Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Poll: Have you had bore scoring on your 997.1 or 997.2 engine?
Yes, 997.1 (05-08 MY)
14.43%
Yes, 997.2 (09-12 MY)
1.82%
No, 997.1 (05-08 MY)
53.18%
No, 997.2 (09-12 MY)
30.58%
Voters: 991. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Scored cylinder failure for your 997, Y or N? tell us (yr, 997.1 or 997.2)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 09:11 AM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 997Troy
2010 Carrera 4 3.6L
Ownership: 2 years
Purchased with 109xxxkms and currently have roughly 138xxxkms

I may have a possible bore scoring failure. Still unsure of what may have caused it but I have a feeling it may be due to a mix of hard driving, lack of cooling(no 3rd rad) and a clogged pass side cat(running too rich due to a failing o2 possibly). Mechanic used a scope and also took apart a few parts for inspection.

- scoped inside cylinders and one has some light scoring
- engine is hard to turn over manually
​​​​​​- cogged up passenger side cat
- tons of metal dust found at the bottom of the pan once removed.

Back story:

- car has been driving fine and maintenance has been up kept
- multiple oil changes
- never left the car to idle longer than 30-45sec
- drove with caution until safe engine temps
- 6-8 track days completed this year
​​​​​- modified exhaust and had an exhaust gasket leak for a month before finding it
​​​​​​- replaced all spark plugs and coil packs
- did another exhaust modification to remove side mufflers
​​​​​​- car drove fine for about 10-12 days and started misfiring with a flashing cel
- towed car to shop and this is the result
Yeah I don’t think anyone needs to tell you but that looks bad, like don’t drive until fixed bad. If you scoped from both the top and bottom and didn’t see some serious scoring you are not looking hard enough or you spun a bearing. A 3rd radiator, low temp thermostat, and X51 baffle are minimum entry for track time on these cars.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:01 AM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 684 Likes on 325 Posts

that oil has the cylinder soup color. once you get that level of metal it is just killing everything.
Old 11-24-2021, 08:09 PM
advrider1967
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 997Troy
2010 Carrera 4 3.6L
Ownership: 2 years
Purchased with 109xxxkms and currently have roughly 138xxxkms

I may have a possible bore scoring failure. Still unsure of what may have caused it but I have a feeling it may be due to a mix of hard driving, lack of cooling(no 3rd rad) and a clogged pass side cat(running too rich due to a failing o2 possibly). Mechanic used a scope and also took apart a few parts for inspection.

- scoped inside cylinders and one has some light scoring
- engine is hard to turn over manually
​​​​​​- cogged up passenger side cat
- tons of metal dust found at the bottom of the pan once removed.

Back story:

- car has been driving fine and maintenance has been up kept
- multiple oil changes
- never left the car to idle longer than 30-45sec
- drove with caution until safe engine temps
- 6-8 track days completed this year
​​​​​- modified exhaust and had an exhaust gasket leak for a month before finding it
​​​​​​- replaced all spark plugs and coil packs
- did another exhaust modification to remove side mufflers
​​​​​​- car drove fine for about 10-12 days and started misfiring with a flashing cel
- towed car to shop and this is the result
I have a theory, and its based on my own experiences with my 2009 C2 Base PDK with 65K. You have an injector that is not closing. DFI injectors with "higher miles" can hang open and you will get massive fuel washing of that cylinder, misfires on every stroke, clogged (or melted) CAT etc. The failure of the injector is abrupt, and without warning. Iv'e seen this in Porsches, Mercs, VWs- anything with DFI. The telltale will be to examine the injector in the cylinder that set the most misfires. The tip will be black and furry vs one that closes, which will be light grey/tan. The leak can be so bad, the DME will set codes for rail pressure too low!

As you probably know by now- you are looking at a complete engine/overhaul. Once all that metal, aluminium or not, has been pumped through the engine, you cannot trust any part inside the engine. Budget for 6 new injectors as well. A serious bummer, and my heart goes out to you.

Old 11-26-2021, 03:46 PM
thesandog5
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
Remove the front bumper (or have a reputable shop do it if you're not the DIY type) and clean between the AC condensers and the side radiators if it hasn't been done. That area can get clogged with debris and you'll be amazed what you'll find in there. Add some radiator grills like the ones from Rennline while the bumper is off so it doesn't happen again anytime soon. A 3rd radiator can also work wonders and the kit is relatively inexpensive.

