-19-2010 | 01:36 PM
obsessedone
Racer

Ace still covers DE
Old 05-19-2010 | 02:17 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

It's a stark reminder that the "denial" of taking a car to the track overrides common sense -- we're all taking on a risk (personal and financial) that we can't cover.

I have AllState, so I have nothing. Others have had USAA or State Farm and they've thought they had something only to discover they had nothing.

If you look at the numbers for a "policy" like the thing Savy has, it's about $450-$500 is you're lucky enough to take a $150K car to 15 events. Then you damage the car, pay the $5000 on top, so you're down let's say $10K. Then you have the car "repaired" and it has diminished value (does the track day policy cover diminished value?) so your resale value just dropped another, say, 20% or maybe 30% on a new RS in the first two years and maybe 10% on a given new GT after the first two years. Somewhere from $30K to at least $10K diminished value. Let's assume you have very good medical and the life-flight chopper ride to the crappy nearest hospital, then the ICU transfer to a "real" hospital doesn't set you back (otherwise, budget on $100K incidentals just to get your kneecaps put back on, because you're probably not wearing that six-point properly or it's not properly installed, etc...)

I think if anyone ever gets over the denial, they either get a bespoke race car and take the risk seriously or they quit. 99% of us just rest on denial, drive a decade or so uneventfully and that's that ... no more risk than the proverbial crossing the street ... and a helluva lot less risk than eating a cheeseburger and fries ... now THAT will KILL YOU!
Old 05-19-2010 | 05:56 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default OEM

Originally Posted by Salespunk
Ever wonder why your rates are so high!

Also, as an Insurance Agent in Virginia, I can offer some input. Auto policies vary by state, so the langauge about on track coverage will differ. It is true that auto rates were never developed to cover the exposures presented by Drivers Education. I had a nasty off two months ago after driving through a massive amount of coolant by a BMW at Brake Marker 5 at Turn 1 at a Zone 2 DE. I hit the tire wall at 90-100 MPH sideways. $11,000 body damage and NO mechanical damage. I submitted the claim to NW and it took them two weeks to decide to cover the claim based on our reading of the policy. Since my car is modifed to run Stock H, I got a call from my senior underwritier who told me "That car needs to be removed from your policy!" It has been removed and I turned in my tags. Now I have Comp and Collision through Hagerty $35,000 Agreed Value so that my car is covered in the Paddock, Trailer, at home or in storage and the premium is $600 per year.

I think we will see the language amended in Virginia so that no coverage will apply to DE. That is the way it should be honestly.

Last edited by bella1; 05-19-2010 at 06:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Crap! Allstate bailed on me! Insurance help!