Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The question is: Keep my '07 GT3 or go for the '10 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Lief,
I met you years ago at VIR and again at Summit point, I was driving a 3rd gen RX7 and still am but at this point I'm seriously considering a 997 GT3 so if you decide to sell or trade please give me call 434 981 6714

Thanks,
Fritz
Old 02-24-2010, 11:52 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
Hi Lief,
I met you years ago at VIR and again at Summit point, I was driving a 3rd gen RX7 and still am but at this point I'm seriously considering a 997 GT3 so if you decide to sell or trade please give me call 434 981 6714

Thanks,
Fritz
good to know youre still around!!
will hit you up pending what I do.

club racing now? in what?

regards
Old 02-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Hi Lief,

Thanks,
Fritz
there are at least 2-3 for sale on the forums right now...
Old 02-24-2010, 02:30 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
Leif,

As a DD the .2 is quite a bit nicer.

I didn't give a rats-behind about "Ring times", it was about the driving experience for me. Had an RS, a 3 and now a .2 3.

The new engine is amazing on the street. Literally insanely smooth in delivery and feel. TQ-y too!

If the moola is the issue, negotiate the buy out. If fun, then...
Agreed with the above.

Based on recollections over the same roads as well as a back to back day in 997-1 GT3 RS and a 997-2 GT3 chassis, I noticed improvements in roll couple and some other minor aspects related to improved geometries in the newer car. 3.8 was nice, too. The car did not, however, fully address my biggest beef with the original 997 GT3, which is damping.

I think the new 3 is worth every penny as a purchase, but I'd have a hard time justifying it as a trade-up over a 997-1 GT3. Of course, Mooty puts it best with regards to logic and these things...

pete
Old 02-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by excmag
Agreed with the above.

Based on recollections over the same roads as well as a back to back day in 997-1 GT3 RS and a 997-2 GT3 chassis, I noticed improvements in roll couple and some other minor aspects related to improved geometries in the newer car. 3.8 was nice, too. The car did not, however, fully address my biggest beef with the original 997 GT3, which is damping.

I think the new 3 is worth every penny as a purchase, but I'd have a hard time justifying it as a trade-up over a 997-1 GT3. Of course, Mooty puts it best with regards to logic and these things...

pete
I would love to drive both cars 'back-to-back' to see how the new suspension geometry, stability electronics, transmission upgrades and engine compare.

I agree there is NO logic to trading in a perfectly good .1 for a new .2 ... only to reset the "depreciation" cliff all over again ... but little is logical wrt
ownership of these cars ...

As the remaining stocks dwindle and there seems little likelyhood of another production run in '11 (or thereafter) ... it's probably now or never ... and I
assume that a new GT3 will be 3-4 years out at this point ... can they make the 4.0 (3.9) RSR engine reliably/durable enough for the road I wonder?

Old 02-24-2010, 02:39 PM
mikey175
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Market prices? Well let me add some recent experience...

I am in the midst of a career change and have been thinking about selling my 07 GT3. I have used it as my DD and it now has 38K miles. The trade-in estimates from dealers (that know these cars) for this car with these miles was $50-60K, with an expected retail sale price in the low to mid $60's. Now how do you rationalize trading this car at that price, for what you are likely to get in return???
Old 02-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikey175

I am in the midst of a career change and have been thinking about selling my 07 GT3. I have used it as my DD and it now has 38K miles. The trade-in estimates from dealers (that know these cars) for this car with these miles was $50-60K, with an expected retail sale price in the low to mid $60's. Now how do you rationalize trading this car at that price, for what you are likely to get in return???
Simple - DONT!

With 50-60k in your back pocket I dont think you could replace your .1 with anything that would satisfy you ... IMHO ...

Old 02-24-2010, 04:26 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Larry,
No doubt there are some terrific deals which is what leads me into the GT3 realm. I'm close to pulling the trigger now but the car doesn't have the color combos I desire. I'd prefer white w/ red BS and carbon. I'd also prefer a car w/ as many track upgrades as possible as I don't have much interest in driving it on the street.

Lief,
No racing for me, tried it in 2006 but don't have the time or money to do it at the level I'd feel comfortable with.

Just instructing and running time trials here and there.

I'll be at VIR in may w/ First Settlers but I doubt you'll be attending as I understand the race bug bit you long ago and I'm sure lapping at this point is a bit mundane.

Here's a vid from last years event: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsEvfDbCD2s

For those interested in looking for their car there's also a vid from the First Settlers grand course last year which was a blast
Old 02-24-2010, 05:32 PM
mikey175
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Simple - DONT!

With 50-60k in your back pocket I dont think you could replace your .1 with anything that would satisfy you ... IMHO ...

Ding Ding Ding....that was EXACTLY the conclusion I came to! How great is it when logic and Porsches intersect?
Old 02-24-2010, 05:45 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,676 Likes on 778 Posts

Ding Ding Ding....that was EXACTLY the conclusion I came to! How great is it when logic and Porsches intersect?
But then you know you are going to order a 3.9 and shorter gear ration and you know you need those new seats and you need and you need........... :-)

But you are right of course, if I would not have ordered it in April '08, I would just buy and '07RS.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:12 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I would love to drive both cars 'back-to-back' to see how the new suspension geometry, stability electronics, transmission upgrades and engine compare.

I agree there is NO logic to trading in a perfectly good .1 for a new .2 ... only to reset the "depreciation" cliff all over again ... but little is logical wrt
ownership of these cars ...

As the remaining stocks dwindle and there seems little likelyhood of another production run in '11 (or thereafter) ... it's probably now or never ... and I
assume that a new GT3 will be 3-4 years out at this point ... can they make the 4.0 (3.9) RSR engine reliably/durable enough for the road I wonder?

You raise a good point about the PSM/TC systems. With the 997 GT2 and 997-2 in general, they made a really nice fuzzy leap from their previous binary action. But, again, it's not enough to justify the money spoken about on these deals.

On the other hand, one more reason this addiction is like dying from a thousand small cuts — Porsche improves its cars subtly but usefully on so many levels. On the one hand, you take a few and say it's not worth it to change up too soon. And you're right. On the other hand, well, on the other hand is the dying part.

pete
Old 02-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Best you could do is use that money as downpayment on a .2 ...
Old 02-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Larry,
I'd also prefer a car w/ as many track upgrades as possible as I don't have much interest in driving it on the street.
That puts you in a very good position to buy a car (not mine - its stock) from another rennlister who has put signifcant money into track mods ...

Old 02-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Well fate has made the decision for me, the Pioneer car (maritime blue) is sold ... so I guess I will just have to make do with my .1 ...
Old 02-24-2010, 07:56 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It's interesting how dealers are always so quick to devalue things you're selling them, and at the same time, ask for much higher prices on what they're selling.

I spoke with a local salesman last month, who said '07 GT3s were going for high $80s to low $90s. I find it interesting the retail estimate you received was so much lower, since I have yet to see any GT3 in that low 60s price range (and would probably buy one if I saw a reasonably clean example for that price).

Quick Reply: The question is: Keep my '07 GT3 or go for the '10 GT3?