Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Need advice: GTR now, or M3 now and GT3 later?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 09:13 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 996FourEss
Allegretto, how do you like your CL? I actually like the way they look for a continental cruiser, am sure very comfortable, but does it really drive differently to a S-class (which I have spent a lot of time in)? Not being critical, just curious, as you have the real deal with the cup car.
Interesting you should ask. The whole story is that I was waiting for my regular P-dealer to take in a TT-Tip which I would then pick up as my DD. It rains and snows here and when I had my last TT and I put some winter Contis on it I could drive like a mountain goat in inclimate times. But they took a long time and kinda fooled with me on the price so I went across the street to the M-B dealer and they got this one in. First one in the city in 4-matic

In short I like it much better than an S. Even silkier ride but much less bulk. Don't get me wrong, lots of bulk but less than an S. If you understand cornering and weight balancing it handles very well for it's size. My only gripe is that it is short on power, but I spend so little time driving *****-out on the street. That's what the track is for.

But it is definitely in the spectrum of personal coupes, just far more luxo than a TT or GT-R and not as much grunt.

Bottom line? Love it. At least until I fall in love with another...
Old 11-06-2008, 04:49 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, and I thought Porsche options are expensive... check out these price tags for parts for GT-R from Nissan!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...otopanel..1#18
Old 11-06-2008, 04:54 PM
raysmd
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

yea, I know. That would've been the best move, but I had the urge to buy a new car. At first I didn't like the e92 either when compared to the e46. It kinda grew on me and let me say that white with the black CF roof looks very good.

Originally Posted by CalgaryGT3
I would daily drive what I have now and save the money to pick up what you really want sooner. Everything else will always be a compromise if your heart is set on that 993 TT or 7RS.

BTW, I've been a huge M3 fan for a long time and just sold my E46 recently. I have tried really hard to like the new E92 but just could not. It's simply very boring and too refined in all aspects to get excited about. The depreciation on these is also huge already unlike the E46 was. I would have just saved the money towards that P car.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:47 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by raysmd
yea, I know. That would've been the best move, but I had the urge to buy a new car. At first I didn't like the e92 either when compared to the e46. It kinda grew on me and let me say that white with the black CF roof looks very good.
I was the same way, but after driving a bare bones M3 with no tech package and so on, I was sold, felt like the E46 again!
Old 11-06-2008, 09:09 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan
Wow, and I thought Porsche options are expensive... check out these price tags for parts for GT-R from Nissan!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...otopanel..1#18
$20000 for a muffler is not porsche crazy, its mcclaren f1 crazy. wow.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
$20000 for a muffler is not porsche crazy, its mcclaren f1 crazy. wow.
what the heck?

20k? HA that's laughable!
Old 11-07-2008, 12:20 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

For the money, for what it is.....the M3 really has no peers in its segment. Your can debate all you want, but time after time, it's proven to be the best sports coupe and sedan available.

the RS4 and C63AMG can grocery-get just as good, but once you get in the twisties or on the track.....the M3 says
Old 11-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by Mvez
For the money, for what it is.....the M3 really has no peers in its segment. Your can debate all you want, but time after time, it's proven to be the best sports coupe and sedan available.

the RS4 and C63AMG can grocery-get just as good, but once you get in the twisties or on the track.....the M3 says
E46 yes. 100%.

E92 M3= fail. Sorry, but the E46's didn't sit on the lot's until the very end of it's life cycle. That car had a tremendous following and is a fantastic car.

The E92's? Uhhhmmm Nooo.

There are by FAR way less C63's sitting around. It's a much better car for the masses then the E92.

*and as a side note you won't see even close to the amount of M3 buyers/owners on the track w/ the E92 vs. the E46.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:44 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Man, that GTR is ugly, expensive and japanese....how many more reasons do people need NOT to buy one....
Old 11-08-2008, 04:05 AM
gt2nxt
Intermediate

Default interesting......

Originally Posted by iLLM3
I was the same way, but after driving a bare bones M3 with no tech package and so on, I was sold, felt like the E46 again!
just out of curiosity, what part of the tech pack is at fault?...the elec damp control or the M drive? i drove a friend's new M3 coupe, which was all loaded up and i was suprised at how bored with it i was...it was like it was almost too refined, and had no character. don't get me wrong, it did everything very nicely, which to me reads: "boring". i wonder how deleting the tech pack as an option would have made the feel more real, instead of dull.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by gt2nxt
just out of curiosity, what part of the tech pack is at fault?...the elec damp control or the M drive? i drove a friend's new M3 coupe, which was all loaded up and i was suprised at how bored with it i was...it was like it was almost too refined, and had no character. don't get me wrong, it did everything very nicely, which to me reads: "boring". i wonder how deleting the tech pack as an option would have made the feel more real, instead of dull.
+1 I'd like to hear how it changes the way the car drives as well.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:15 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I drove the M3 at two autocrosses, and it was far from boring. Stock alignment, street tires, stock everything.

