Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

gt3 useage

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 11:30 AM
need a 993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gt3 useage

I was wondering how people make use of their gt3.

Aside from track use, do you use it only on weekends or as a dd?

How many miles are you putting on them?

The reason for the question is that I am considering putting a deposit with my local dealer for the upcoming 2010 gt3. I only get a chance to do 5-6 track days a year and don't want the car sitting around 360 days a year.

I've read reviews suggesting that the gt3 is now a civilized car that can be used on a daily or atleast regular basis on the road. But you guys would be the best to answer that question.
Thanks for your thoughts
Old 09-27-2008, 12:31 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

mostly everyone leaves their car at the dealer to get the various seal leaks repaired, then porsche tells them the leaks are their fault because they didnt drive it daily. inconvenient? yes, but hey at least you sorta own a P.

i suggest a search of this forum!!
Old 09-27-2008, 12:43 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

19 mo. ownership and 16k miles
A GREAT car to drive!!
Has seen the US on a road trip and will again
Has seen the track and autocross..

Why own one and not drive it

Last edited by MJones; 08-03-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:51 PM
need a 993
Instructor

[QUOTE=watt;5849119]mostly everyone leaves their car at the dealer to get the various seal leaks repaired, then porsche tells them the leaks are their fault because they didnt drive it daily. inconvenient? yes, but hey at least you sorta own a P.

Yes, RMS is leading to second thoughts. Hopefully, they will have figured it out for the new gt3
Old 09-27-2008, 01:19 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use mine as a DD and have not had any RMS issues. I broke it in properly, I always let it get to temp before getting on it. Publicly, I do not track the car; but if I did, I would still keep it within a reasonable driving range without totally driving the **** out of it (anything more serious and I would just get a Cup car). I regularly (OK, fairly regularly) take it on some wonderful backroads in my state; we have the type that allow you to see for 20 miles or more without seeing another car and you can scope out this area with binoculars before you let loose and drive the car to its top speed (which is about 75 mph, correct?). Then there are some nice twisty backroads and mountain roads which also allow you to see around most corners (these are the fast ones); and the ones that are blind, you just slow down and drive them at a safe speed so as not to endanger others.

I have owned regular 997 Carreras and also regular 996 Carreras; and I assure you that I get to "feel" what the 997 GT3 has to offer over these lesser 911's on a daily basis; there is no doubt about this. And I often get to push the car to a very comfortable 7 to 8/10's, and occasionally (which probably means a lot more than some track rats) to 9/10's and maybe even 10/10's in corners when it is absolutely safe to do so. The other drivers on the road are #1 priority at all times, but my little driving environment borders on a public track/street such as the Nurburgring in more places than I can count on both hands and feet.

I have never driven my 997 GT3's equal, and that includes the 997 turbo; which I rate at approximately the slop level of my base 987 Boxster without PASM in terms of steering, shifter, clutch, and basic suspension travel. The only difference is that my Boxster is better balanced and the turbo is a rocket ship. But neither of these cars come anywhere close to the hard edged, yet surgically precise feel of the 997 GT3. It has the power of a turbo (only spread out and smooth and continuous to a much higher rpm); but it is the suspension and brakes and steering and clutch and shifter which are hair trigger precise, yet require a little muscle and certainly some deliberate action to make things happen. But in a way that is nothing short of brilliant.

To make the 997 GT3 even better, I have but one recipe with just a dash of salt. This recipe is striping as much weight as you can bare in terms of comfort, extra noise, and asthestics if you take it to the extreme of stripping the interior. The salt is as simple as a good quality aftermarket exhaust system to release a little more of the savage contained within the GT3. A Sharkwerks or GMG center muffler delete is about perfect IMO. It reduces weight in the right place, it is relatively inexpensive, and it sounds OH SO GOOOOOD! Or you can do a full exhaust such as the AWE, Cargraphic, or Fahrnbacher Loles if you want a good quality one.

But bringing the weight of the car down at least another 200 lbs, if not 300 to 350 is the safest mod you can do to any car, and it will turn the 997 GT3 into something truely special that is difficult to describe with words.

