Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Need advice: GTR now, or M3 now and GT3 later?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 07:27 PM
ikos
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raysmd
done! it's the '09 M3 coupe for me. Just stopped by the BMW dealership to take a look at my car and it's perfect. white, black interior, black CF roof, DCT. I got $800 over invoice for a spec'd car. I thought the 0.9% financing was for 2008's.

anyway. This should hold me over until the 2010/11 RS debuts

great choice raysmd!!

pretty much the same plan I have, except im getting the M3 sedan.

we'll see how all that weight and torque of the C63 keeps up with us in the corners!!
Old 11-04-2008, 08:15 PM
raysmd
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I love the looks of the RS4 too. Audi is clearly ahead of BMW in terms of styling.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

Don't rule out a Boxster or Cayman 3.4 either. IMO the best bang for the buck period in any sports car, and they make great DDs.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:47 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea the RS4 deals are out there
Old 11-05-2008, 02:13 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Get a low miles 996 GT3. It has the same price as a BMW M3.

I like the M3 for what it's. A great DD, one of the best DD out there, and it leaves OG C-SixtyPig in the dust.

GTR, it's a Nissan. Walk to a Nissan dealer, and you get the idea of what/who you will be dealing with for the next few months/years. Do the same with a Porsche dealer.

Get a CPO 2005 996 GT3, and be happy.
i made a deal with my p dealer for trade in of my ferrari when the gt3 arrived. on that day he tells me a 'carfax' showed odometer tampering so would have to take $10k off ferrari trade. i walked out since i knew my ferrari was perfect, did my own carfax which was perfect, called the dealer back to confront him and actually heard him say 'sorry, that was ANOTHER 1995 black ferrari's carfax they were looking at by mistake.' told them to go to hell. cant imagine nissan being much worse. they're all car dealers
Old 11-05-2008, 03:16 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
i made a deal with my p dealer for trade in of my ferrari when the gt3 arrived. on that day he tells me a 'carfax' showed odometer tampering so would have to take $10k off ferrari trade. i walked out since i knew my ferrari was perfect, did my own carfax which was perfect, called the dealer back to confront him and actually heard him say 'sorry, that was ANOTHER 1995 black ferrari's carfax they were looking at by mistake.' told them to go to hell. cant imagine nissan being much worse. they're all car dealers
Actually, every Nissan dealer around here has a nice facility. Helped my dad into an Altima and they were great. No BS in the business manager office, lifetime nitrogen refilling of the tires + free road hazard warranty (not a big deal), great walk around on delivery. Truly impressive.

Local Porsche guys are a bit full of themselves or at least they were. Looks pretty quiet over there right now.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:32 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Why does people generalize car dealerships by brand? They are independently owned so some are good some are bad!
Old 11-05-2008, 06:41 PM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cgomez
Don't listen to the GT-R haters...
Take the GTR, and just don't abuse at the track (The M3 brakes will be toast by the 2nd corner so it is the least track worthy of all M3s ever produced).

The M3 is a no-mans-land car nowadays. Neither the most powerful or better street car (Check the C63 for soundtrack!) and a disaster at the track.

Wait for the GT3 or RS and that will be your awesome track car, while you keep replacing the GTR with the newest and greatest every 2-3 years.
I agree. I just got a GTR and it blew my mind away. This compares to my past cars - 993C2, 993TT, 997 GT3, 996 GT2, E60 M5, EVO 5, EVO 8, GOLF GTi, WRX STi RA, EVO X. The car is so good. No lag in power, handling is precise. Drive is efficiently quick and INVOLVING (but not as quite as a 7GT3 of course). Can be a great daily driver, fit two kids (I could fit in the back for a short trip in fact - 5'7) and beat a 997 GT3 on the track (according to numerous and respectable reviews particularly Chris Harris who used to love Porsches). There's been a isolated case of tranny abuse (owner didn't break it in properly and constantly used launch control). Believe the hype and at least try the car and don't just sit in it. If you're not too insecure about your social status and don't mind owning a GREAT Japanese car I suggest you to consider one.

Sorry if this hurts or angers most of the P car lovers here. I just wanted to share my .02 thoughts here since I owned four Porsches.

