Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK problems require full replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 09:55 PM
Ira Zoot
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd never buy another car from AutoBarn ... granted maybe they improved in the last 2 decades but
they were doing some not so cool things to sell cars back then,

Porsche Exchange is a great shop and I've used them in the past but bought this car from the dealer out in Barrington. Judging by the size of the dealer ship it's safe to assume they are doing something right. But the issue here stems from the policy set by the "mothership". Maybe they figure if you can afford a 911 then you can afford whatever repair costs they toss at you? Not a new attitude with corps that deal with luxury items.

I just emailed Rick at Fischer the diagnostic reports to see what he thinks can be done. We have some really good specialized shops in the area so, I'll figure something out. Also, per PNA's request I've emailed them again with the reports and rundown to this point. So who knows ... honestly I just want to get this resolved one way or the other. Losing valuable driving time and we don't get a lot of that here.

Thanks for all the replies ... updates to come.

Ira
Old 07-11-2017, 10:17 PM
SockToy
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 34 Posts

Porsche is an ecosystem. They'll still sell you certified 997s, and folks need them to so they can trade in and upgrade.

To say Porsche shouldnt care if their cars blow up because they're a generation out of date is insane.

I have more sympathy for the questions around maintenance and warranty though. If they provide routes to get it cared for right and we dont use em, I dont think we can expect them to bend over too far backwards for us... though, again - I dont understand why no 16 year warranty in NA.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:24 PM
Mario d
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To think I was almost considering PDk in my next one.
Not now.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:13 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by SockToy
Porsche is an ecosystem. They'll still sell you certified 997s, and folks need them to so they can trade in and upgrade.

To say Porsche shouldnt care if their cars blow up because they're a generation out of date is insane.

I have more sympathy for the questions around maintenance and warranty though. If they provide routes to get it cared for right and we dont use em, I dont think we can expect them to bend over too far backwards for us... though, again - I dont understand why no 16 year warranty in NA.
Judging by the thread starters response to my question
He is no for buying a new Porsche
He is no for maintenance at Porsche dealership including LOF - yes Porsche NA could help you and it is your best bet when you get service done at a Porsche dealership.

They need a business case...

Buying a used car benefits Porsche to a certain amount. They will treat a new car buyer better because the money goes straight to Porsche.

On a cpo car the money is only in the policy and margin is a lot smaller.

Porsche would never offer a 16 year warranty because of expense.
Company wants to make profits!

The dealer did the vale body estimate not Porsche North America.

Lastly,
I really hope they do help the thread starter. I was helping point him to arguments in why thy should help him.

Appeal to them on your loyalty and purchases and contribution directly to Porsche north americas pocket books
Old 07-11-2017, 11:14 PM
Shred
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I feel so lucky to have a top notch Independent Porsche mechanic and not need to go to the dealership for repairs. I've heard way too many of these stories.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:18 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Shred
I feel so lucky to have a top notch Independent Porsche mechanic and not need to go to the dealership for repairs. I've heard way too many of these stories.
When your car breaks you own it.. not Porsche,
Old 07-12-2017, 12:10 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

I was told by a dealer mechanic that to fix/ replace the temperature sensor in the PDK requires the removal of the valve body which is held in by like 24 screws that all have to be torqued in pattern during reassembly.iirc .02
Old 07-12-2017, 12:11 AM
SockToy
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes

Yeah. This is what I meant about an ecosystem. Porsche benefit from people buying older porsches - it puts money in the pocket of those who buy new ones as they trade up, it puts money in the dealerships for parts, servicing & warranty, and it keeps the broader non PCNA ecosystem alive.

There's clearly a porsche NA difference from the rest of the world. Below is the Porsche UK policy (15 years extension - not 16, I was off by 1). It's clearly commercially viable, if you care.

Originally Posted by PorscheUK
Porsche Approved Warranty
Please note: The advertised price of a Porsche Approved Pre-Owned Car may include the cost of an optional Porsche Approved Warranty insurance product and/or a separately optional Porsche Assistance insurance product. Please speak to your Porsche Centre for further details.

The Porsche Approved Warranty is an insurance product which provides comprehensive cover comparable with the Porsche New Car Guarantee. The Porsche Approved Warranty can be purchased from any Porsche Centre for any Porsche that meets the eligibility criteria; to extend an existing Porsche Approved Warranty or the Porsche New Car Guarantee, or where a car does not have any existing cover.

Unless purchased during the first 12 months of the Porsche New Car Guarantee, a Porsche Approved Warranty can only be purchased subject to your vehicle satisfying a 111 point check at a Porsche Centre (charge applies). The Porsche Approved Warranty can be purchased with a term of either one or two years. To be eligible to purchase a policy your vehicle must have less than 125,000 miles and be under 14 years old for a 1 year insurance policy or 13 years old for a 2 year insurance policy.

