Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 09:57 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by dawgcatching
Almost seems too cheap for Park Place. That is a $66k car easy at most dealers, if not more, with those seats and deviated stitching, SPASM. PP always charges top dollar too, with all of that funny money running around Seattle these days. Wonder if it has an OverREV issue or repair that is not listed? Cars without the full leather and buckets sell at that price, in a manual, at Porsche dealers in a day or 2.
No factory installed power kit or aero kit, no frickin way I would pay that for a 2009 997.2. Bucket seats are not for everyone and even though they would be my preference, I still would not go over $55k for a 2009 S with that interior. At $70k, one is reaching the price realm of too many other good options.

Nevertheless, people can get a bit foolish buying cars like these. I sold my 94 3.6T (black, red/blk) with mid 30K miles for $58k in 2004 because I felt as if there were better options out there for not much more in 2004 . . . and now people are paying $ 300k for them which too me is a joke as well. . . .

While I am crying over lost car money . . . I sold both my 993ttS for $175k and my CGT for sticker $448k in 05 as well and look at those now . . . Both of those cars kind of make sense at current prices though. Still, this is a base model 2009 S with cool stitching and uncomfy bucket seats . . $55k tops. Anything more is full retard mode.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:37 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

The local dealer does, due to living out here on an "island" This same place I tried to trade in my m235i to last year, enthusiast build with 6MT. Already CPO'd by BMW, just needed to be pictured and listed. They offered me $32,500 on trade. OK.....so I took it over the mountains, put it on consignment, and they netted me $39,500, sold it for $43k. That's $10,500 gross on a $43k sale. Just for reference, another dealer offered $36k to buy it outright, no trade. It's just the local dealer playing the "only game in town" role for people lazy enough not to drive a few hours and save $5,000.

I think they need more competition locally!
I dunno. You are talking apples and oranges. They could have been taking a loss on the car being sold to get your BMW trade. Your trade may have needed $X dollars to get it ready to sell. You are talking about a crappy BMW 2 series and we are talking about 911s here. The demand and liquidity is very different for a 997 and a BMW 2 series and that dealer may just not have wanted to deal with a BMW 2 series given demand at that time.

You can try and convince yourself you understand and know the business, but you don't. Dealerships are not making $12k off a $50k 997, not even close. In fact, they may be breaking even on these cars and making their money on the back end. How long have you been buying and selling Porsche, how many have you bought and sold and how many different models have you bought and sold? Seems like you pretty new in the marque.

I buy and flip auction, wholesale and dealer cars when I see an opportunity for just a hobby with no over head. Making money these days is uber tough. My closest personal friend purchases for 5 high end local lots and 2 high end lots in Seattle and has his own floor space for about 15 to 20 cars. That is all he does day in, day out is purchase Porsches, BMWs, Audis, Mercedes, Maserati, Ferrari, Bentley and etc. to stock these lots and locate specific cars for specific purchasers . He losses money and his contracts with these lots if his cars do not turn profit or do not sell quickly the manner in which his pay is structured. He has to purchase several hundred a month and it is dang near impossible right now. Its a blood bath out there and front end margins on these types of cars suck and there is little or no profit in them
Old 09-02-2017, 11:34 AM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
No factory installed power kit or aero kit, no frickin way I would pay that for a 2009 997.2. Bucket seats are not for everyone and even though they would be my preference, I still would not go over $55k for a 2009 S with that interior. At $70k, one is reaching the price realm of too many other good options.

Nevertheless, people can get a bit foolish buying cars like these. I sold my 94 3.6T (black, red/blk) with mid 30K miles for $58k in 2004 because I felt as if there were better options out there for not much more in 2004 . . . and now people are paying $ 300k for them which too me is a joke as well. . . .

While I am crying over lost car money . . . I sold both my 993ttS for $175k and my CGT for sticker $448k in 05 as well and look at those now . . . Both of those cars kind of make sense at current prices though. Still, this is a base model 2009 S with cool stitching and uncomfy bucket seats . . $55k tops. Anything more is full retard mode.
i'm not saying it's worth that. I just know what several cars have sold for recently that are similarly built out. I wouldn't pay $80,000 for a 993 either, but that's just me. Arguing over what someone else is willing to pay for an item is silly however. Patek makes nice watches, and I won't be paying $45,000 for a Nautilus. But if someone else would like to, good for them. Whatever makes you happy!

