Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Need advice: GTR now, or M3 now and GT3 later?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:05 PM
ikos
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy;5963550The M3 has crappy brakes Look at the AMG brakes. .
For 1900+car, you have an AMG with 550 hp. Simply amazing.
Its more than 15K more AND you NEED to test drive the AMG C63.
its just a better car
Here is a Drivers republic video saying the M3 is better but (he owns an M3 if the AMG had better springs AND a LSD he would buy the AMG (I have the car he is talking about WITH LSD and NO PP springs
The AMG is what you are going to miss
[url
http://drivers-republic.com/dr_tv/[/url]

first of all the car they test in the drivers republic video has the LSD, so you are wrong. second, all three of the guys agree that the M3 is a superior car and third the M3 was 2.5sec faster at Silverstone.

if you are interested in straight line acceleration and a great exhaust sound then go with the C63. everything else the M3 is better!!

Im going with an M3 sedan and a next generation GT3 in the future.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:07 PM
joeTurbo
Intermediate

I have both a GT-R and GT3, and AMG e63.
I'd go with the GT-R. It is the anti-Porsche - rough, seemingly unsophisticated (almost feels American), and without pedigree - but it goes like stink, faster than my GT3 at the track, and never spins (like the GT3 wants to do at the slightest provocation). I have used it as a daily driver for the two months I have had it, and parked my E63 (it is boring and just gathering dust). The GT3 is great on a track, but on the street, driven at moderate pace, is just "another Porsche" ie. good car - not too exciting.
The GT-R is fully exploitable at every stoplight, every on-ramp or just passing on a two lane road - just to feel all that torque!
I also looked at an M3, and found it to be a very nice, civilized car - but lacking the thrill I wanted on a daily basis.
I have 5000 miles on the GT-R, including over 1000 miles on the track (7 sessions), and my only complaint is that it is too heavy for a pure track car - but that does not stop it from outrunning every other car I have compared it with, including my GT3 and my Z06.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:23 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Ikos cant you not read? I have the LSD without the PP springs. Chris says in the end of the video he says if he could get it WITHOUT the PP springs AND WITH the LSD he would get the AMG
They HAD the LSD AND the stiffer PP springs- go back and watch. You might want to take notes this time.

Also I have test driven the M3 4 or 5 times. I just couldnt get by the fact that the M3 has the same single pistion brakes that the Toyota RAV 4 has-its not track worthy.
I HAVE a 08 335i which is just as much fun as the M3 EVEN has MORE torque. I also have the X5 4.8is so I know BMW. I have also owned the 07 Z4M so I probably know BMW better than you. I also have had a 993 TT the 996 GT3 the 997 GT3 and tracked all of them.
Youre opinion is fine its just wrong in every way. I am more than qualified to make that decision on those cars since I have owned them
The C63 is alot like the black series and handles very well. Really the M3 is not even close.
And I trust

Good luck with your M3 its already out of date and you will be able to get it CHEAP at my dealer he has
5 that he has had since April. You will be able to get an M3 for alot less than invoice.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:48 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Joe every post you make in here is anti Porsche. You would probably get some more respect if you made a couple pro Porsche posts so we dont think your throwing your money away on your Porsches you never drive since the GT-R and the Z06 are so good.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:54 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

umh, just go and get an 08 GT3RS. what the hell you talkin bout waitin' for??

the gtr will be surpassed by the spec v, which, like most jap cars, will be outdated in 5 years anyhow... like the sony play station III at that time.....

the M3 rag is great for the wife, but if you loved the 993 turbo, then you need to get a porsche today, not wait any longer... you will be happy with a 08 911...

