Sponsored by:

PDK problems require full replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 05:32 PM
Ira Zoot
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
Not common and seems to be random rather than use factors creating a failure. Several members of this forum have had them replaced. IIRC one member has had two replaced.
Should be the final update here. Got the call ... the car will be ready end of day. They offered to have someone drive it out to me and swap out the 718 but it's been so long since I drove it that I decided to drive the 40 miles and pick it up so I can get the drive time home. So as of right now given my experience ... if you plan to use dealer service in the Chicago area I would recommend Napleton. They took good care of me and after my experience at the dealership I bought the car at I really appreciate their professionalism.

Thanks for participating in the thread.

Ira
Old 09-19-2017, 10:35 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-997
Do you know if this is a common problem across PDK of 997.2? I am not aware of any issues on PDK until I saw this thread.
I think the fact that no one is repairing them, knows how to repair them or is taking the time to learn how to repair them is a good indication that the failure rate is pretty dang low My buddies on the inside say they are bullet proof, but there will obviously be random failures with anything mechanical. Someone having 2 failures in same car may perhaps something else contributing to the failures. I have seen cars throughout the years go through mechanical parts at an alarming rate until they found out what was causing the part failure. No one bothered to look closely until 3 or 4th failure.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:16 AM
STEVEW3765
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread was like a movie. A movie I could relate to. I am so glad you found a remedy. I should be getting my 09 c2s back from the dealer also. Thank goodness I am covered under warranty else I would be in the same boat on a separate issue. How is your car now?
Old 12-13-2019, 02:40 PM
bschulte
5th Gear

I have been following this thread, and wanted to post my recent experience. My 2009 Carrera S with PDK just had a transmission failure at 97,000 miles. (would not recognize or go into reverse gear). Porsche Carlsbad inspected the car and recommended trying the throttle body replacement at $3,700 first, and if that did not work they would replace the transmission for $33,000. I took the car to 2 indy shops that said the throttle body was not the problem and that they could rebuild the transmission for between $15k - $18k. (Found a 3rd place in Canada, that said they were familiar with the problem and could fix it for $12K Canadian). I sold the car to a dealer after 4 months of ownership and with a $15k loss. When I researched the pdk online, I found overwhelmingly that it was reported to be "bullet-proof". The dealer that bought my car with the known issue is a Porsche enthusiast and said the 09 - 11 PDK's have this problem and Porsche will only authorize Field Replacement Units and not any repairs.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:13 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

[QUOTE=bschulte;16288250. (Found a 3rd place in Canada, that said they were familiar with the problem and could fix it for $12K Canadian). I sold the car to a dealer after 4 months of ownership and with a $15k loss. When I researched the pdk online, I found overwhelmingly that it was reported to be "bullet-proof". The dealer that bought my car with the known issue is a Porsche enthusiast and said the 09 - 11 PDK's have this problem and Porsche will only authorize Field Replacement Units and not any repairs.[/QUOTE]

Same is true about Canadian prices for an engine rebuild after ims failure. $12000 Canadian for a complete rebuild using Nikasil on cylinder walls. That is like $9000US.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:03 PM
izoot
Cruisin'

Default Pdk

Well ... as I mention sometime ago I ended up having Napleton Porsche replace the PDK. Their service manager at the time had good relations with PNA and the end cost with a few other small things done was just about $8.5k. Oddly the day the parts came in that strike started and they gave me a new Cayenne that they let me use the almost 2 months the strike continued. When I picked up the car it drove great and I had it til last May when I picked up a Macan Turbo while I decided what the next 911 would be. More practical in winter here. But in the end having to jump through hoops and totally replace the PDK ... almost have to limit out $20k I was taught some hard lessons. Mostly don’t try to save by not extending warranty and ask questions about what the largest possible repair could cost. This PDK issue would have been undwr a $1k repair for a valve on lost other cars. It never even occurred to me how high it could go or that there was a policy of mandatory total replacement and unless your dealer actually cares your going to pay through the nose for it. End of story...still love the Porsche ... the Macan is nice. But it doesn’t make me not want to get another 911 tho not much of a surprise

hope things work out.

ira
Old 10-12-2020, 09:20 PM
jeffrbco
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Ira Zoot
Z3mcoupe ... seriously. If this policy was made clear when I bought the car I never would
have bought it. I would have just gotten another older manual 911 or not gotten another
one at all and gone for some other brand. There is no shortage of great cars in the price
range.

It's not like I didn't know repairs can be costly and had a problem with it. But this isn't a matter
of just "paying more" for a repair. This is being forced to put out almost $20k on a car that may
be valued at just over double that. It's insane .... and even master mechs I've spoken with at 2
of the 4-5 largest Porsche dealers about this and both said I'd be crazy to spend that on the car.
They've both directed me to refurbs or other options like some have suggested in the thread.

I'm not looking for anything free ... but it sure would be nice if Porsche care about their customers
as much as their customers cared for their cars. But then I guess if I owned a $300k GT2 or a $1m
918 maybe they would. After all, I just own a lowly 2010 911S what respect am I due?

Trolls like extanker crack me up. I'd bet big that if the tables were turned and they were dealing with this they'd be much less trollish.
Don’t mind Extanker, another dumbass bully that got nothing good to say

Quick Reply: PDK problems require full replacement