Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK problems require full replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 07:15 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

I don't think Porsche makes the PDK. I think ZF makes it for them and perhaps that's why it can't be serviced. I did lots of research before I got my 09 and cases like this are why I went manual. Having a PDK car and no warranty is way to iffy for me.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:52 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S
I don't think Porsche makes the PDK. I think ZF makes it for them and perhaps that's why it can't be serviced......
Well, I think you may be right. I pulled the service manual which goes into checking the ATF, changing the ATF, rocker switch, TCU, lockshaft seal, and cover, plus removing and installing the entire PDK, but nowhere do I find any instructions regarding opening it up!

Take a look at this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...failure-2.html

Last edited by mchrono; 07-08-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:09 PM
Ira Zoot
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by extanker
ssssoooo you have a used po out of warranty ,that you did not buy from this po dealer.......and lemme guess never had it serviced there but you want them to step up .....wow ....did you try the used car lot you bought it from or hey maybe the previous owner .....they might step up
Huh? What are you talking about? It had a warranty when I bought and it since lapsed. It was too costly for me to spend like 4k at the time and I didn't get the extended ... which is something I will do now.

I'm not asking for anything for free .... I'm hoping that Porsche does the right thing for a multiple car buyer and allows the PDK to be opened ... inspected and have what the issue is repaired for a fair price. Is that asking too much?

I'm also stating that a full replacement at $16.5k without anyway of determining if it can be fixed for a fraction of that is a bull**** policy and unfair. Not everyone has $20k +- to toss about without any concern apparently like you do since you don't see an an issue. Maybe one day I'll be as lucky as you to be so wealthy I can mindlessly spend this kind of money without questioning it.

Oh and I've serviced it at the certified Porsche dealer I bought the certified car from. Why would I contact the previous owner? If you have nothing productive to say and need to troll at least show some creativity and intelligence.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:17 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

https://europeanexchange.com/car-tra...?brand=Porsche
Old 07-08-2017, 08:21 PM
Ira Zoot
Advanced

Z3mcoupe ... seriously. If this policy was made clear when I bought the car I never would
have bought it. I would have just gotten another older manual 911 or not gotten another
one at all and gone for some other brand. There is no shortage of great cars in the price
range.

It's not like I didn't know repairs can be costly and had a problem with it. But this isn't a matter
of just "paying more" for a repair. This is being forced to put out almost $20k on a car that may
be valued at just over double that. It's insane .... and even master mechs I've spoken with at 2
of the 4-5 largest Porsche dealers about this and both said I'd be crazy to spend that on the car.
They've both directed me to refurbs or other options like some have suggested in the thread.

I'm not looking for anything free ... but it sure would be nice if Porsche care about their customers
as much as their customers cared for their cars. But then I guess if I owned a $300k GT2 or a $1m
918 maybe they would. After all, I just own a lowly 2010 911S what respect am I due?

Trolls like extanker crack me up. I'd bet big that if the tables were turned and they were dealing with this they'd be much less trollish.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:23 PM
Ira Zoot
Advanced

Originally Posted by andy92782
when was the last time the battery was replaced? as Wayne mentioned, the car is sensitive to battery voltage. there have been posts on this forum about PDK warnings and hysterical behavior that went away after a new battery was installed.
New OEM battery last year mid season .... and no issues this year prior to this when checked out.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:25 PM
Ira Zoot
Advanced

Mchrono ... bingo. As mentioned before. If this policy was known prior and they didn't talk up the PDK as "bulletproof" I would have just gotten a manual trans or a totally different brand.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:35 PM
Ira Zoot
Advanced

Originally Posted by DC911S
I don't think Porsche makes the PDK. I think ZF makes it for them and perhaps that's why it can't be serviced. I did lots of research before I got my 09 and cases like this are why I went manual. Having a PDK car and no warranty is way to iffy for me.