At the first autoX I was 4 secs behind the fastest overall lap time, a multi SCCA Solo National Champion on full slicks, there were several National Champs at the event. I know how much time I can improve from the stock alignment/stock PS2 tires, going through MPSC/RA-1, or faster V710/A6, or even faster slicks.

The SCCA is considering to assign the M3 to the Super Stock class, the fastest stock class where the Viper, C6 Z06, and GT3 are running. This says a lot about the handling capabilities on the new M3. For reference, the E46 M3 runs in the slower A-Stock class, and it doesn't have a remote chance to be competitive.

At the second autoX (PCA), it did quite well, running faster times than Vettes on A6 tires, an Elise on slicks, all the 997 GT3 / 997 Turbo on street tires.

My car weighs 3,615 lbs with a full tank of fuel. It is not that heavy, compared to my stock 997 GT3 RS with a rollbar at 3,310 lbs with the same fuel load. The car handles much better than plenty of cars I have driven, it just needs a louder exhaust and stiffer springs, springs are a $500 upgrade with aftermarket pieces, exhaust another $2,000. Brakes are fine for the streets, for the track I would install Stoptech, but this is not a track car.

Yes, the GT-R is faster, but this M3 is way cheaper, better looking, and if I need brakes, BMW pays for them, not me. $0 maintenance for the next four years, including clutches, brakes, oil changes, everything but tires.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I drove the M3 at two autocrosses, and it was far from boring. Stock alignment, street tires, stock everything.

At the first autoX I was 4 secs behind the fastest overall lap time, a multi SCCA Solo National Champion on full slicks, there were several National Champs at the event. I know how much time I can improve from the stock alignment/stock PS2 tires, going through MPSC/RA-1, or faster V710/A6, or even faster slicks.

The SCCA is considering to assign the M3 to the Super Stock class, the fastest stock class where the Viper, C6 Z06, and GT3 are running. This says a lot about the handling capabilities on the new M3. For reference, the E46 M3 runs in the slower A-Stock class, and it doesn't have a remote chance to be competitive.

At the second autoX (PCA), it did quite well, running faster times than Vettes on A6 tires, an Elise on slicks, all the 997 GT3 / 997 Turbo on street tires.

My car weighs 3,615 lbs with a full tank of fuel. It is not that heavy, compared to my stock 997 GT3 RS with a rollbar at 3,310 lbs with the same fuel load. The car handles much better than plenty of cars I have driven, it just needs a louder exhaust and stiffer springs, springs are a $500 upgrade with aftermarket pieces, exhaust another $2,000. Brakes are fine for the streets, for the track I would install Stoptech, but this is not a track car.

Yes, the GT-R is faster, but this M3 is way cheaper, better looking, and if I need brakes, BMW pays for them, not me. $0 maintenance for the next four years, including clutches, brakes, oil changes, everything but tires.

You're definately making valid points. W/ all the cash back on the thing and dealerships wanting them to go away...., might be a better deal.

But the low production numbers on the GT-R are very appealing as well. I don't know.....I hate to say this but I think for the daily stuff...

GT-R 1
C63 2
M3 3

it's a toughy. ....
Old 11-08-2008, 03:54 PM
CalgaryGT3
Advanced

Originally Posted by iLLM3
This makes no sense. A "bare bones" E92 drives exactly the same way as one loaded to the ****, and both of which are B O R I N G to drive!!! I don't get that "special" car feeling with the E92.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:13 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Like My stoppie said:
E46 yes. 100%.

E92 M3= fail. Sorry, but the E46's didn't sit on the lot's until the very end of it's life cycle. That car had a tremendous following and is a fantastic car.

The E92's? Uhhhmmm Nooo.

There are by FAR way less C63's sitting around. It's a much better car for the masses then the E92.
this is all true the M3s at my dealer sitting on the lot.
One M3 guy on my AMG board just decided after driving the AGM to trade in his brand new M3 take getting killed on the trade, GOT his AMG and is now ONE happy cat.
see poster taylorcoleman on MBworld.org

Quick Reply: Need advice: GTR now, or M3 now and GT3 later?