Last edited by silverboy; 11-05-2008 at 06:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-05-2008, 06:47 PM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by joeTurbo
I have both a GT-R and GT3, and AMG e63.
I'd go with the GT-R. It is the anti-Porsche - rough, seemingly unsophisticated (almost feels American), and without pedigree - but it goes like stink, faster than my GT3 at the track, and never spins (like the GT3 wants to do at the slightest provocation). I have used it as a daily driver for the two months I have had it, and parked my E63 (it is boring and just gathering dust). The GT3 is great on a track, but on the street, driven at moderate pace, is just "another Porsche" ie. good car - not too exciting.
The GT-R is fully exploitable at every stoplight, every on-ramp or just passing on a two lane road - just to feel all that torque!
I also looked at an M3, and found it to be a very nice, civilized car - but lacking the thrill I wanted on a daily basis.
I have 5000 miles on the GT-R, including over 1000 miles on the track (7 sessions), and my only complaint is that it is too heavy for a pure track car - but that does not stop it from outrunning every other car I have compared it with, including my GT3 and my Z06.
+1 Joeturbo. The GTR is that good guys. You'll do things you've never done before.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by wilfred
Why does people generalize car dealerships by brand? They are independently owned so some are good some are bad!
Yes there are. But the reality we face is there are more TURDS out there then otherwise.

It's a fact the good ones have to over come. Comes w/ the territory.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:57 PM
One of Twenty
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joeTurbo
I have both a GT-R and GT3, and AMG e63.
I'd go with the GT-R. It is the anti-Porsche - rough, seemingly unsophisticated (almost feels American), and without pedigree - but it goes like stink, faster than my GT3 at the track, and never spins (like the GT3 wants to do at the slightest provocation). I have used it as a daily driver for the two months I have had it, and parked my E63 (it is boring and just gathering dust). The GT3 is great on a track, but on the street, driven at moderate pace, is just "another Porsche" ie. good car - not too exciting.
The GT-R is fully exploitable at every stoplight, every on-ramp or just passing on a two lane road - just to feel all that torque!
I also looked at an M3, and found it to be a very nice, civilized car - but lacking the thrill I wanted on a daily basis.
I have 5000 miles on the GT-R, including over 1000 miles on the track (7 sessions), and my only complaint is that it is too heavy for a pure track car - but that does not stop it from outrunning every other car I have compared it with, including my GT3 and my Z06.

GT-R.............the Oprah Winfrey of the "sports car" world.................baby got back.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:03 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no anger about GT-R's. not for me, but glad you're so happy with yours. although since I have been in two now I think you're a little too accepting about the back seat. There really is no room back there.

just wonder why street racing is deemed a healthy outlet by so many GT-R owners.

and again, many of us would rather control the car instead of having the car doing the control. why does that point consistantly escape GT-R owners. they seem unable to understand that.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:12 PM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by allegretto
no anger about GT-R's. not for me, but glad you're so happy with yours. although since I have been in two now I think you're a little too accepting about the back seat. There really is no room back there.

just wonder why street racing is deemed a healthy outlet by so many GT-R owners.

and again, many of us would rather control the car instead of having the car doing the control. why does that point consistantly escape GT-R owners. they seem unable to understand that.
You're right about LC. I'll never use it and in fact never did in my M5. On the rear seats, it's just for my kids (ages 10 & 12). Ideal world would me to have a 7GT3 together w/ the GTR. Sometimes I guess it's not how fast you go but the sensation you get from driving.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:15 PM
996FourEss
Instructor

Allegretto, how do you like your CL? I actually like the way they look for a continental cruiser, am sure very comfortable, but does it really drive differently to a S-class (which I have spent a lot of time in)? Not being critical, just curious, as you have the real deal with the cup car.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:00 PM
CalgaryGT3
Advanced

I would daily drive what I have now and save the money to pick up what you really want sooner. Everything else will always be a compromise if your heart is set on that 993 TT or 7RS.

BTW, I've been a huge M3 fan for a long time and just sold my E46 recently. I have tried really hard to like the new E92 but just could not. It's simply very boring and too refined in all aspects to get excited about. The depreciation on these is also huge already unlike the E46 was. I would have just saved the money towards that P car.

Quick Reply: Need advice: GTR now, or M3 now and GT3 later?