If you haven't replaced the water pump or know if it has been done previously, now would be a good time to do it. The 997.1's aren't known for having water pumps that can make it the distance.

Consider adding a low temp thermostat. Lot's of threads here on the benefits and why they're important. If you're going to do a cooling system refresh anyway, it's cheap insurance. New coolant wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Lastly, get back on the road and enjoy.
Thanks for the feedback. I was just wondering if there were other early indicators. I will do the bumper removal and check more closely. I have scheduled an LN Engineering Low Temp thermostat for install in a couple of weeks. The water pump was already replaced by the previous owner at 74K miles. Enjoying the drive almost daily!
Old 12-15-2021, 08:46 AM
997ajk
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Have a friend with bore scoring in a 2016 Cayman 981 (base 9A1 motor) - just out of warranty with 80K + km - misfire and scored bore , followed all recommendations.

Cold weather seems to have alot more of these issues then warm weather countries - I wonder if our 91 octane is also to blame.
Old 12-15-2021, 08:57 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by 997ajk
Have a friend with bore scoring in a 2016 Cayman 981 (base 9A1 motor) - just out of warranty with 80K + km - misfire and scored bore , followed all recommendations.

Cold weather seems to have alot more of these issues then warm weather countries - I wonder if our 91 octane is also to blame.
Thank winter blend fuels… This years there’s 40+ different blends in the lower 48 states.
Old 12-15-2021, 08:59 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Thank winter blend fuels… This years there’s 40+ different blends in the lower 48 states.
When you say winter blend fuels, do you mean the ethanol mixed fuels, and if so, does using something like Injector Defender every so often help negate that potential damage?
Old 12-15-2021, 09:03 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Carreralicious
When you say winter blend fuels, do you mean the ethanol mixed fuels, and if so, does using something like Injector Defender every so often help negate that potential damage?
Nope, fuel blends change in the late fall and spring. We see huge differences in engine output and emissions as soon as the fuel changes. I can smell the difference on the dyno to the point that we can pinpoint to the week that it has changed.

Engines will instantly change when it comes to their BSFC and fueling values. Ethanol is just one ingredient in modern fuels, and isn’t even the worst.
The following users liked this post:
Carreralicious (12-15-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 09:07 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Nope, fuel blends change in the late fall and spring. We see huge differences in engine output and emissions as soon as the fuel changes. I can smell the difference on the dyno to the point that we can pinpoint to the week that it has changed.

Engines will instantly change when it comes to their BSFC and fueling values. Ethanol is just one ingredient in modern fuels, and isn’t even the worst.
Thanks, so if there’s recommended oil to use for our cars, is there a recommended gas brand, or are we basically SOL regardless of brand used? 😁
Old 12-15-2021, 09:31 AM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 684 Likes on 325 Posts

Shell 93
Old 12-15-2021, 11:08 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Carreralicious
Thanks, so if there’s recommended oil to use for our cars, is there a recommended gas brand, or are we basically SOL regardless of brand used? 😁
Brand doesn’t matter… She’ll seems to be the most stable, but it all sucks.
Old 03-01-2022, 03:17 PM
Nine9Se7en_YYC
Track Day

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Low Milage 997.1 - Being scoped next week

In my (very) short tenure of ownership with my '05 C2 I've noticed more carbon (soot) on the left exhaust tip than the right...considerably more. Initially I had hoped it's just condensation as it looked like it was "watery" and the byproduct of a garage queen not stretching its legs on a regular basis, but I'd rather be sure so the car is back at the dealer to be scoped. Especially since this only happens on the left side. I've taken it to the dealer as they have agreed to investigate this further and cover costs of diagnosis since I only took delivery <4 weeks ago.

Some back story: This particular car came to me through my local Porsche Centre in Calgary and was inspected prior to my taking delivery. The IMS Bearing was replaced by the previous owner last spring and a borescope was completed at that time showing no concerns. It only just rolled over 20K Kms; I've managed to take advantage of warm weather and dry roads to put ~1250 KMs on since my purchase. I've ONLY taken the car out when the temps are warm...er (-5c is the lowest I've driven the car) and have been VERY cautious to follow the guided warm up procedure - ie: never rev past 3k until the oil is up to 90c/200f, no lugging the engine, etc. As well, in my ownership i've only run 94 octane; though I appreciate its a winter blend.

