GT3 is faster than the RS

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 07:34 PM
magwheel
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jack
LOL -- you win!
Thanks friend! It's nice to be able to 'bust each other's ***' and to still laugh about it with no hurt feelings! Mags
Old 06-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by magwheel
Thanks friend! It's nice to be able to 'bust each other's ***' and to still laugh about it with no hurt feelings! Mags

I agree -- some people really take themselves waaaay to seriously.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:42 PM
GG06Si
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this thread serious? I would get the RS for its rarity more than anything
Old 06-26-2007, 08:43 PM
grussell
Pro

Originally Posted by GG06Si
Is this thread serious? I would get the RS for its rarity more than anything

No, just a bunch of bored guys with nothing better to do.....
Old 06-26-2007, 09:21 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Keep in mind this is a US GT3 vs US GT3 RS. In Europe, the GT3 RS comes standard with lightweight racing seats, plastic instead of glass rear window and a standard absence of A/C. In the US, we don't get the lightweight seats or rear glass and the A/C delete is an option. Yes, some of the body parts like the lid and spoiler are lighter being carbon, but also keep in mind the the RS is a widebody which is heavier than the narrow body. So bascially, this evens it out. The RS uses the same coilovers, sway bars, brakes, wheels and tires as the regular GT3. Also has anyone else noticed that the base curb weights between the GT3 and the RS is 44 lbs (20 kg), but this is for the GT3 with A/C and the RS without. Porsche has plainly stated that the lack of A/C save exactly 44 lbs (20 kg). Hmm...not much of a difference for the dollars. If fact, it would be rediculous to have an RS unless it had the A/C delete and PCCB brakes as options. After all, the whole intent is for lighter weight.

One other thing is for top speed and acceleration, aerodynamic forces increase at a cubed rate. As a fact, weight has nothing to do with top speed. Instead top speed is determined by hp versus coefficient of friction times frontal area. There is a factor here since the RS is built as a wide body and has a greater frontal area. Since the GT3 and RS both have the same coefficient of drag, but the RS has a bigger frontal area; it is physically impossible (by the laws of physics) for an RS to accelerate at high speed at the same rate as the regular GT3.

I have to agree that the $17K is a lot to pay for some graphics, colored wheels, wheel spacers and split control arms, but I don't belive bringing the RS to the US was done for performance. It was really done for marketing and profits. Look what has happened to the majority of the RS's that have come into the country: they have either ended up in collector hands or by resellers looking to make a quick buck, not in the hands of anyone capable of using the cars to there true potential. It doesn't really matter in the end if there is a perfomance improvement with the RS or not, only that a few BELIEVE there is to justify the extra money. Porsche is in the business of selling cars after all. Porsche has certainly accomplished this. The regular GT3's on the other hand, do see to be getting more into the right hands. I recently did a track weekend where I got to run with 4 of them.

I hope the next generation RS will be more in the true spirit of the RS cars of the 70's: at least a couple hundred lbs lighter and include more race oriented bits from the RSR, somthing more deserving the higher exclusivity and price.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:20 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

No this is not a serious thread.

I cant believe there is so much misinformation here
From 2 people I trust
BC said
No wonder the RS are selling for a premium and the GT3 is not. The RS besides being the better looking car is perhaps the best streetable 911 ever made
Quite crontriare!! (no I am not Candian!!) BC I dont know where YOU live but where I live regular GT3s were all going for 10k+ over sticker and one dealer in NoCal was asking $25K over so regular GT3s are selling for premium at least in Cailfornia.