As mentioned before if was made aware of this prior I would have went manual.
As to not getting the extended when the original warranty ran out. I'm a self employed small business owner and there are times when spending $3-4k on a warranty instead of paying your mortgage just isn't the smart thing to do.

I knew it could come back and bite me in the *** before I could get the new policy. I was prepared to pay up for repairs. But $16.5k for a replacement that can't be diagnosed nor fixed for a fair rate is a problem for me.

If the trans couldn't be serviced as most can then it's an important enough piece of information that it should be made crystal clear to the buyer. Which it wasn't.

Anyhow .... just going to play it out and hope I can get this taken care of at a reasonable cost ... no I don't know what that is. Btw ... I didn't start the thread to whine and cry about this. I figured I couldn't be the only person to experience this ... expensive lesson learned.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:37 PM
Ira Zoot
Advanced

Thank you ... I'll give them a call Monday and see if they can offer any suggestions. Have a good weekend
Old 07-08-2017, 08:38 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,152 Likes on 731 Posts

Battery plates warp and short. Non reversible reactions drop sediment that piles up. I never assume any battery is good.

Multiple codes represent confusion. Confusion represents electrical disruption. I'd replace the battery. That's me ... full of hope for the easiest fix.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:09 PM
Ira Zoot
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Battery plates warp and short. Non reversible reactions drop sediment that piles up. I never assume any battery is good.

Multiple codes represent confusion. Confusion represents electrical disruption. I'd replace the battery. That's me ... full of hope for the easiest fix.
I agree ... most of the time I try not to assume anything being human **** happens at time

The car is back at the dealership and is going to undergo another round of diagnostics ( at my expense again extanker ) and hopefully we'll figure out a less costly way to resolve this. I'd be about as happy as can be if it's just requiring a new battery.

Have a good weekend.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:11 PM
Ira Zoot
Advanced

Btw ... thank you everyone who has replied to the thread. I really appreciate it ... well, most of the posts

Hope that however this gets resolved it's of some use to another party having as much fun as I am.

Have a good weekend,

Zoot
Old 07-08-2017, 11:26 PM
hot nikon
Racer

Ira, this is a lousy situation, hopefully Wayne is right, could be a bad battery. Known good batt, run the diagnostics. If dealer says it's DOA, I would still have an indie wrench plug his laptop into it, just to make sure. Dealerships, I trust not. They better be cool with it, he's not tearing anything apart, just making sure…

Also, don't let the P store stroke you on this diagnostic work, shouldn't be hours and hours.

Check the repair place in NJ, your core does have value.

42k on the clock and transmission failure, that is poor, at best. Doesn't really matter who the manufacturer was, Porsche used it.

Ira, these are sports cars, Porsche is really good at charging crazy money for little bits of carbon graphite, $8k for PCCBs(how many sets of Pagid brakes can you buy w $8k?), these are not "sensible shoes", don't expect bargain anything.

This is a way for Porsche to maximize repair profits, only after I bought my C2S did I become aware of the tight fist with which Porsche controlled PDK repair.

You are looking at a $12k+ (or more) repair bill on a car that was worth maybe $55k. I'd be furious also.

And hey, you shouldn't have to explain your normal use more than once. This isn't a track rat that you have dogged, 42k and failure s@%&s.

Another reason I'll muddle along with my 6MT (you knew I was going to say it).

Good Luck, let us know what they say on Monday, and hopefully this doesn't turn into a 30 page/3 month long saga about PDKs.

I look at Mustang GT 350s with lust, sometimes...

Last edited by hot nikon; 07-09-2017 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:28 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

I hope they do something for you. I've passed on used luxury and high end cars just for this reason. I go to sites and look through threads for major failures and costs, after warranty has ended. In fact I passed on a used turbo 997 due to the issue of coolant pipe failures and the costs if they fail or the cost to get fixed preemptively. PDK is known to fail and it's known the PCNA won't cover it out of warranty. If you are not upside down on it value wise you could sell it as is.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:30 AM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:33 AM.

Quick Reply: PDK problems require full replacement