Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OT:Help son got busted for 102mph

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 09:45 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Above all, get a lawyer who is known to the court. In my experience this is a Godsend. Also, avoid all contact with the authorities from you or your son. It can only work against you. Get the very best you can find.
I have done this on occasion and it makes a big difference.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:49 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
Above all, get a lawyer who is known to the court. In my experience this is a Godsend. Also, avoid all contact with the authorities from you or your son. It can only work against you. Get the very best you can find.
I have done this on occasion and it makes a big difference.
+ 100
Old 04-26-2008, 10:45 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
Above all, get a lawyer who is known to the court. I
The above is the best advise, hear is how it works. Your son has to show up on the hearing date and Plea not guilty, there after it will be set over for a trial date. It is best to hire a lawyer that does allot of traffic court someone who works there on a daily basis, Ask a lawyer buddy to give you a name or two, if you have no one to ask, call the Court ask the clerk to give you a few names of the lawyers who practice frequently before the court they will give you a few names. He will go in and try to enter a plea, generally courts will be willing to take the fine money vs the points because money is what makes the world go round.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:52 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Moot has arleady sent me the info I need. Apparrently there are 2 violations over 100. One is arrestable the other isnt. He got the lesser. He also wrote him up for being out after curfew. I Sent him up to Mammoth to find a job and find out about the CC up there the JC for next year.
Problem was opening day for fishing so the most cops were out I have ever seen. I went up today and
saw 12 cops on the way up. Previous record for me was 6. On the way back I saw 9.
Thanks for the help.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:11 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I thought over a 100 was a big deal but he got 22348(b) which is one point
so we will see. I am going to take the advise here and get a lawyer.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:00 AM
flash1034
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by supercup
The issue is not the 30 mph + it is the 100 mph +. He is unlikely to get traffic school and no other penalty. I would get him a lawyer and get prepared for some bad news. 100 + mph tickets are generally $1,200 +, he may loose his license for a short time as well. The target should be to get it reduced to a lower speed.

The officer has video of the entire incident in his car, the question is can you get a copy, if you can it will likely be in his favor. Regardless the officer's word and even without radar is going to carry the day. But all CHP cars have radar now so I would suspect he was using it.

Tell your son next time (he is 18 and there will be a next time) to ask the CHP officer to show him the read out. That won't make them happy, but it will give you the facts. I have done that 2 times, each time the reaction was why? The response is because you are required to show me if I request to see it. 1 time it was exactly what he said and I thanked him. The other time the read out was 10 mph lower than he had stated. He insisted it was higher in the prior reading, when in court the judge threw out the ticket when the officer made his claim of the prior lower reading after he agreed with my story that it read lower than on the ticket.

Regardless a 100 + mph ticket should not be taken lightly, especially for an 18 year old, where a judge is likely to look to teach him a lesson.

Good luck,

JCM
FYI, In CA at least, Officers are not required to you show the radar or lidar readout, even if asked/demanded. Also, as another poster pointed out, in CA officers can testify as experts, if they have had certain training on the visual estimation of speed.

Flash
Old 04-27-2008, 01:03 AM
flash1034
Pro

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Moot has arleady sent me the info I need. Apparrently there are 2 violations over 100. One is arrestable the other isnt. He got the lesser. He also wrote him up for being out after curfew. I Sent him up to Mammoth to find a job and find out about the CC up there the JC for next year.
Problem was opening day for fishing so the most cops were out I have ever seen. I went up today and
saw 12 cops on the way up. Previous record for me was 6. On the way back I saw 9.
Thanks for the help.

If he is 18, there is no curfew. So, either the officer was wrong or was lied to by the kid (unlikely) or the kid is actually 17 or younger and the original poster fudged the number.

Flash
Old 04-27-2008, 01:07 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

[QUOTE=flash1034;5354481]FYI, In CA at least, Officers are not required to you show the radar or lidar readout, even if asked/demanded.

I am not a lawyer and don't know what the code may be. But this is contrary to what I have been told at traffic school(s) and by several CHP and local police officers. My experience is they are willing to show it required or not. Might as well see it to know for sure.

JCM
Old 04-27-2008, 01:25 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Flash he turns 18 on monday
Old 04-27-2008, 01:25 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope it all works out for you and your son. Either way he owes you many a mowed yard and washed cars.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:36 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yea Roberga I got him starting tomorrow 3 cars washed and the yard. I got a lawyer. The first offense for this is to be not over $500 and max supsended license for 30 days
the curfew doenst even have a fine so I think we will get off light. He has no other tickets and with the lawyer I should get this reduced abit. He got the Job at the Grocery and the college is within walking distance as is the Grocer in mammoth so he can pay his own insurance now and he will learn the hard way. He can take the bus or ride a bike for a month , if he gets suspeded so
I am not going to lose anymore sleep over it.
thanks guys!!!
Old 04-27-2008, 01:42 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

22348(b)

it is my believe that this violation is TWO points. i know b/c i had such tix.
however, that was MANY years ago. you should ck carefully.

i didn't care much about my first two pointer, i paid dearly later on.
the fact is that he WILL get caught speeding again.
you only get 3 pts in 12 months.
so if he gets another, his license will be gone for 12 months.
no car in CA, well, you might was just lock yourself up for good.

i do whatever it takes to get it to dismissed or to ONE point.
it's not just insurance issue (two points = 7 years on record), it's he will get ticketed again and eventually get licensed pulled. so get rid of as many points as you can.

as a 18 year old, he will not slow down unless he's got tiny *****.
i sure didn't slow down until i was way over 30!
Old 04-27-2008, 01:43 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
Unless he's allowed to do a traffic school.
no, it's > 100mph, no school.

only a judge and rule in special cases to allow school for such speed, but no judge is going to do that especially for 18 years old.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:56 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

i am not a lawyer.
i know all the RL are here to help.
some say "plead" withe judge, some say "have officer show the readout", some say "show up, the cop doesn't show then you win".... but i have been to court more times than i care to remember. 99% of the time, the judge is hostile to YOU, but not hostile if you have a council. the attitude change is night and day.

also, the council doesn't "plead", or say "he's just 10mph over", or do things we think we should do...

they come with legal methods and one of which is to subpeona (sp) the training record, academy records, officer's complaints, the issueing date and last calibration date of the radar if used, the actual radar used, radar training of the officer, if pace: the last calibration report for the cruiser's speedometer, if officer visually estimated your speed: his last training of visual speed determination.... this is JUST THE BEGINNING. the stuff subpenaed was enough to fill up the trunk of a 997 4x.

then there are various other tactics, geography, topography reports, i mean, it goes on.

he changed court dates for this and that reason...

it's not simple, each of my tix took over 1 year to process, some involving appeals ... i cannot disclose them all. but i have to say while EXPENSIVE, he did work hard for the money. and watching a real council at work in court is quite educational and entertaining and you would think 'ticket assassin" is really just a bad joke.

incidentally, i got pulled over AGAIN at the same general area after the council subpenaed all sorts of stuff from one officers..... upon pulling over, the officer asked me for my license and all....

he goes "aha, mr. xxxx, so it was you.... i remember your name well, b/c i was the one who pulled all the doc that your council subpenaed for my captain"

at that point, i quickly shut up and just did what he told...
Old 04-27-2008, 05:55 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Mooty, me thinks you have waaay too much experience in these matters. Ease up on the loud pedal there a bit, man.

Quick Reply: OT:Help son got busted for 102mph