anything can happen in three years, dont wait.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:07 AM
raysmd
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

yea, but I can't find a new GT3 RS. There's supposed to be a new black one at a dealer somewhere. Any idea where it is?
Old 11-04-2008, 12:09 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joeTurbo
I have both a GT-R and GT3, and AMG e63.
I'd go with the GT-R. It is the anti-Porsche - rough, seemingly unsophisticated (almost feels American), and without pedigree - but it goes like stink, faster than my GT3 at the track, and never spins (like the GT3 wants to do at the slightest provocation). I have used it as a daily driver for the two months I have had it, and parked my E63 (it is boring and just gathering dust). The GT3 is great on a track, but on the street, driven at moderate pace, is just "another Porsche" ie. good car - not too exciting.
The GT-R is fully exploitable at every stoplight, every on-ramp or just passing on a two lane road - just to feel all that torque!
I also looked at an M3, and found it to be a very nice, civilized car - but lacking the thrill I wanted on a daily basis.
I have 5000 miles on the GT-R, including over 1000 miles on the track (7 sessions), and my only complaint is that it is too heavy for a pure track car - but that does not stop it from outrunning every other car I have compared it with, including my GT3 and my Z06.
yeah yeah Joe

fully exploitable at every stoplight and on-ramp, huh? so we know you're a reckless driver.

goes like stink and never spins. so now we know you don't know how to control your vehicle. shut off the nannies and tell us about it.

really. stay on the Nissan chat-lines, you fit right in.

oh, one more thing. what does "both" mean?
Old 11-04-2008, 12:10 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

there is a 08 wrapped in plastic GT3rs on ebay still new at the dealer..... plus, there are so many low mile examples out there i would be buying one of them if i was you....
Old 11-04-2008, 12:14 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

ebay Item number: 140279011440

it is a dealer, but not porsche dealer, and it might not be exactly the options you are looking for... but again, there are a few 08's around to get into the saddle.....
Old 11-04-2008, 12:19 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You noticed JoeTurbos posts too Allegretto? seems to be a carbon copy of all his other posts.
Just different cars and all anti Porsche:

Insert "what ever car he just got (Z06)(GT-R)(Cadillac CTS-V(nex))" is better than the GT3 or RS yada yada
Old 11-04-2008, 12:20 AM
raysmd
Instructor

thanks, I saw that one. not bad. however, looking for white first, then black. there was a low mileage black one that sold for 150k recently. I was a day too late. I can wait until I find the perfect one. Would probably like to spec one out just the way I want it. we'll see what they do with the new engine, though. maybe the 7gt3rs will be the last of a good breed (race proven dry sump motor).
Old 11-04-2008, 12:22 AM
raysmd
Instructor

yea, it's still a nissan. performance is killer though. the price is also amazing. I had the toughest decision to make. giving up the GTR for just an M3. BUT, looking forward to something else down the line.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:29 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by raysmd
done! it's the '09 M3 coupe for me. Just stopped by the BMW dealership to take a look at my car and it's perfect. white, black interior, black CF roof, DCT. I got $800 over invoice for a spec'd car. I thought the 0.9% financing was for 2008's.

anyway. This should hold me over until the 2010/11 RS debuts
CONGRATS, great choice!!!

BTW few tweaks with the M3's brakes will have it up to snuff, they aren't THAT BAD!
Old 11-04-2008, 09:33 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by OldGuy
You noticed JoeTurbos posts too Allegretto? seems to be a carbon copy of all his other posts.
Just different cars and all anti Porsche:

Insert "what ever car he just got (Z06)(GT-R)(Cadillac CTS-V(nex))" is better than the GT3 or RS yada yada
Actually I've never read his posts before. Just that when someone says 500 HP is "fully exploitable" at stoplights and on-ramps I just pray they don't drive in my neighborhood.

Rays, you're goin gto find it (M3) a great car if you don't drive in the snow. If you do, Blizzaks or similar shoes will be mandatory.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:46 PM
996FourEss
Instructor

A little late, but if you really want a daily driver with an absolutely amazing powertrain, why not by a low mileage RS4. Goes like stonk. Versus a new C63 and M3, Clarkson and the boys could not decide which one of the three came out on top after race track time plus real world time, and, given that they don't make it anymore and have released the new model of the A4, you can probably pick one up for somewhere in the 40s and miss the massive initial depreciation all of these cars have. Also, in my opinion, it looks incredible

Quick Reply: Need advice: GTR now, or M3 now and GT3 later?