Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 is faster than the RS

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 02:27 PM
RS 197
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
i see, so you have something special, but 997gt3rs owners do not.
thanks for putting things in perspective, and for the spiritual chill pill!
It is what it is, has nothing to do with me.... Just stating the facts as I see them.

I always look forward to your comments. You are a pro at bringing out the negative in every post. Refreshing.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:46 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Jeff
it was altzhiemers -Its the same guy I just realized I probably should not indentify him unless he wants to. he posted the deal on Rennlist so if one was Archival he could find out whom it was.
So its not that big O deal!!
Since I took Old Guy I have notice my cycling brethren have become older -so yes its probably not
as applicable a handle now as it once was- But I dont wanna change it now after 4 years!
Old 06-27-2007, 02:50 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RS 197
It is what it is, has nothing to do with me.... Just stating the facts as I see them.
always look forward to your comments. You are a pro at bringing out the negative in every post. Refreshing.
yes, i know what you mean.
your post was very positive and uplifting.
almost spiritual in fact!
so sorry for my shortcomings.

btw would you pmail me your wifes tel. no.?
in need of some comm. real estate advice.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:10 PM
RS 197
Pro

yes, i know what you mean.
your post was very positive and uplifting.
almost spiritual in fact!
so sorry for my shortcomings.

btw would you pmail me your wifes tel. no.?
in need of some comm. real estate advice.
Apology accepted. Call me if you need advise, I learned everything I know from her. I would love to get a chance to talk to the ICON...

Here is my # 503-910-7991 call me. It is amazing how your perception of a person can change when you expand out of the On-Line world. Looking forward to it.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:52 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys are so worked up now... what will you say when the next-gen RS is wet sump and manual is an extra-cost option?
Old 06-27-2007, 03:59 PM
tocho1
Instructor

My RS VIn # just came in, car will be in the US in a few weeks now

Guess I will have to trade it for a faster "regular" GT3...........

Right
Old 06-27-2007, 04:14 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcar964
you guys are so worked up now... what will you say when the next-gen RS is wet sump and manual is an extra-cost option?
Manual won't even be an option here in US. We will have to get the Tip!
Old 06-27-2007, 04:16 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 608 Posts

The RS is very special. Porsche put big stickers on it so we could be sure.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:26 PM
GlennMc
Racer

Originally Posted by mitch236
As far as Walter Rohrl's times at the ring, they may be clouded by the fact that Porsche needs the RS to be faster. I'm not bashing anything here as I would have definately paid the premium for the RS if I could have gotten one. As it is, I was lucky to get the 3. However, there are a number of 3's at my track and an RS (driven by a very good driver) and the raw performance of the two cars seem to be very close. If you think about what the RS is supposed to imply, I think it is a disappointment but to say the 3 is the better car is just sour grapes. I think the only people that have 3's and claim the car is better than the RS are trying to justify owning the 3.

The best post on this thread so far....

My take is this:

The actual performance of these cars in a race drivers hands would be near on identical.

In the hands of track enthusiasts such as myself, it will be pretty much the same also, however, i DO feel that the wider rear and the Larger wing of the RS gives a bit more it a bit more stability when driving 10/10ths....this 'may' give the RS driver more confidence to push on over a regular GT3.

Yes, i have driven both on track too.....

Yes, Porsche have done very well to make us punters pay so much of a premium over a regular GT3 for an RS.....but most who could afford it, have done so without a second thought, as they must have that Mystical 'RS' on the ***.....you can't put a price on passion.....

Lets just get on and enjoy these fantastic cars ....
Old 06-27-2007, 04:39 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,887 Likes on 2,408 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyC
Amazing why you guys are so paranoid about messing up an RS but not a GT3? They're both just cars and meant to be driven. Why do people feel feel it's ok to drive, track and beat up a 3 but not the RS? Just 'cause one cost $15k more than othe other?

