Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What did you do to your GT car today!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 01:59 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,047 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by christallon
Nice!!! Love that it's being driven. Is there any other option to swapping out that scuffed door sill, other than buying a new piece? I have been considering replacing mine as well, currently 50K miles on the car. Can you provide the part number by chance, and what was the cost? TIA. Your car looks great!!!
I read thru that thread link that Bxstr posted in post 196, and deep down in there some guys had success with a Magic Eraser. I'm going to give that a shot for the very few minor scuffs that I have
Old 07-12-2022, 04:46 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 198 Posts

@bergx7 @christallon @bweSteve

I have had many a success with Magic eraser on the sill trims on lots different P-Cars (and have used on others too) Both of my carts suffer from my size 12's and tight parking spaces.

The trick is to go slow and use lots of lubricant ( I use Meguiars Quick Detailer) and buy the name brand ones - not the cheapo copy ones. I am in Australia (so cant give you where to purchase details sorry) but any good cleaning store or maybe even Home Depot would carry them.

A few pics of my sills:

Old 07-12-2022, 09:36 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Thanks Fullboost. Great tip on using a lubricant!!
I already own a box of the original Magic Erasers and have experience using them all over our home. They are unbelievable for removing & keeping moss from growing back on the north side of our home siding.

I'll use my Griots Quick Detailer w/ Ceramic, since that stuff has high lubricity.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:25 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Steve, I've got a lot of experience with ceramics and polymers and I wouldn't use it as a lubricant to sand (magic erase) due to the fact that it lays down a coat that adheres to the surface. You could end up with splotchy sills. If you've ever applied a ceramic coating, you know it's tricky stuff. done wrong and you out there with your machine taking it back off and it takes a machine to get it off. Just use regular detail spray. Griots Best of Show in the gallon jogs is the best deal out there for some of the best stuff you can get. It's my current favorite stuff for the price.

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-12-2022, 11:39 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

have you tried the Griots Speed Shine w/ Ceramic? ... yea, I too have been applying 9H hardness ceramics for 8 yrs now (on boats, trailers, cars & more). The Speed Shine w/ ceramic is not a full-on ceramic like we are use to it bonding to the surface. It's an additive to the speed shine quick detailer & is more a hydrophobic then anything else. It doesn't last long, so I'm not worried about trying it.

EDIT: Curiosity got the better of me, so I just went out to work on it. I had forgotten that I had already done some work on it, prior to achieving 299 points out of 300 in the National Concours with the car,... so it already looked good. But I figured to give it a go anyway.

The Magic Eraser (ME) part of the effort is really just a blending of the scuffed part, to its surrounding pristine area. Go very easy / gentle with it. Lubed two spots, one with each of the regular Speed Shine, and the 2nd with the Speed Shine w/ ceramic additive. Results were the same. But you will see a bit of black come off onto your ME pad, so be gentle & don't over do it.

Overall it dulls the surface as a whole,... so again, you are really just blending the scuffed area with the non-scuffed area, dulling the entire area as a result.
So I swirled the ME w/ lube along the entire surface to gain uniformity. It worked well. But the biggest part of the equation is how you treat the area for its final dried coating. I used the same product I've been using for 10 yrs, Maguire's Ultimate Black Trim Restorer. This time, for a more satin final sheen, I applied it, gave it one minute to start congealing, then gently swirl wiped with clean micro fiber. I did that final-swirl-wipe buffing several more times (15 seconds or so between each gentle buffing), before I felt it had hardened & created a consistent sheen.

Looks even better than it did for Concours (albeit I did still receive a .1 deduction for it, cuz it could still be seen, and the judges know to look there. I do, and I'm a PCA National Judge now too)

Next up, I am going to use this process on the plastic in my frunk. Previous owner scuffed one of the plastic panels with some luggage. I'll see how it works on that harder plastic too.

EDIT #2: .... Thought I would also add that once the final result has dried for a week or so,... I usually pull out my black painters tape, and put some over that area. It's really nice NOT having to think about it every time I get in & out. And when it comes time to pull that painters tape off, it doesn't even pull any of the hardened trim restorer product back off. In fact I had just pulled the tape off last month in prep for the National PCA Parade Concours.... and the painters tape had been on there since last fall. Looked exactly like I had left it last summer.

Last edited by bweSteve; 07-12-2022 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-12-2022, 01:03 PM
bergx7
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 59 Posts

So, funny story, I actually brought my 4.0 liter hot rod to 2017 Werks Reunion at Amelia. The car presents very well but has the usual small paint chips on lower sill behind the wheels, the scuffed door seals, etc. from years of love and proper use. All my money went into the engineering and build (engine, suspension, etc.) as my version of the ultimate dual purpose street/track GT3. I figured the Werks Reunion would be the perfect place to show it given they say the following:

"This is not a contest of who has removed dust from the deepest crevices in their Porsche but rather a judged show that rewards a Porsche that has been lovingly maintained and presents itself well on the field"

Fast forward to the event and the guy did a quick look around the car before immediately focusing on the scuffed door sill, writing a few notes to himself and then walking off to the next car. I could only laugh. So fair warning if you attend that event and aren't a concours type of guy, I am not sure they really get it...

