Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Poll: Have you had bore scoring on your 997.1 or 997.2 engine?
Yes, 997.1 (05-08 MY)
14.50%
Yes, 997.2 (09-12 MY)
1.83%
No, 997.1 (05-08 MY)
53.14%
No, 997.2 (09-12 MY)
30.53%
Voters: 986. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Scored cylinder failure for your 997, Y or N? tell us (yr, 997.1 or 997.2)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2023, 01:36 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by PV997
Hi Charles - I've long believed the root cause of M96/97 bore scoring was failure of the piston skirt coating which leads to galling from aluminum (piston) on aluminum (cylinder) contact. There are lots of other contributors but ultimately I think it's the piston skirt coating flaking off that starts the ball rolling. It's also not just some scratches that's a problem but specifically aluminum galling, as that is what causes the ugly, unstoppable cascade. Seems like we are relearning some of the hard lessons of early aluminum block engine rebuilders regarding the importance of skirt coatings.

I noticed Jake had a livestream about two weeks ago where he discusses piston coat flaking (which he calls stage 0 scoring) and he alludes to this phenomena with more details to come in future videos. Looking forward to it.

What has me concerned is that the skirt coating flaking may be related simply to time (i.e. the coating becomes brittle with age) as opposed to mileage (wear). This could mean low mileage cars are just as susceptible as high mileage cars. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to inspect coating condition, all we can see are the results of it (scoring) and then it's too late once galling has started.

Following that same line of thinking, that means every M96/97 owner should assume their piston skirt coating is potentially compromised and the only thing preventing aluminum to aluminum galling is the motor oil. None of this is new thinking of course, but that would mean all M96/97 owners should follow a prevention list (along with rationale):
  • Frequent oil changes (to guard against viscosity break down)
  • Use the highest viscosity oil that's appropriate for the car's operational climate (to ensure adequate oil thickness/viscosity at the thrust face)
  • Use oil with high levels of moly or a moly additive at a minimum (as moly is well known for it's aluminum anti-galling properties)
  • Install a low temperature thermostat (to reduce temps at the thrust face and preserve oil viscosity)
  • Never lug the engine (to reduce piston to cylinder sidewall forces at the thrust face that can squeeze out the oil and increase temps)
  • Ensure injectors aren't leaking (to prevent fuel wash of the motor oil)

The last one seems more of a theoretical concern to me as the bank 2 thrust face is on the top of the engine. Visualizing this, gravity should help out here as unatomized fuel would fall to the bottom of the cylinder away from the thrust face. This would be more of an issue for bank 1 (where the thrust face is at the bottom) yet we almost never see scoring there.

Any other thoughts on this or additional suggestions?

Thinking more along these same lines, have you noticed the piston skirt coat flaking being more prevalent on bank 2? It's a chicken or the egg question. Do the higher temps of the bank 2 thrust face cause the coating to flake off? Or does the coating flake off on all cylinders but bank 2 is more susceptible to scoring due to motor oil break down?

Always appreciate your thoughts on this and your willingness to share what you've learned.
That's a great summary.

With regards to fuel injectors, we have seen time and time again bad injectors associated with cylinders that have scored. I am also aware of at least one case where a new factory shortblock failed within 3000 miles from bore scoring on the same cylinder. Turned out to be a bad injector on that cylinder.

In my personal opinion, the wrist pin offset is likely the cause of bank 2 scoring first in most engines. Porsche did not use bank specific pistons for this application and I believe that having the piston offset going the wrong way does not help the situation. However I don't think it is one specific item that is the root cause of these issues but rather an accumulation of things that break the proverbial "camel's back."
Old 04-09-2023, 02:34 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,506 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
That's a great summary.

With regards to fuel injectors, we have seen time and time again bad injectors associated with cylinders that have scored. I am also aware of at least one case where a new factory shortblock failed within 3000 miles from bore scoring on the same cylinder. Turned out to be a bad injector on that cylinder.