As for Oil consumption, it's a bit more difficult to tell but here are the facts: When I took delivery, the oil level was on the lowest bar but still within operating threshold. I checked the level a few more times while parked on the same flat area and put small amounts of oil (200ml at a time) until the level was full; doing this took 1 Liter of 0w40. Since getting the oil level up to the top, I've added another ~800ml in the 1250Kms that I've driven to keep the oil topped up. Which, as we all know is within the tolerances according to Porsche (up to 1.5L per 1000Kms), but this amount of consumption doesn't really sit well with me. If a technician scopes the car, checks plugs/coils and confirms no issues - then I'll be okay with it.

The oil consumption isn't "obscene" compared to some other owners, so I wouldn't be as concerned about this on its own. But coupled with the continued carbon/soot on the left exhaust tip, I'd rather know if there is any scoring at this point and if so, what is the severity of it. Will post and details or pics of the cylinders once I have more intel.

Thanks!
Lateralgrip (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 04:25 PM
Nine9Se7en_YYC
Track Day

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Scored Cyl#6...as suspected

So, I spoke with the dealer who chalked up the soot on the left exhaust tip to the AOS which they say is causing the engine to burn oil. Recommendation: Change out the AOS and spark plugs.....oh, btw there is scoring on Cyl #6. Way to bury the lead, Porshce Center X! 👌🏽

I then spoke to my indy Porsche gurus here and had a different recommendation after showing them the borescope pics. Change plugs due to the vintage at the next service with them and they will also do a deeper inspection to see if there are any preventative recommendations to minimize further scoring. As per many other members here and my own go-forward plan, I'll continue to drive and enjoy the car while planning for a rebuild in the coming years. I'm exceptionally cautious for warming the car to oil operating temp and will change plugs and install a low temp t-stat at the next service. Of course, I'll also continue to track/record oil consumption.

I'm not going to let this sour or sully my experience with the brand or my first Pcar. It drives so well (for now) and is such a joy to own, I'm happy to wrap my head around the price to rebuild in the next few years as I intend on keeping this car for the long-term.

Here's a pic of Cyl #6, along with what looks like some "light" scoring on #4 and #5 as well possibly?
Attached Images    
The following 3 users liked this post by Nine9Se7en_YYC:
Lateralgrip (03-03-2022), Rallybill (03-28-2022), Scalp_em (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 04:33 PM
Lateralgrip
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Life is short. Mechanical S&!t breaks wether at 24k or 98k etc. My car made it to 98k miles and no bore score or ims instead she had a main bearing failure and put a hole in the block. Luckily I bought a warranty. Unfortunately now I wait until she is back on the road.

Enjoy!!

Originally Posted by Nine9Se7en_YYC
So, I spoke with the dealer who chalked up the soot on the left exhaust tip to the AOS which they say is causing the engine to burn oil. Recommendation: Change out the AOS and spark plugs.....oh, btw there is scoring on Cyl #6. Way to bury the lead, Porshce Center X! 👌🏽

I then spoke to my indy Porsche gurus here and had a different recommendation after showing them the borescope pics. Change plugs due to the vintage at the next service with them and they will also do a deeper inspection to see if there are any preventative recommendations to minimize further scoring. As per many other members here and my own go-forward plan, I'll continue to drive and enjoy the car while planning for a rebuild in the coming years. I'm exceptionally cautious for warming the car to oil operating temp and will change plugs and install a low temp t-stat at the next service. Of course, I'll also continue to track/record oil consumption.

I'm not going to let this sour or sully my experience with the brand or my first Pcar. It drives so well (for now) and is such a joy to own, I'm happy to wrap my head around the price to rebuild in the next few years as I intend on keeping this car for the long-term.

Here's a pic of Cyl #6, along with what looks like some "light" scoring on #4 and #5 as well possibly?

Last edited by Lateralgrip; 03-03-2022 at 04:35 PM.
Nine9Se7en_YYC (03-03-2022)
Old 03-03-2022, 05:35 PM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine9Se7en_YYC

Kudos for your positive attitude! But isn't the Porsche dealer who sold you the car going to step up to the plate and offer to buy the car back or some other
compensation?
Many would consider a total engine rebuild close to a total loss of the car, financially.
Nine9Se7en_YYC (03-03-2022)

Quick Reply: Poll: Scored cylinder failure for your 997, Y or N? tell us (yr, 997.1 or 997.2)