Then Jack comes up with this one:
For ~$15k more than a GT3, why not get the RS -- it's a no-brainer
Now Jack I know youre a car God but for us mere financial mortals-we were not able to get RS's at MSRP nor anywhere NEAR $15K more than a regular GT3.
What you said would be TRUE as a no brainer if the money factor was correct. But if a mere mortal started looking for RS (and I include a rather large Nashvillle real estate developer whos a friend of mine and denied a car after being promised one) then the price difference was more like $50k-$70K.
So then for us regular people the regular GT3 was a no brainer.
To me the RS is not worth what was available to me.
( I would snap one up in a HEART beat IF I could have bought one at $145)
For example my GT3 was $130 and RPM is asking $180 for both RS's he has on the lot and dealers were doing the same

And Mr Magwheel after lusting after your garage pictures over the last year here and 6 Speed I aint even going to touch your post!!

P.S. Jack if you can point me to a stripper RS for $123K I would appreciate it!!
Old 06-26-2007, 10:25 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

02 Carrera, best post yet. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:42 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

02 Carrera
when you say laws of Physics were you talking about quantum physics or Newtonian physics?
Because the theory of specific relativity (only applies to rotating masses around PCCB brakes- as opposed to general relativity) comes into play when you talk about whom can get an RS at MSRP-The further you get away from MSRP the faster your money burns at the speed of light. And since most of us couldnt get one at MSRP that means the regular laws of physics dont apply -which means that if you actually bought a RS at $200K-- Then Your RS would actually be FASTER than a regular GT3 (based on color) in your mind.(its all relative)
Geesh you dont have to be an Einstein to figure that out!
Old 06-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OldGuy

From 2 people I trust
BC said

Quite crontriare!! (no I am not Candian!!) BC I dont know where YOU live but where I live regular GT3s were all going for 10k+ over sticker and one dealer in NoCal was asking $25K over so regular GT3s are selling for premium at least in Cailfornia.

Then Jack comes up with this one:

Now Jack I know youre a car God but for us mere financial mortals-we were not able to get RS's at MSRP nor anywhere NEAR $15K more than a regular GT3.
What you said would be TRUE as a no brainer if the money factor was correct. But if a mere mortal started looking for RS (and I include a rather large Nashvillle real estate developer whos a friend of mine and denied a car after being promised one) then the price difference was more like $50k-$70K.
So then for us regular people the regular GT3 was a no brainer.
To me the RS is not worth what was available to me.
( I would snap one up in a HEART beat IF I could have bought one at $145)
For example my GT3 was $130 and RPM is asking $180 for both RS's he has on the lot and dealers were doing the same

And Mr Magwheel after lusting after your garage pictures over the last year here and 6 Speed I aint even going to touch your post!!

P.S. Jack if you can point me to a stripper RS for $123K I would appreciate it!!
Doc,

I would never pay a premium for an RS, GT3 or an F-car, for that matter. MSRP is the price for which I got my RS ordered to my specs. And, if I was ordering a GT3 it would not be a stripper either -- life is too short for strippers.

If people don't like the RS, my advice is -- don't buy one.

At least you're candid in your remarks -- for most, the decision was not theirs. They couldn't get the RS (except at some outrageous premium) -- I'd go for the GT3 too under those circumstances. But, it wouldn't have been my first choice.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:47 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jack
my point exactly -I would have loved an RS at MSRP- but have not the clout of the 299 most fiscally powerful people in North America
Old 06-26-2007, 10:48 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jack
my point exactly -I would have loved an RS at MSRP- but have not the clout of the 299 most fiscally powerful people in North America
You've got clout in my book!
Old 06-26-2007, 10:52 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jack
I am but a simple engineer- I can't even spell clout!
6 years of college for a 4 year degree and only one English class!
(I am proud of that!)
I am however- a fellow Socaler!!
Old 06-26-2007, 11:01 PM
TripleM
Racer

Price differential is too much in my country, else would love to get an RS
Old 06-26-2007, 11:07 PM
donquixote30
Intermediate

02 Carrera,

Thanks for your thoughtful and well-said input.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:23 PM
magwheel
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From 2 people I trust
BC said

Whoa.... And to think I was going to change my name to Rodney because I felt 'I didn't get any respect!' Magwheel

Quick Reply: GT3 is faster than the RS