Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OT:Help son got busted for 102mph

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 02:31 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Nick I am not using just any lawyer but a well know LA criminal defense guy.
I assumed that was the case. Sometimes the best of lawyers cannot overcome bad facts. Also, there is a point when the game is not worth the candle.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:32 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,643 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Sounds like your lawyer is pulling out all the stops. However, if the officer appears for the hearing I doubt these technicalities will lead to a dismissal. Hopefully, your attorney can strike a deal with the DA for a lower speed and traffic school. If this case goes to trial, odds are your going to lose and the legal/court/fine cost prohibitive.

Comment about your son impression of speed. As you know driving at high speed in a Porsche GT3 is easy to do and without knowledge as to how fast you are really going.
you are right to certain extent.
officers almost always show up now days.
technicalities only work 50% of the time, depending on judge.
but i am sure the council will work with DA before hand to see what's what.
though that may not always work either. i have a case where the ADA agreed to dismissal IN WRITING. upon presentation of that to the judge in court, the judge thrown it out (i didn't understand the reason, or the term the judge used). after much negotation in recess, a 2 pointer was reduced to a moving violation that carried no point (yes there's such a thing, i dont know how my council pulled that one out).

as with all cases, we cannot expect to win 100%, but if we can reduce the damage, that will make me happy.

and yeah, the cost sometimes is scary.
so i learned the hard way. i simply no longer speed excessively. i still do 5-10 over, but nothing crazy anymore.

good luck paul.
may the force be with you
Old 04-30-2008, 02:54 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I would assume since counsel specializes in speeding that they wouldnt miss much.
Also this is in Inyo county so I dont even know if the officer was full time.
Also If I dont fix this my son probably wont be able to get insurance.
OR my insurance would go up more that the cost to litigate.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I would assume since counsel specializes in speeding that they wouldnt miss much.
Also this is in Inyo county so I dont even know if the officer was full time.
Also If I dont fix this my son probably wont be able to get insurance.
OR my insurance would go up more that the cost to litigate.

Clearly your a caring and supportive father. A couple of items to consider.

First if the offence allows traffic school, that will eliminate the ticket and the insurance company cannot penalize your son for the infraction. If you try the case and lose, the ticket/charge may not qualify for traffic school.

Additionally, unless your lawyer has a great deal of cases Inyo county, he/she may find himself at a disadvantage with not only the local judge but the local DA. I am sure you can see the problem i.e.high profile attorney from LA coming into Inyo county to represent a young kid driving a GT3 at high speed.

Do your homework.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:16 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Nick I guess it was my fault, if I had sent him in his 96 dodge pickup then maybe he doesnt get stopped.
He WASNT driving a GT3, he has NEVER even sat in the drivers seats of any of my Porsches
he was driving our BMW X5 SUV
If he was driving my GT3 I would put me in jail for thinking it.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Believe Nick's point was more around the optics of arriving at the Inyo county courthouse in your GT3...with a high priced LA lawyer accompanying.

Unlikely to be viewed sympathetically by the locals...
Old 04-30-2008, 08:22 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Bill
Ryan wasnt driving the GT3- he has never sat in the drivers seat of a 911. We will go as a family in pressed Wranglers and Ropers. We will go in our truck, no Porsche will cross the Kern Inyo County Line.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Understood - best of luck!

Would a gun rack help? oh crap..been in Houston too long.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:58 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I grew up in Dallas. Gun rack in every garage and 4 Dairy QUeens on every corner.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:16 AM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drh
I dunno, you tell me since you called me and another "gullible"

At any rate, that was a lovely dissertation coming from a gent with 3.5 years of practical parenting experience.

Of course what would I know...I've only been a parent for 30-years and a gramps for about 4.
When Mooty wrote that he screams at his 3.5 year old daughter so loud that the neighbors hear him because she dropped a morsel of food, did you really think he was serious? You went off on a long lecture for him instead of seeing that he was probably exaggerating just a wee bit. That is what I immediately thought, and it did not even cross my mind that he was serious about that comment.

So maybe you should lighten up and not see the worst in people right away and consider that there may be some humor involved when it is pretty darn obvious.

If I am wrong and Mooty was serious then I not only apologize to you but I am also shocked.

Don't you and your followers feel just a little bit silly in actually taking his comment serious?

I have done lots of silly air-headed things during my time and can admit it no problem whatsoever and can laugh at myself. In fact, I would rather laugh at myself than someone else. But if you really believed that he screams so loud at his daughter for a dropped morsel of food (unless of course she did it intentionally to test Daddy's limits) that the neighbors come running over, then gullible is appropriate and you might want to think next time before going off on someone who made a joke; especially such a swell guy as Mooty.

And yes, yes, yes; I know that child abuse is not a joke, but what he said was not that bad. Oh wait, he did mention bailing his kids out and then beating the **** out of them. Shame on you Mooty! OK, he has been lectured; all is well again.

Oh, and btw; 30 years of child rearing by someone who does not have a lick of common sense is not better than 3.5 years by someone who was born to raise kids. And if you have to read a book on how to raise a child (it does not come naturally), then surgery might be a good idea. I'm not saying this about you or anyone else on here; I'm only making this as a general comment and something that I feel strongly about. I just want to make it clear that just because you have been doing something for a long time does not mean you are necessarily good at it.

I know many parents who have been driving for over 20 years when it comes time to teach their children to drive. They never learned how to drive properly, and all they have been doing for 20 years is perfecting their bad driving habits. And now they pass their honed driving skills onto the next generation to continue the ****ty driving bloodline. Did you know that about 99% of Americans think they are good drivers? I'm not making this up either. I actually did a study on this for a technical writing class in college. That percentage did not surprise me one bit, except that I thought it would be 100%. Out of 204 surveys, exactly one male and one female admitted that they are not good drivers. I bet they were in the top 10% in ability simply because they recognized this fact.

Oh, and btw, I too can be gullible, and I'm OK with that. I've also said some really dumb things because I was not thinking; and sometimes even though I was thinking.

OK, now I am babbling as usual; I gotta go home and feed my cats; time for me to drive my GT3 home at insanely high speeds. I love my high performance car friendly state. 102...........ha, ha, ha, ha, ha; what a girly speed!

Quick Reply: OT:Help son got busted for 102mph