I guess i am finally now replacing these door sills so the next judge can "check the box" on these minor aesthetic details and focus on something else. Or maybe I skip the car shows and go for a drive instead

Last edited by bergx7; 07-12-2022 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-12-2022, 01:09 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Clearly that judge didn't get it. I took 3rd place (out of 22 cars) in the 993 / 964 class at Amelia Island Werks Reunion, with my '91 964 Turbo, back in 2017. It was funny for me to read all the signage that guys had sent in prior to the event. Most of them wrote Stats / Specs on the car,... whereas my wife & I wrote about how we've owned it since college, our now grown kids had grown up eating in the back seats on adventure drives,... & generally we added 40k miles to its current 80,00 miles by using & loving the car.

When Manny was presenting the awards, he was sure to point out the STORIES behind the cars that won.

.... maybe it's changed since 2017,... or you just got a bum judge.
The following users liked this post:
bergx7 (07-12-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 01:41 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Stev, I totally forgot who I'm writing to. lol. Would you be kind enough to post up a pic of the final result.

On another note, I have a 1985 Yamaha RZ350 in showroom condition with 5,400 original miles on it. Store inside a living room for 25 years. Rubber changed out every year. I put it in a 2 stroke bike show it got best daily rider and some chrome monstrosity got the best of show. We are talking about 2 stroke cafe racers. Who puts chrome on them? I cease to participate in these any longer as the judges are sometimes clueless.

machschnell_RS (07-13-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 02:01 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

wow that bike is goooorgeous,... not to mention a BEAST. I raced MotoX for 10 yrs in my 20's, and two strokes ping my soul. I live just down the street from Travis Pastrana (& used to coach his cousin in youth ice hockey,.. & my son played college ice hockey with another from his family). There's a lot of 2-stroke love in our area.

re: pics ... dang it, I'm not so good at before & after pics, so I never shot a pic of the sill years ago when I first started tending to it. I'll uncover the car again & grab a current pic later today.

Bergx7 & RAudi, yea, I get it on the judges thing. I try not to dwell on the anomalies, otherwise I would just get all spun up & stop participating. But it's usually those shows, or C&C, where I meet some of the best people & create friendships, so I try to focus on that. I only started judging at national level just this year (prior 10 yrs was all local). I run a couple 1st gen Camaro's too (both drag strip & bring it to shows. Camaro Nationals is in Morgantown PA this coming weekend).

Just trying to have fun!

Oh,... and since this is a "What did you do to your GT today" ..... besides the sill restoration,... I also put my registration stickers on my plates today (paying state dues is soooo much fun )

Last edited by bweSteve; 07-12-2022 at 02:04 PM.
bergx7 (07-12-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 03:41 PM
Hoyt
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by christallon
^^^^^^
Oh wow, Im getting ready to go back to my PASM setup the end of this month, and have the original PASM box shown above. What does the DSC box do for you over the stock setup. Im intrigued...
Originally Posted by TuonoR
Also interested in your take on the DSC controller for the 997. I have one in my 991.2 RS and its a bit more subtle than I expected (but still probably worth the cost of entry).
Originally Posted by JG 996T
Like to hear a dsc review on your 997.2
was transformative on my 997.1 turbo.
I've only driven around 50 miles with it, but for me the DSC system make a difference on the way my GT3 handles everyday roads here in SE Michigan. My GT3's was rough but tolerable while driving around in the bumpy and pot hole filled roads where I live, but after installing the DSC the suspension just seems to handle the crappy roads with much more control and ease. You can really tell how the shocks are working more efficiently and I guess "smarter" over the rough stuff. I wouldn't be able to hit the track this season due to various reasons so I can't give you any info on this area. So far I'd recommend it if you want your PASM suspension to work just a little better all around for a decent cost.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:51 PM
Elliotw44
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 414 Posts

I may get some flack for the following. But very happy with the upgrade.
Took my car to musicarNW in PDX. Upgraded all the stock speakers in the front cabin along with a better amp and sound tuning. You cant even tell when you look at the interior as it all fits behind stock speak grills and the amp is in factory location(under passenger seat). It's also completely reversible as well. Made a huge difference in sound quality and volume with about 650 continuous watts on the system.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:57 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LμL
I may get some flack for the following. But very happy with the upgrade.
Took my car to musicarNW in PDX. Upgraded all the stock speakers in the front cabin along with a better amp and sound tuning. You cant even tell when you look at the interior as it all fits behind stock speak grills and the amp is in factory location(under passenger seat). It's also completely reversible as well. Made a huge difference in sound quality and volume with about 650 continuous watts on the system.

What amp did they use. Mosconi? Audison?
Old 07-13-2022, 01:23 PM
Elliotw44
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
What amp did they use. Mosconi? Audison?
HLX UP10DSP
Old 07-13-2022, 04:34 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by LμL
How much did the whole shooting match cost if you don't mind me asking? I do love music in my 911's at certain times. We do a lot of business with Focal, and they wanted to help me out with my cars but just never did it. I think the speakers would have been near free, and I'd pay for labor and an amp.

But what I do is listen to music on my Ipod Touch, and use an equalization app called EQU. It's unbelievable what you can do to improve crap speakers with an EQ. I can add an EQ point anywhere at will and simply drag to different frequencies and increase or decrease at will. The only issue is the app takes over playing the music, so you no longer have control on your PCM. I simply put it on shuffle.

Another topic I want to point out is for people that have carbon door sills. My guy put Expel on mine so they are protected.
Old 07-13-2022, 06:59 PM
bergx7
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 59 Posts

I would love to have better sound (and iphone connection) in my 997.1 if I could do it without a big weight penalty and keep it 100% reversible. Those 3.5 hour drives to western NC mountain roads are admittedly much more fun in my 991.2 with Bose. The 997 is currently a combo of walkie talkie chat with the Porsche convoy and listening to random country radio stations haha.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your GT car today!