But if you live in the right part of the country, you absolutely, positively can take advantage of what the GT3 has to offer over the lesser 911 variants. And as a DD, unless you have a disability or medical condition, then as an enthusiast, I cannot imagine a better car to drive. If you don't like your day job, adding a 997 GT3 to your stable should help cure some of those weekday blues.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:02 PM
WildBill
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine sits in the garage mostly. It has less than 1000 miles on it. I only take it out when I need a fix. No track time, mostly cruising to watch the sun set over the Pacific Ocean and mountain back roads. I personally would not want to drive it everyday, although you could. I prefer more comfort and practicality for everyday use. It would lose the appeal very quickly if I had to drive it everyday.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:14 PM
need a 993
Instructor

Originally Posted by 340Elise
I use mine as a DD and have not had any RMS issues. I broke it in properly, I always let it get to temp before getting on it. Publicly, I do not track the car; but if I did, I would still keep it within a reasonable driving range without totally driving the **** out of it (anything more serious and I would just get a Cup car). I regularly (OK, fairly regularly) take it on some wonderful backroads in my state; we have the type that allow you to see for 20 miles or more without seeing another car and you can scope out this area with binoculars before you let loose and drive the car to its top speed (which is about 75 mph, correct?). Then there are some nice twisty backroads and mountain roads which also allow you to see around most corners (these are the fast ones); and the ones that are blind, you just slow down and drive them at a safe speed so as not to endanger others.

I have owned regular 997 Carreras and also regular 996 Carreras; and I assure you that I get to "feel" what the 997 GT3 has to offer over these lesser 911's on a daily basis; there is no doubt about this. And I often get to push the car to a very comfortable 7 to 8/10's, and occasionally (which probably means a lot more than some track rats) to 9/10's and maybe even 10/10's in corners when it is absolutely safe to do so. The other drivers on the road are #1 priority at all times, but my little driving environment borders on a public track/street such as the Nurburgring in more places than I can count on both hands and feet.

I have never driven my 997 GT3's equal, and that includes the 997 turbo; which I rate at approximately the slop level of my base 987 Boxster without PASM in terms of steering, shifter, clutch, and basic suspension travel. The only difference is that my Boxster is better balanced and the turbo is a rocket ship. But neither of these cars come anywhere close to the hard edged, yet surgically precise feel of the 997 GT3. It has the power of a turbo (only spread out and smooth and continuous to a much higher rpm); but it is the suspension and brakes and steering and clutch and shifter which are hair trigger precise, yet require a little muscle and certainly some deliberate action to make things happen. But in a way that is nothing short of brilliant.

To make the 997 GT3 even better, I have but one recipe with just a dash of salt. This recipe is striping as much weight as you can bare in terms of comfort, extra noise, and asthestics if you take it to the extreme of stripping the interior. The salt is as simple as a good quality aftermarket exhaust system to release a little more of the savage contained within the GT3. A Sharkwerks or GMG center muffler delete is about perfect IMO. It reduces weight in the right place, it is relatively inexpensive, and it sounds OH SO GOOOOOD! Or you can do a full exhaust such as the AWE, Cargraphic, or Fahrnbacher Loles if you want a good quality one.

But bringing the weight of the car down at least another 200 lbs, if not 300 to 350 is the safest mod you can do to any car, and it will turn the 997 GT3 into something truely special that is difficult to describe with words.

But if you live in the right part of the country, you absolutely, positively can take advantage of what the GT3 has to offer over the lesser 911 variants. And as a DD, unless you have a disability or medical condition, then as an enthusiast, I cannot imagine a better car to drive. If you don't like your day job, adding a 997 GT3 to your stable should help cure some of those weekday blues.

THanks so much for the write-up. How bad would the clutch be in stop and go traffic?
Old 09-27-2008, 02:18 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by AK997TT
Mine sits in the garage mostly. It has less than 1000 miles on it. I only take it out when I need a fix. No track time, mostly cruising to watch the sun set over the Pacific Ocean and mountain back roads. I personally would not want to drive it everyday, although you could. I prefer more comfort and practicality for everyday use. It would lose the appeal very quickly if I had to drive it everyday.
Sounds almost exactly like my relationship with my lawn mower. I truely believe: to each his own; but I do not get it (how you use yours). Now if you are a collector and/or you bought your RS as an investment (good luck), then I could understand this.

Cruising and sunsets? I have a nice yacht for that if you are interested! But you did mention the back roads; so not all is lost.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:31 PM
WildBill
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 340Elise
Sounds almost exactly like my relationship with my lawn mower. I truely believe: to each his own; but I do not get it (how you use yours). Now if you are a collector and/or you bought your RS as an investment (good luck), then I could understand this.

Cruising and sunsets? I have a nice yacht for that if you are interested! But you did mention the back roads; so not all is lost.
I am a collector and plan to enjoy it as such with the occasional drive to scratch the itch and lube the gears. BTW, I lived in ABQ from 88-95 and agree that you have some great open highway. I really liked it there.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:54 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,288 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
19 mo. ownership and 16k miles
A GREAT car to drive!!
Has seen the US on a road trip and will again
Has seen the track and autocross..

Why own one and not drive it
Wow, wow, wow!

That red 3 looks great on those wheels. Period.