In my personal opinion, the wrist pin offset is likely the cause of bank 2 scoring first in most engines. Porsche did not use bank specific pistons for this application and I believe that having the piston offset going the wrong way does not help the situation. However I don't think it is one specific item that is the root cause of these issues but rather an accumulation of things that break the proverbial "camel's back."
Thanks Charles, good info as always. I'll have to look into the wrist pin offset as I've never seriously considered it. I guess the mechanism there is increased sidewall forces due to the geometry? That would be interesting to model. Happy Easter.
Old 04-09-2023, 08:24 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PV997
Thanks Charles, good info as always. I'll have to look into the wrist pin offset as I've never seriously considered it. I guess the mechanism there is increased sidewall forces due to the geometry? That would be interesting to model. Happy Easter.
Yup, increased side wall forces with the offset going the opposite way (maybe why the piston only wears on the thrust side). I also believe that having the piston come out of the bore 7mm at BDC changeover (on the 3.6 and 3.8) doesn't help this issue any.
Old 07-19-2023, 07:56 AM
Brokenhearted997
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an emerging movement among dissatisfied 997 S customers who all have come to realise that a systemic fault with the 997 S engine has left them with significant financial damage through no fault of their own. The engine block of the 997 has proven incapable of handling the bigger cylinders of the 997 S as the walls were simply too thin.

By now, more than 70% of all 997 S cars have experienced cylinder bore scoring through tilted pistons due to the thinner walls giving ever so slightly and allowing the pistons to tilt over and begin scraping. This is unrelated to mileage and has occurred in cars anywhere from 20,000 miles and upward.

This usually leads to autonomous catastrophic engine failure, through absolutely no fault of the customer.

At this point the data evidence is completely overwhelming and Porsche should really take responsibility for the serious harm and grief caused to an entire generation of customers. Lord knows they are profitable enough to show some stakeholder concern and show they care about their customers.

I hear in the United States there may be another Porsche class action lawsuit developing, led by two of the country's top class action law firms. In Germany, one of the leading Auto illustrated magazines is currently investigating, and I understand the Financial Times is doing the same.

Last edited by Brokenhearted997; 07-19-2023 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-19-2023, 11:51 AM
spessx
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Brokenhearted997
There is an emerging movement among dissatisfied 997 S customers who all have come to realise that a systemic fault with the 997 S engine has left them with significant financial damage through no fault of their own. The engine block of the 997 has proven incapable of handling the bigger cylinders of the 997 S as the walls were simply too thin.

By now, more than 70% of all 997 S cars have experienced cylinder bore scoring through tilted pistons due to the thinner walls giving ever so slightly and allowing the pistons to tilt over and begin scraping. This is unrelated to mileage and has occurred in cars anywhere from 20,000 miles and upward.

This usually leads to autonomous catastrophic engine failure, through absolutely no fault of the customer.

At this point the data evidence is completely overwhelming and Porsche should really take responsibility for the serious harm and grief caused to an entire generation of customers. Lord knows they are profitable enough to show some stakeholder concern and show they care about their customers.

I hear in the United States there may be another Porsche class action lawsuit developing, led by two of the country's top class action law firms. In Germany, one of the leading Auto illustrated magazines is currently investigating, and I understand the Financial Times is doing the same.
Your quoted stats and stated reasons for failures don't appear to have a ton of basis in reality. There is a high risk of scoring, but I don't think it's anywhere near 70%. Also, cylinder wall thickness doesn't appear to have any bearing on the bore scoring outcome (maybe it does for D-chunk failures). Instead, I'm guessing that most scoring comes down to alusil cylinder coatings, improper cooling to cylinders (especially 4,5,6) causing flaking off of piston coatings and long factory oil change intervals. One of the experts like Charles Navarro, Jake Raby or Brandon from Slakker Racing/Hartech are way more qualified to comment than I am.

I'm not saying there isn't a reason for a class action - there definitely is. But, I don't know what Porsche could do to address the issue. If they offer extended replacements for failed engines they'll still just have the same alusil bores.

