Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The GT-R truth getting abit more true

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 09:22 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

The other thing wrong with this picture is I didnt go in the Nissan and corvette forums and post how great the GT3 is. This IS the GT3 forum
I dont need to ask why Porsche isnt getting more power I dont care I think the car is fine as it is.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

OG That's because you are secure in your manhood
Old 04-11-2008, 10:49 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Bob I dont need my Porsche for that. 25 years of marriage and 2 grown boys secured that for me.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:27 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The generosity of women never ceases to amaze me!
Old 04-12-2008, 12:00 AM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nobody from the Nissan forums started this thread -- or did they?

Technology moves on. Porsche for years has metered how much technology they release with each new model, usually just enough to get "Mr. latest & greatest" to buy the newest model. Weidking sits in his office and laughs at us "if only zey knew vhat ve could really built for 100k of zheir American dollar..." Nissan has simply come along and taken advantage of Porsche's complacency and greed. Get over it! I've driven the GT-R, and on any given Sunday you're gonna get embarrassed.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:45 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Wink ...

Originally Posted by MetalSolid
...Nissan has simply come along and taken advantage of Porsche's complacency and greed. Get over it! I've driven the GT-R, and on any given Sunday you're gonna get embarrassed.
Next Saturday is ALMS in Long Beach...
This Sunday is MotoGP...

Mannn, really... get over it. If I were the owner of a 997 GT3, I would care nothing about another car.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:04 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I dont care. I just dont understand the hype. Now as the secrets are coming out turns out the GT-r is turning out to be a $70K and not a $140K car killer.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:19 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will never own a "fun" car with the motor in front of my feet. I can not say that I will never own a mid-engine. If anything I see myself in a 964 race car. Might not be as fast as the Datsun but I do not care.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:36 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I dont care. I just dont understand the hype. Now as the secrets are coming out turns out the GT-r is turning out to be a $70K and not a $140K car killer.
Finally there is a sport car that offers everyday usability plus supercar performance that can match or exceed the current 911 turbo, which has dominated this "king" status for many many years, this is what the hype is about. No Ferrari, Lambo, Corvette, Audi, BMW or Mercedes has succeeded to produce a daily use supercar that is as good as a 911 turbo, but now Nissan is able to do it at 60% of the price.

Try to look at this from a non-Porsche owner perspective, you will easily understand the hype. As a Porsche owner, I don't feel too bad as the GT-R's target has always been the Porsche 997TT, but not any other sport car out there. We are still the STANDARD that other car companies want to match or beat.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:04 AM
FooFighterGT3
Intermediate

The GTR is a great car. Fast as hell on the street and track, especially for a car with an MSRP ~ 70K. Can it sustain those fast lap times (brake fade etc) with all that weight? I'm pretty sure it can't even with all it's technology.

That being said, I still prefer P-cars. There's something almost magical about the feeling of a rear wheel rear engine car. The size, weight, AWD, paddle shifter, aesthetics just don't do it for me.

The GTR is the current media darling. It's the first of it's line to make it to the US. It's new and formidable. The Gran Turismo generation (people in their 20's and 30's) have been waiting for this car for some time.

When all is said and done there's enough room for all of these cars (the GTR is the latest more cars will follow). There's enough room for Ginger and Mary Anne, busty blondes and athletic brunettes, football and futbol etc.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:34 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by OldGuy
The other thing wrong with this picture is I didnt go in the Nissan and corvette forums and post how great the GT3 is. This IS the GT3 forum.
OG, this may be the GT3 forum, but this particular thread was started as a GT-R bashing discussion. Or at least a GT-R hype-bashing discussion. Either way, how can it be unacceptable for someone to post a perfectly respectful and reasonable counter opinion just because they're from another forum?

Also, as you seem to so totally distrust what you read in the motoring press, why have you selected to believe just one article from R&T as opposed to so many other articles from other mags? Why is it hype if the article has the GT-R beating the TT, but a secret otherwise?

These are your words:

We're all car lovers here. I, for one, enjoy all frank, respectful, reasonable opinions from other car lovers without feeling the need to forum-profile them.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:50 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I have to say that my Evo (This is my second one) nearly convinced me to sell my 997S (And it still might). There is a tremendous capability in this car that the Porsche's inherent limitations can't match. It refuses to understeer and generates cornering speeds that seem unreal.

So after a couple of months, I took my 911 for a spin and put her through the paces and realized I would miss the stance, the steering feedback, and the growl of the motor.

I still may sell it and buy a GTR but I think I will forfeit a lot of that mechanical magic in favor of bludgeoning performance.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:42 AM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by MrBonus
So after a couple of months, I took my 911 for a spin and put her through the paces and realized I would miss the stance, the steering feedback, and the growl of the motor.
Exactly. There is an x-factor in the 911 that makes it unique and very special to drive. There may be other cars that can beat its numbers, but none, yet, that can beat it as an overall package. The Ferrari F430 is the only true competition to the GT3, IMO.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:25 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
Exactly. There is an x-factor in the 911 that makes it unique and very special to drive. There may be other cars that can beat its numbers, but none, yet, that can beat it as an overall package. The Ferrari F430 is the only true competition to the GT3, IMO.
The Japanese have become masters of building tremendously fast, compliant cars that don't necessarily engage the driver nor do they provide any tangible connection between what many of us have grown to expect a homologated sports car to sound, feel, and drive like.

I don't mean to diminish my X because it's a fantastic car but it sounds like a blender and I have an array of heads-up displays that tell me slip angles, differential torque redistribution that makes me feel like I'm driving something on the cutting edge of technology (Which it is) but it's a very, very different way of going fast and when I'm just cruising along, I do miss that burble of the 911's exhaust and the way it rocks the car gentle at idle. That said, blasting along at speeds I do not recommend on back roads is so effortless in the X that it makes the 911 feel old fashioned, for better or for worse, and would contend that 99% of the drivers on this forum would be able to achieve greater cornering speeds on similar rubber in the X as they would in their GT3s or Carrera Ss.

I guess my point is that regardless of what you like, it's a tremendous time to be an enthusiast.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:07 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MJSpeed,

I'm pretty well read when it comes to racing. I stand by my comment.

Quick Reply: The GT-R truth getting abit more true