Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Compare: Scuderia vs '10 RS

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 06:51 PM
gmolinari
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compare: Scuderia vs '10 RS

Placed an order for a May build RS, however having some second thoughts as I took a ride in a '08 Scuderia this weekend and it was mind blowing. There seem to be a lot of ultra low mileage scuds on the market these days and they are negotiable. I figure for an extra 65k or so compared to my incoming RS I could pick one up (220-225).

I would like to hear from owners or folks with direct seat experience in both the new RS and Scuderia. The purpose of this car for me is as a weekend toy, a few (probably less than 6) track days per year and limited mileage. I would be surprised if I put more than 2-3k miles on the car per year.

In light of this .. what do you guys think?
Old 04-12-2010, 07:12 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sure, why not. If you fancy a Scuderia then go for it. NJ-GT was able to track and street a Scuderia at very reasonable cost. RS will be a better choice as far as a dedicated track car
Old 04-12-2010, 07:22 PM
gmolinari
Instructor

My car will be mainly street car .. Although I do want to hit the track now and then. Young family makes it harder for me to take a lot of weekends off to get to a track these days.

I look forward to hearing more comments.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:24 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Scuderia for your type of driving. Mike
Old 04-12-2010, 08:23 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

It's a Ferrari. It's not a 911. If you like a 911 for its unique all-in-the-rear driving dynamics, the Scud is not it.

BTW... I think we are seeing the last of the classic 911 designs. Going forward I suspect the car will be more balanced, more sanitized, more Scud.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:34 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,140 Likes on 594 Posts

if you're really not going to use it on the track often- scud.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:38 PM
ROK
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fcar no question
Old 04-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a very quick (that is, brief) session at Sears in the Scuderia. It's an impressive experience ( surprisingly excessive understeer) but the gearbox is junk and overall left me thinking too much about the price and not enough about the car or the driving of it. A 6spd manual in a 430 would be interesting.

The only thing that blows my mind about the Scuderia is how quickly they've depreciated. The Scuderia marked the point when current model Ferrari's stopped holding resale value and I wonder if Ferrari will be able to resurrect that characteristic.

In any case, I'd suggest holding your nose (if you can't stand the appearance) and getting a 458 Italia -- it will run rings around the Scuderia.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:46 PM
gmolinari
Instructor

Cgt - interesting view thanks. Couple things

1) I thought the consensus on the gearbox was that it was actually quite spectacular, so I'm surprised by your comment. What in particular did you not like other than the philosophical matter of preferring a manual?

2) the 458 would actually be first choice probably but seems impossible to source one without becoming part of the owners club with a different model. Called a few dealers and the lists with deposits are 50-150 ppl deep! Would love to hear anyone that knows otherwise.

3) depreciation has been brutal for original owners for sure but at this point I wonder how much is left in it. I think I can get a 1000mi car for about 230. I don't mind losing another 20-30k at trade or resale after owning over a couple years. I think the new RS will be about the same cost of ownership and more on a percentage basis
Old 04-12-2010, 09:50 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

If your thinking about resale value they all drop. Just enjoy the car- paint chips included : ). Mike
Old 04-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gmolinari
Cgt - interesting view thanks. Couple things

1) I thought the consensus on the gearbox was that it was actually quite spectacular, so I'm surprised by your comment. What in particular did you not like other than the philosophical matter of preferring a manual?

2) the 458 would actually be first choice probably but seems impossible to source one without becoming part of the owners club with a different model. Called a few dealers and the lists with deposits are 50-150 ppl deep! Would love to hear anyone that knows otherwise.

3) depreciation has been brutal for original owners for sure but at this point I wonder how much is left in it. I think I can get a 1000mi car for about 230. I don't mind losing another 20-30k at trade or resale after owning over a couple years. I think the new RS will be about the same cost of ownership and more on a percentage basis
The F1 transmission is a piece of history, but an anachronism in a world of dual-clutch boxes. At slow speeds, it shifts roughly and makes mistakes. At moderate pace on the track, it was completely confused. Driving it "manually" works fine.

I think you're about right on dollar amounts re. Scuderia and RS. Percentages are neither here nor there.

It almost goes without saying that the dealers are flatly lying to you about demand for the car. I've already been approached for the 458 and I know of others already looking at the 458 for sticker, but baulking at their trade-in valuations. Surely there will be early "first kid on the block" buyers, but as with the 430 and 360, Ferrari will make as many as they can sell, all the while trying to play a game of lies with buyers to create the illusion of it being an elite clique of buyers that get preferential access to cars ... it's all marketing lies. Some buyers will sway to the music. Some will not. Years ago, for sure, it was fairly true that Ferraris were a "pecking order" car and it was necessary to work your way up the order. I wonder if even Ferrari can recreate that brand value when this global great recession eventually passes.

The 458, on paper, is astonishing and I don't think the RS can answer that level of specifications. If only it weren't just so outlandishly designed.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:08 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gmolinari
The depreciation for the scudaeria will be on the factor of $20-$30K every year instead of every couple years especially with the introduction of the new Ferrari 458 Italia (which is so ugly you can't paid me enough to own one). 360 challenge is a perfect example as far as depreciation goes. 2010 RS will hold value much better but you need to get it at MSRP. I would estimate a 2010 RS will lose about $30K in value over the course of 2-3 years.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:22 PM
gmolinari
Instructor

My current order is for the RS at MSRP, no issues there. Just cold feet (and of course looking around for a new toy is half the fun) wanting to make sure I get the most amusement for my dollar. There are a lot of great options out there right now between new and pre-owned so its making the decision more involved.

perhaps I could get on one of these infamous 458 lists hoping it gets shorter in practice and just play with the RS in the meantime .. might be the path of least resistance. But I was offered a scud test drive from a local dealer that I think I will take just to see for myself ..
Old 04-12-2010, 10:50 PM
FRIZ
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 32 Posts

I have had a 996 GT3 and 997 GT3 both were amazing on and off the track.
I bought a 360 CS for the last 6 months while the RS was ordered and I can't wait till it gets here...
The Ferrari is ( this might sound funny ) almost to flashy for me. Also it is not nearly as fun to drive around town..IMO, but it does look DAM cool !!!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:04 PM
gmolinari
Instructor

friz I hear you on the scud being high profile. that will probably go over like a lead balloon in my neck of the woods. but on the other hand its not like a grey RS with red decals and wheels is going to be that much lower profile ..

Quick Reply: Compare: Scuderia vs '10 RS