Sponsored by:

new clutches x 2, what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 02:33 PM
nellborg
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Default new clutches x 2, what?

I'm looking at buying a 997.2 or 991.1. Just learning about these cars and I've got a solid month of online reading under my belt as of now. And, I'm not a car guy, either, so when I do purchase something, I'll do as much research on that particular car as I can.

Here's my question: A 997.2 that I'm looking at has 40,000 miles. The clutch, flywheel, and flexplate were replaced at 2,000 miles and the clutch alone was replaced at 12,000 miles. Nothing other than routine maintenance on Carfax since then. What's going on with this car? Something to worry about long term?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 10-12-2020, 03:21 PM
ahyiah
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

clutch was replaced at 2000 miles.. and then again at 12000 miles? thats a bit crazy tbh, was the car driven that hard by the previous owner?
Old 10-12-2020, 03:32 PM
nellborg
Rennlist Member

I have no idea how it was driven and I doubt that that info is known to the dealer at this point. This raises a big red flag to me, but since that was 30k miles ago, maybe there were some cars that went out with bad clutches from the factory and had warranty work or something like that....
Old 10-12-2020, 03:45 PM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

Even a clutch rider who has to back up into parking spaces on hills daily couldn't wear one out in 2k. That sounds like a defect unless he had a lightweight flywheel installed. Then 10K later they swap the clutch again so maybe he was driving it hard? All that said, nothing more in the last 30K. Either its fine or the first driver drove the crap out of it and now the current owner wants to sell because something more expensive is looming. Hard to know. PPI for sure.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:00 PM
ahyiah
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

i would be super cautious. i dunno the details of the listing or how much risk you're willing to take, but from personal experience, fixing a porsche is not a cheap affair. unless the deal is really good, or the car is setup with options/colors that are super hard to find for whatever reason, i'd put a hold on it and look for a different option. just my 2 cents though.
Old 10-12-2020, 04:34 PM
nellborg
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to scratch this one off my list.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:05 AM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by BucketList
....Either its fine or the first driver drove the crap out of it and now the current owner wants to sell because something more expensive is looming. Hard to know. PPI for sure.
PPI is something I should have done before purchasing my car, a few hundred bucks and probably gives you both peace of mind and leverage to negotiate another grand or two off the price if you can identify maintenance that needs to be done immediately or in the near future. DME readout on over revs could give you insight into how hard the car was driven. Mine had the clutch redone at ~35k miles and the previous older was an older gentleman who probably was a clutch rider. DME report was clean so it wasn’t a matter of the car being driven hard (or too hard). FWIW.

Quick Reply: new clutches x 2, what?