Love the desert pic, too...

pete
Old 09-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

26,000 miles, 4 front spoilers, 8 sets of rear tires, 5 sets of fronts and 7 oil changes in 21 months!! But I am one of the lucky ones who live in an area where I can drive the car the way is is suppose to be driven. it's 70 miles to the first stop light from my home and nothing but 2nd and 3rd gear with a few straights where you hit fourth. I agree with everything 340Elise has posted, with the exception of my lawnmower, I think I use it more then Ak997TT drives his RS. Oh, and for Watt, I have never had a drop of oil on my garage floor!! Guess I'm just lucky.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:01 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,288 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by excmag
Wow, wow, wow!

That red 3 looks great on those wheels. Period.

Love the desert pic, too...

pete
And, having done it, I see no reason not to drive a GT3 everyday, but then I am something of a nut. You merely have to live with a couple of compromises (mostly due to low ride height) over a Carrera~. The upsides (engine, trans, brakes, performance looks, etc.) would make it worth it for me.

GT2 is even better thank to superior ride quality, which should translate into the FL GT3.

pete
Old 09-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

I use mine mostly for fun weekend drives with occasional DEs. Can't say some days it doesn't seem like a waste not to drive it daily, but I have a bmw for comfort cruising. It's a great street car if you like a stiffer sporty ride and don't mind having to watch out for front spoiler driveway challenges.

In all reality though, a 997S would be perfectly fine too for this profile - I just like the additional top end when needed and by the time you put some nice options on a 997S you're close to Gt3 prices so...

YMMV
Old 09-27-2008, 03:13 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by need a 993
THanks so much for the write-up. How bad would the clutch be in stop and go traffic?
Any clutch can be a pain in stop and go. For the GT3 the pedal effort is greater, but you will get used to it; I guarantee it. Unless you have a disability, you should be fine. The first time you use the clutch you might think "oh $hit!" But you get used to it and you will build up the leg strength if you do not have it. And please don't think that you need to be able to squat 700 lbs when I say this. It is above average effort, but not that bad. Once you get used to it, the added effort actually helps you modulate the clutch more easily and take off smoothly. You will get into any other new Porsche and think "what a whimpy clutch; it has absolutely no feel to it; I think I am going to push this thing through the floor board.

Everything on the car takes a little more effort, but it is more precise and direct also. Buy it and drive it for a week and you will wonder why Porsche doesn't make all of their sports cars with this level of effort and feel.

As an analogy; have you ever driven a new BMW; especially the 3 series or Z4 or Z4 Coupe? The brakes are overboosted and artifical; they give you this sense of superior braking ability (to those who do not know any bettery anyway). But really they are exactly that - overboosted and have no modulation. They are boarderline on or off. This is not good, and all Porshe brakes that I have driven (newer cars anyway) have wonderful brakes with great feel and plenty of modulation. Well, in the GT3 it has these characteristics with all of the controls. However, the steering is fast, precise and sensitive. If you are a sloppy shifter who lets his left hand move along with the right when shifting, then you may think the GT3 is too sensitive and a bit hard to keep steady. But this is an area where you want the sensitivity and you will get used to it and learn to me more delicate with your inputs and take advantage of the surgically precise steering.

I hope that helps. Whatever you do, don't let anyone tell you this car is for track use only and is wasted on the street. That may be true if you live in LA and never leave the city limits. But if you have some nice back roads in your area, then you can definetely take advantage of what the GT3 has to offer. But for the full meal deal, you will need to take it to the track. But that is true for any Porsche IMO. A new 385 hp C2S with the new sport suspension and PCCB's is going to be an incredible machine, as is a Cayman S. You can enjoy them on the streets, and in some areas much more than others. But to go full tilt and truely be safe, then you do need a track. But that wonderful steering of the GT3 can be felt everyday even if it is just a quick on-ramp loop or a backroad twisty that you know like the back of your hand.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:26 PM
340Elise
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris C.
I use mine mostly for fun weekend drives with occasional DEs. Can't say some days it doesn't seem like a waste not to drive it daily, but I have a bmw for comfort cruising. It's a great street car if you like a stiffer sporty ride and don't mind having to watch out for front spoiler driveway challenges.

In all reality though, a 997S would be perfectly fine too for this profile - I just like the additional top end when needed and by the time you put some nice options on a 997S you're close to Gt3 prices so...

YMMV
So very true. What is the base of the new C2S now - $86K I believe???

That is $20K off of our MKI GT3's. Our true dry sump motor is worth that difference alone. And if you try to turn a CS2S into a GT3, then with just the body kit, sport exhaust, upgraded sport suspension you have just spent another $10K easy and are still missing the brakes, motor, GT3 suspension, shifter, clutch, and just the entire GT3 package that makes it the work of art that it is. And if you take a 2008, then you need to add the $13 or $14K X51 package which still does not give you the power or the dry sump motor and now you have surpassed the price of the 3.

Spend the extra $20K on a base GT3 over a base C2S; it is worth every penny.

Quick Reply: gt3 useage