Sure I love my RS but I love to drive it too...all the time...both street and track. Isn't that the reason why we wanted one? And chips, wear & tear, depreciation and risk of wadding it on track or getting rear ended by an SUV on the street are all part of the ownership/driving experience. Enjoy the friggin car...life's too short not to!
since this thread is so ENERGETIC, let me play devil.. not just his advocate.
beat up on RS vs beat up on lesser cars (not necessarily GT3, but something lesser, let it be 6gt3, cayman, whatever...)

one type of trackers, many on RL (i am not one of them) are so wealthy that beating a 140k car and selling it for 80k two years down the road is not a prob. if one's in those position, all the power to you and enjoy the RS.

another type of tracker who tracks less than 10 day a year. with all due respect, they would not and should not be pushing the car too much (unless somehow they got schumy or senna's genes mixed in). in these cases, the car wont see much wear tear. and chips would be min.

then there are fk up's like myself, who has some $ but certainly not wealthy, but tracks 30-40 days a year (and i drive 2x sessions so that's close to 5k a year). i chew through clear bra in 6 months (no matter what brand). on the lotus, i chew through the bra in 2 month. although far from being fast, i do track a lot and the wear and tear on the car is amazing. 1/2 of the paint is gone on some of my track cars. now for ppl like me, pehaps it's not so wise to beat up on a 140k car. maybe a 50k is okay???

i dont know, just some random rambling to add to the general confusion of this thread.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:02 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
since this thread is so ENERGETIC, let me play devil.. not just his advocate.
beat up on RS vs beat up on lesser cars (not necessarily GT3, but something lesser, let it be 6gt3,..)

Let the flamming begin!!!
Old 06-27-2007, 05:11 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Let the flamming begin!!!
hahaha, now i am dead.
let me get my foot out of my mouth for a second here.
when i say lesser car, i mean in monetary terms, as in less expensive, so as to hurt the bank acct less, not as in "lesser of a car".
Old 06-27-2007, 05:13 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would love to get a chance to talk to the ICON...
Looking forward to it.
the ole ball & chain said you returned my call.
sorry you didnt get a chance to talk to "the ICON".
please don't post my tel. no.!

Manual won't even be an option here in US. We will have to get the Tip!
they're changing the name of tip to sportronic and it will be the optional "sport package" transmission.
standard will be fully automatic w/ no gear selection.

Originally Posted by mooty
then there are fk up's like myself, who has some $ but certainly not wealthy, but tracks 30-40 days a year (and i drive 2x sessions so that's close to 5k a year). i chew through clear bra in 6 months (no matter what brand). although far from being fast, i do track a lot and the wear and tear on the car is amazing. 1/2 of the paint is gone on some of my track cars. now for ppl like me, pehaps it's not so wise to beat up on a 140k car. maybe a 50k is okay???
so to summarize you are, fk'd up, poor, slow, unwise, and you like to boast about it!?
what happened to the "top three" student?
Old 06-27-2007, 05:26 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

the ole ball & chain said you returned my call.
sorry you didnt get a chance to talk to "the ICON".
please don't post my tel. no.!

they're changing the name of tip to sportronic and it will be the optional "sport package" transmission.
standard will be fully automatic w/ no gear selection.

so to summarize you are, fk'd up, poor, slow, unwise, and you like to boast about it!?
what happened to the "top three" student?
ah... sure, fk'd up, poor, slow and all, but i dont recall saying i am "unwise"
Old 06-27-2007, 09:21 PM
340Elise
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All you guy's that have one, great. Don't take all the jabs so personal, but don't pretend that you have something that is that special. You want special. Go out and buy a 73 RS, 964 RS or 993 RS now that is special.
To me, special is how the car makes me feel when I drive it; the pleasure I derive from driving it. My 2005 Elise with a Forcedfed Race 340 kit and a list of mods 2 pages long is considered very special in my book; there is not another car like it in the world. With a power to weight ratio of 5.5 lbs/hp and all the other parts to put that power to the ground make it like nothing else I have ever driven. However, my bone stock Exige S is also very special as will be my '08 GT3. As all depends on each individuals definition of special.

Quick Reply: GT3 is faster than the RS