Last edited by spessx; 07-19-2023 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-26-2023, 08:46 AM
toekneegg
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just adding to statistics. Recently purchased a 2006 997.1 C2S in manual with 105k miles on the odometer.

Just wrapped up a bore scope and found no signs of bore scoring from the top side (scoped while replacing spark plugs). Will scope from the bottom end when I install a new baffled oil pan.
Old 08-26-2023, 03:33 PM
dak996
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

2009 997.1 Turbo ran 156k km, I am the 5th owner , and not sure if one of the ex-owners did it, I tracked the car once, I traveled the car two times for 1000 km every once, and I lived in one of the hottest country " Kuwait " and still the engine good with small modified power.
Old 09-13-2023, 07:22 AM
iksam
4th Gear

Received 18 Likes on 1 Post

2006 997.1 4S. No bore scoring at all. 60K miles.
Old 09-13-2023, 07:50 AM
sburke91
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 97 Posts

2006 997.1 4S (M97.01 engine). Approximately 38k miles, car started life in Connecticut, then spent some time in CA and FL across 3 owners. Replaced the engine in January with a FSI Stage 2. When FSI tore down my original core, they found scoring in 3 cylinders and the piston skirt coating was flaking on all 6 pistons.
Old 09-27-2023, 10:58 AM
R. Moya
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Swap

Hello, New to the forum. I purchased a 2006 997.1SC2 a little over a year ago from a Porsche dealer that said the car was "Porsche Certified" (We have drastic differences of that term). Any way long story short... Slight bore scoring and second gear issues that my independent shop will address. And in that discussion, we talked about my options..i.e. rebuild... FSI stage 1...sell the car. Then he tells me that he has a 996 Mezger Turbo motor that he would sell. Any Thoughts?
Old 09-27-2023, 11:07 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R. Moya
Hello, New to the forum. I purchased a 2006 997.1SC2 a little over a year ago from a Porsche dealer that said the car was "Porsche Certified" (We have drastic differences of that term). Any way long story short... Slight bore scoring and second gear issues that my independent shop will address. And in that discussion, we talked about my options..i.e. rebuild... FSI stage 1...sell the car. Then he tells me that he has a 996 Mezger Turbo motor that he would sell. Any Thoughts?
I'd steer clear of doing a turbo conversion. You'd be better off selling the car as-is and buying a turbo car if that's what you want.

If you aren't in love with car, it might be best to just sell it. Otherwise, it's going to cost $$$ to fix everything correctly, but you'll end up with an awesome car that I'd rather have than any new Porsche.
The following 2 users liked this post by Charles Navarro:
8KaboveMSL (09-27-2023), Coolwnc (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 11:13 AM
Coolwnc
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by R. Moya
I was in the same " Boat " about three years ago. Bought an "05 997.1. The Porsche dealer gave me a 40K service and an inspection.... Ended up the car had scoring and I had the engine rebuilt back to stock level. The stress I had during that process was crazy. Thankfully I had funds to get the car back in shape! Present time the car runs great and I am glad I made the move. It's all about money, time and keeping the car you love! Hope this helps....that my two cents!
Old 09-28-2023, 12:27 AM
R. Moya
3rd Gear

Thanks Charles. After seeing your credentials it looks like you know a thing or two or a million about these engines. I do love the car, and I will probably go down the rabbit hole and have it rebuilt. And you're right 997's are so much better than newer 911's. They might beat me in a race, but I will have a WAY better time loosing the race than they have winning it.
Old 09-28-2023, 12:28 AM
R. Moya
3rd Gear

Thanks for your 2 cents... I will need it for the rebuild. Fortunately, the money is there. I just need to find a really good technician and shop in my area.
Old 09-28-2023, 10:26 AM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 291 Posts

Charles (you are the only one that can empirically answer this I assume) : What would the flaking of the piston cylinder coatings show up as, if at all, on a UOA? Is it Silicon, or is that (Silicon) from the cylinder walls in addition to aluminum?

Quick Reply: Poll: Scored cylinder failure for your 997, Y or N? tell us (yr, 997.1 or 997.2)