Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What did you do to your GT car today!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 06:39 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 608 Posts

Used the Motive power bleeder and flushed the whole system… works pretty well and almost too easy!

The following users liked this post:
balucipher (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 12:18 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

@Wonderdan - This is on my to-do list with a motive as well. How much fluid did you end up using? And did you flush the Clutch master cylinder as well? I have 1 Liter on the shelf, but was thinking I should pick up a second to be generous with the flush.
Old 01-23-2023, 12:44 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Clifton
@Wonderdan - This is on my to-do list with a motive as well. How much fluid did you end up using? And did you flush the Clutch master cylinder as well? I have 1 Liter on the shelf, but was thinking I should pick up a second to be generous with the flush.
I did buy extra because I just refurbished the calipers so they were empty and knew it would take a bit more. I was also generous and waited until no mini bubbles or any black specs came out and ended going through 2.2 quarts or so, imo one can never 'over flush' given the cost. I emptied the reservoir of "old" with the turkey baster before starting with new but I did not do anything more. I bought this little master cylinder bench bleeder kit... figure maybe I'll do that next time but didnt seem needed.

Last edited by Wonderdan; 01-23-2023 at 12:51 PM.
Clifton (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 01:52 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Hi Dan,

Looks like you are running steel rotors. Which are those? I too run steel in the PCCB calipers. They work wonders, although they do squeal occasionally. I've been noticing it more recently. Maybe because I haven't thrashed on the car for a while. It's been wet here in Nor Cal until recently. Time for an Italian tune up!! Hope all is well.

Chris

Originally Posted by Wonderdan
I did buy extra because I just refurbished the calipers so they were empty and knew it would take a bit more. I was also generous and waited until no mini bubbles or any black specs came out and ended going through 2.2 quarts or so, imo one can never 'over flush' given the cost. I emptied the reservoir of "old" with the turkey baster before starting with new but I did not do anything more. I bought this little master cylinder bench bleeder kit... figure maybe I'll do that next time but didnt seem needed.
Old 01-23-2023, 04:17 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by christallon
Hi Dan,

Looks like you are running steel rotors. Which are those? I too run steel in the PCCB calipers. They work wonders, although they do squeal occasionally. I've been noticing it more recently. Maybe because I haven't thrashed on the car for a while. It's been wet here in Nor Cal until recently. Time for an Italian tune up!! Hope all is well.

Chris
wrightwood hats w/AP racing solid disks and pagid RS14 pads... I have the same issue truthfully if I didn't want to 'hear' my brakes I'd just put the ceramic disks+pads back on. I used to think of it as a really inconvenient swap... but now that I know my calipers/disk/hub inside and out I think I could do it in under an hour.
Old 01-23-2023, 06:38 PM
FrenchieDadRS
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

installed SW track exhaust. Car sounds like a proper monster now.
The following 3 users liked this post by FrenchieDadRS:
Elliotw44 (01-23-2023), jreifler (01-23-2023), Wonderdan (01-24-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 08:44 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by FrenchieDadSF
installed SW track exhaust. Car sounds like a proper monster now.
Sweet. Get your ear plugs ready. You'll need them in 6 months, but you won't be mad about it.

I did a few stages of paint correction over the weekend with some upgraded polishers and products I haven't used before.

Old 01-23-2023, 09:04 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jreifler
Sweet. Get your ear plugs ready. You'll need them in 6 months, but you won't be mad about it.

I did a few stages of paint correction over the weekend with some upgraded polishers and products I haven't used before.
you know paint is the one thing i havnt attempted myself... i'm scared to screw it up, no matter how many how-tos there are. I dont have a test car to learn on...
Old 01-23-2023, 09:30 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 492 Posts

you know paint is the one thing i havnt attempted myself... i'm scared to screw it up, no matter how many how-tos there are. I dont have a test car to learn on...
Honestly, it's made out to be more daunting than it is. As with anything, good technique comes with practice, and there's more art than science to it, but you shouldn't shy away. Do you have anything less precious to you to experiment on?

With modern polishers and consumer-grade pads and compounds, you'd have to do something pretty egregious to really mess up your finish. Most of my expletive-inducers have been caused by not controlling the machine carefully enough and having a metal or plastic bit nick something.
Old 01-23-2023, 09:32 PM
fayraree
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 85 Posts

- Numeric Shifter w/the extra weights
Hey Dan, could you elaborate on this? Were you referring to the “Heavy *****” weights as “extra weights”?

Btw love all the love you showed your brakes. Will have to follow each step you did when it comes to replacing my steelies with CCB
Old 01-24-2023, 01:29 AM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Honestly, it's made out to be more daunting than it is. As with anything, good technique comes with practice, and there's more art than science to it, but you shouldn't shy away. Do you have anything less precious to you to experiment on?

With modern polishers and consumer-grade pads and compounds, you'd have to do something pretty egregious to really mess up your finish. Most of my expletive-inducers have been caused by not controlling the machine carefully enough and having a metal or plastic bit nick something.
My 5.0 is a brand new paint job but I can try on my g.g. grandpas 34’

It’s just a commitment… only reason I haven't is because when I was 14 I cut the paint so bad with turtle wax there is primer showing all over and knowing how much I screwed it up I’m generally annoyed and I promised I wasn’t going to cut it anymore in my lifetime lol.

actually maybe I just figured out my deep down fear of paint correction…

Originally Posted by fayraree
Hey Dan, could you elaborate on this? Were you referring to the “Heavy *****” weights as “extra weights”?

Btw love all the love you showed your brakes. Will have to follow each step you did when it comes to replacing my steelies with CCB
yea I have 3/4 of the heavy **** bits in the handle

Last edited by Wonderdan; 01-24-2023 at 01:34 AM.
jreifler (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 02:26 AM
fayraree
Rennlist Member

yea I have 3/4 of the heavy **** bits in the handle
What happened to the 4th piece?
Old 01-24-2023, 09:39 AM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fayraree
What happened to the 4th piece?
You know I don’t remember exactly why… but there is probably some OCD Goldilocks and the three bears thing I did where I landed on 3.
fayraree (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 02:45 PM
fayraree
Rennlist Member

You know I don’t remember exactly why… but there is probably some OCD Goldilocks and the three bears thing I did where I landed on 3.
I would expect nothing less!
Old 01-24-2023, 11:20 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 169 Posts

Practice on a cheap rental car. Seriously… the paint is usually ****ed on them, you can learn a lot in 1 afternoon with minimal risk of “screwing it up”. jreifler’s right, modern paint correction tools are so forgiving that it’d take ages to really screw up the paint on most panels (burn through paint, etc.).
The following 4 users liked this post by Body In White:
balucipher (01-25-2023), jreifler (01-25-2023), sjenn930 (03-20-2023), Wonderdan (01-26-2023)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GT car today!