Terms and conditions apply. Please contact your Porsche Centre for further details including policy exclusions and limitations of cover.
http://www.porsche.com/uk/accessorie...rrantyperiods/

Anyway. Offtopic a long way I guess ;p good luck to the OP. I wouldnt let this put me off PDK if i wanted an auto - the instances suck, but are few and far between, and PDK is a joy to drive.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:06 AM
D1coach
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Mario d
To think I was almost considering PDk in my next one.
Not now.
I wouldn't dismiss a PDK car for fear of a failure. When I bought my 09S last year I purchased a Fidelity mechanical component warranty for around $2300 which was for an additional 5 years/ 60,000 miles. For less than the price of a clutch I have 5 years of coverage. If it fails out of warranty after 2021 I will have gotten my money's worth out of the PDK. Plus by then there will definitely be more options in the rebuilt market.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:24 AM
msingh5649
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes
Judging by the thread starters response to my question
He is no for buying a new Porsche
He is no for maintenance at Porsche dealership including LOF - yes Porsche NA could help you and it is your best bet when you get service done at a Porsche dealership.

Buying a used car benefits Porsche to a certain amount. They will treat a new car buyer better because the money goes straight to Porsche.

On a cpo car the money is only in the policy and margin is a lot smaller.

The dealer did the vale body estimate not Porsche North America.
Well lets clarify. The money on a new car NEVER goes directly to the manufacturer. The customer for Porsche, or any manufacturer is really the dealers. If manufacturers waited for a car to be sold and then the money went to them-they would be bankrupt.

CPO and used cars are actually the most profitable business for most dealers. New car sales are the least profitable.

If you add the comments together--CPO sales are profitable for the dealership and important to the manufacturer not for the direct sales but the indirect revenue (parts, service agreements) and it keeps the dealer in business.

Lastly-the warranty is almost never underwritten by the manufacturer. They outsource that to a few insurance company types.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:48 AM
oceancarrera
Instructor

CPO warranty's are charged to customers at the price the dealer sets. They may get it for less from the factory. Another twist is the CPO agreement is full of holes. If you have some time read it. The sneeky factory has many in's and out's that leave you hanging when 'fix it please' time rolls along.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:22 PM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ira Zoot
I'd never buy another car from AutoBarn ... granted maybe they improved in the last 2 decades but
they were doing some not so cool things to sell cars back then,

Porsche Exchange is a great shop and I've used them in the past but bought this car from the dealer out in Barrington. Judging by the size of the dealer ship it's safe to assume they are doing something right. But the issue here stems from the policy set by the "mothership". Maybe they figure if you can afford a 911 then you can afford whatever repair costs they toss at you? Not a new attitude with corps that deal with luxury items.

I just emailed Rick at Fischer the diagnostic reports to see what he thinks can be done. We have some really good specialized shops in the area so, I'll figure something out. Also, per PNA's request I've emailed them again with the reports and rundown to this point. So who knows ... honestly I just want to get this resolved one way or the other. Losing valuable driving time and we don't get a lot of that here.

Thanks for all the replies ... updates to come.

Ira
rick is the guy who fixed mine
Old 07-12-2017, 06:30 PM
Ira Zoot
Advanced

Rick is a good guy ... he reviewed the reports for me and gave me a call. Unfortunately, it's not a problem he can help me with. I replied to PorscheNA with reports and additional info and hoping to hear back tomorrow or really at all.

Of the 2 docs supplied I find it interesting that one was a service quote for "Replace valve body on Transmission" at a cost of $3274. When I called the service department I told them if this is the number then get it in ... I approve it. $3.3k is much better than $16k. Response was ... sorry, we can't do this repair it wouldn't fix the issue. Replacement is needed.

So, if that's the case why even send me that repair quote? Felt like an unneeded tease.

So, the drama continues.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:33 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the modern world of Remove & Replace in the automotive world.........
Old 07-13-2017, 04:20 PM
iflat6
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ira Zoot
Rick is a good guy ... he reviewed the reports for me and gave me a call. Unfortunately, it's not a problem he can help me with. I replied to PorscheNA with reports and additional info and hoping to hear back tomorrow or really at all.

Of the 2 docs supplied I find it interesting that one was a service quote for "Replace valve body on Transmission" at a cost of $3274. When I called the service department I told them if this is the number then get it in ... I approve it. $3.3k is much better than $16k. Response was ... sorry, we can't do this repair it wouldn't fix the issue. Replacement is needed.

So, if that's the case why even send me that repair quote? Felt like an unneeded tease.

So, the drama continues.
hello there

Im reading this post with high interest since I'm experiencing exactly the same issue here in France.
@Ira could you please share your error codes? I can do the same, they are also related to hydraulic issue and I have the same dilemma whether to replace the valve body or the whole thing...

Quick Reply: PDK problems require full replacement