Sponsored by:

DIY and Review - Function First Transmission Mount Insert for 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 10:58 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
Report back after you installed the orange insert. I went that route, but had to remove the insert later due to the excessive NVH.
Same here. I installed the yellow inserts and then removed them shortly after. The NVH was unbearable.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:24 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie
I have the orange ones in hand for when I do my clutch job between now and Christmas on my 997.2. I will report back how they worked out.

My advice is hold off on the clutch job until after you installed the inserts. If you can't stand the NVH after the install, then the clutch job will give you an opportunity to change the mount when the transmission is off the car. I made that mistake of not replacing the mount when they did the clutch because I thought the inserts will take care of my problem without knowing the NVH is unbearable to me even with the orange inserts. Hindsight is always 20/20 :<(
Old 10-14-2019, 01:52 AM
lurchphil
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I installed the Yellow FF transmission mounts at 33,000 miles and the URO RS engine mounts from RennPart in my 2011 Carrera GTS PDK. They had produced negligible NVH. 20,000 miles later, I would do the sam thing again in a minute.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:23 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by lurchphil
I installed the Yellow FF transmission mounts at 33,000 miles and the URO RS engine mounts from RennPart in my 2011 Carrera GTS PDK. They had produced negligible NVH. 20,000 miles later, I would do the sam thing again in a minute.
I've heard the inserts on PDK is quite bearable, compared wth manual as on my 997.2 is quite loud.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:54 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

I installed the orange mounts on my 997.2, but like HenryPcar said the NVH was too much for him and for me too. I installed them around Christmas and removed them at the end of February. Two months of use to see if I could get used to it, but it was too much for me. Not tons of vibration, but more than I wanted. I also am on semi-solid engine mounts too so that plays into the equation. My engine mount was in almost perfect condition too. Does anyone want to buy my orange mounts?
Old 03-22-2020, 10:51 PM
Emc2design
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 647 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie
I installed the orange mounts on my 997.2, but like HenryPcar said the NVH was too much for him and for me too. I installed them around Christmas and removed them at the end of February. Two months of use to see if I could get used to it, but it was too much for me. Not tons of vibration, but more than I wanted. I also am on semi-solid engine mounts too so that plays into the equation. My engine mount was in almost perfect condition too. Does anyone want to buy my orange mounts?
@doclouie that is interesting. I wonder if it is because of the combination of the semi solid engine mounts + the transmission mounts in your case, or if it is just that the transmission mounts create more NVH on manual cars? I'll be changing my engine mounts soon also.

4 years later and I'm still loving this upgrade - shifting is still super sharp, and the only time I get any vibration is the same as originally reported - i.e. if idling in Park or Neutral (which is irrelevant to me )
At what points were you getting the extra NVH?

By Porsche enthusiasts
For Porsche enthusiasts

Old 03-22-2020, 11:20 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Emc2design
@doclouie that is interesting. I wonder if it is because of the combination of the semi solid engine mounts + the transmission mounts in your case, or if it is just that the transmission mounts create more NVH on manual cars? I'll be changing my engine mounts soon also.

4 years later and I'm still loving this upgrade - shifting is still super sharp, and the only time I get any vibration is the same as originally reported - i.e. if idling in Park or Neutral (which is irrelevant to me )
At what points were you getting the extra NVH?
NVH in neutral is what bothered me the most with the tranny mount. Not tons, but enough to be annoying for me. There definitely was more NVH when the semi-sold mounts were installed, but I wanted more noise and vibration as there was none on the stock engine mounts. Could be a manual tranny thing. Probably just more my preference as we are all different.
Old 06-26-2020, 01:43 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,525 Likes on 4,157 Posts

Just installed the orange (softest) ones last night. Won't have any impressions for a while as I'm slowly doing a bunch of work at the same time. The side plates on my original mounts were completely deteriorated and mostly gone. I have RSS semi solid engine mounts, but don't worry too much about some additional noise if it comes with a performance benefit, which is why I've eliminated all rubber from my suspension, have a Fabspeed exhaust, monoball top mounts, etc. My 928 has much more solid transmission mounts and they're a lot - these should be fine as this ain't a GT car.

The following users liked this post:
delirium45 (06-29-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 02:22 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

I installed the softer inserts a few months ago on my PDK car with stock engine mounts. I do notice slightly crisper shifting and have not noticed any additional NVH. I suspect this mod, combined with solid or semi-solid engine mounts would add significant NVH--or at least more than I am willing to bear.
Emc2design (08-01-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 06:24 PM
Emc2design
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Petza914
Just installed the orange (softest) ones last night. Won't have any impressions for a while as I'm slowly doing a bunch of work at the same time. The side plates on my original mounts were completely deteriorated and mostly gone. I have RSS semi solid engine mounts, but don't worry too much about some additional noise if it comes with a performance benefit, which is why I've eliminated all rubber from my suspension, have a Fabspeed exhaust, monoball top mounts, etc. My 928 has much more solid transmission mounts and they're a lot - these should be fine as this ain't a GT car.
Nice @Petza914 - look forward to hearing your feedback.
I intend to do motor mounts also sometime in July. Considering the FF versions for this job also.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:28 PM
Emc2design
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Iceter
I installed the softer inserts a few months ago on my PDK car with stock engine mounts. I do notice slightly crisper shifting and have not noticed any additional NVH. I suspect this mod, combined with solid or semi-solid engine mounts would add significant NVH--or at least more than I am willing to bear.
@Iceter I'll be doing the FF Engine mounts shortly and will definitely provide an update on how the combination feels.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:47 AM
frybear
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 134 Posts

Anyone have any more updates on the soft/orange FF inserts? Not that is matters as I'm taking my car in today to have them installed along with changing the tranny fluid to Mobil PTX. FWIW, I have a 997.1 w/55k miles on it and the FF engine mounts already installed. So far, very little NVH from the engine mounts and it should decrease after more miles are put on the car I've read from numerous sources.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:52 AM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

I installed the yellow mount from power Flex and I noticed an improvement immediately. Very easy to intall with no negative impacts at all
frybear (11-23-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 10:56 AM
frybear
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 134 Posts

nice! I would consider doing it myself but would need a lift or quick jacks. Car is too low as is and it's not even lowered
Old 11-23-2021, 11:22 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,525 Likes on 4,157 Posts

Originally Posted by frybear
Anyone have any more updates on the soft/orange FF inserts? Not that is matters as I'm taking my car in today to have them installed along with changing the tranny fluid to Mobil PTX. FWIW, I have a 997.1 w/55k miles on it and the FF engine mounts already installed. So far, very little NVH from the engine mounts and it should decrease after more miles are put on the car I've read from numerous sources.
I have the orange ones in mine. About 2,000 miles on them so far. Car is wonderful.

Those are my pics in post #38

Last edited by Petza914; 11-23-2021 at 11:27 AM.

Quick Reply: DIY and Review - Function First Transmission Mount Insert for 997.2