Last edited by dawgcatching; 09-02-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:18 PM
whatnextak
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

08 targa 4s
https://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/6290538482.html
Old 09-02-2017, 06:46 PM
4PTZERO
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

Hey all - what's the top price once should be paying for a CPO'd 997.2 C2S with sport chrono / full leather @ 35k miles? KBB is around $58-59k private party.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:27 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sroc5
Hey all - what's the top price once should be paying for a CPO'd 997.2 C2S with sport chrono / full leather @ 35k miles? KBB is around $58-59k private party.
Manual or PDK? Guys at RAC are saying that manuals are commanding as much as a $5k premium right now. What year? CPO isn't worth much, it will be expiring any day (6 years from in-service date)
Old 09-02-2017, 07:58 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 134 Posts

No way a tiptronic goes for almost 48k
Old 09-02-2017, 07:58 PM
4PTZERO
Racer

Old 09-02-2017, 07:59 PM
4PTZERO
Racer

Manual or PDK? Guys at RAC are saying that manuals are commanding as much as a $5k premium right now. What year? CPO isn't worth much, it will be expiring any day (6 years from in-service date)
2010, 6MT, but why wouldn't CPO be worth anything? It's an extended warranty from used car purchase, a full 2 years or 50k miles more.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:30 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

I dunno. You are talking apples and oranges. They could have been taking a loss on the car being sold to get your BMW trade.

You can try and convince yourself you understand and know the business, but you don't. Dealerships are not making $12k off a $50k 997, not even close. In fact, they may be breaking even on these cars and making their money on the back end. How long have you been buying and selling Porsche, how many have you bought and sold and how many different models have you bought and sold? Seems like you pretty new in the marque.
This wasn't a trade, it was just a cash offer, so it is relevant. Due to your logic, margins on 2 series should be higher then? Another poster on the board here said he was offered $48k for his C2S with just over 10k on the ODO. The dealer (Connecticut area) told him they would expect it to fetch $65k. It did need new tires, but other than that, was mint. Full X-Pel, so it didn't even need a detail, 11,000 miles. $1000 for tires, $250 for web ads, $250 for marketing photos and someone's time, $10/day for lot time (moving the cars around, washing) at $450, $500 commission on the sale, figure a $30,000 payment on the location divided by 300 cars that come through there on the sales side, so $100/car/mo, and figure it sells in 45 days, so $150. Probably 1/3% interest per month on inventory, $75/mo insurance, figure $145 there. That is $2745 over 45-days. Assume I left a bunch of stuff out, so more like $4k overhead on this particular car. $53k for a $65k sale. $12k margins DO exist in certain instances; it is typically a wealthy are with little competition, on an "island" where people are too lazy to shop around or have so much money they don't care. A real marker of what a dealer makes: find out what they charge to consign a car.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:31 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

2010, 6MT, but why wouldn't CPO be worth anything? It's an extended warranty from used car purchase, a full 2 years or 50k miles more.
isn't it limited to 6 years after in-service date? When I was looking at a 2013 991 last year, the dealer told me it would be expiring soon, even though it was CPO'd.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:42 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

This wasn't a trade, it was just a cash offer, so it is relevant. Due to your logic, margins on 2 series should be higher then? Another poster on the board here said he was offered $48k for his C2S with just over 10k on the ODO. The dealer (Connecticut area) told him they would expect it to fetch $65k. It did need new tires, but other than that, was mint. Full X-Pel, so it didn't even need a detail, 11,000 miles. $1000 for tires, $250 for web ads, $250 for marketing photos and someone's time, $10/day for lot time (moving the cars around, washing) at $450, $500 commission on the sale, figure a $30,000 payment on the location divided by 300 cars that come through there on the sales side, so $100/car/mo, and figure it sells in 45 days, so $150. Probably 1/3% interest per month on inventory, $75/mo insurance, figure $145 there. That is $2745 over 45-days. Assume I left a bunch of stuff out, so more like $4k overhead on this particular car. $53k for a $65k sale. $12k margins DO exist in certain instances; it is typically a wealthy are with little competition, on an "island" where people are too lazy to shop around or have so much money they don't care. A real marker of what a dealer makes: find out what they charge to consign a car.
Your post said trade . . . "They offered me $32,500 on trade."

Believe what you want. If one could make $12k a car on a $50 car, I would stop practicing law and stop buying hospitals and purchase some car lots.

RE: Anyone looking to sell their 997s

That said, I do have a close friend in Miami that brokers exotics. He was trying to buy wife's C2 for top dollar when visiting us a couple of weeks ago and tells me he will pay top dollar for used 911s in great shape. He does not purchase auction cars and ships a lot over seas so his offers may be pretty decent.

Anyone trying to sell a solid 997 and wanting to get a quote from him, PM and I will put you in touch with him.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:46 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

CPO is two years from the date of purchase if car is more than 4 years old. The value in CPO is that all wear items are practically new or new and all services are up to date. Then add a 2 year warranty on top of that. We paid about $2k for just a power train 2 year warranty for my wife's 2010.

The car technically is not a CPO car if you purchase it secondary (i.e., car sold a CPO in 2016 to X and you buy it from X in 2017 . . .). CPO is a car sold with specific standards at the TIME of sale. If purchase it secondary, you are just buying a car with an extended warranty with no guarantee that any aspect of it is within CPO tolerances.

Last edited by Doug H; 09-02-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:01 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

There is wide variance between different Porsche dealerships and prices of CPO offerings.

Sonic dealerships usually have really solid prices and their CPO cars can run less than the same model crap auction cars one would pull off a used lot or Carmax.

Depends on miles and the car. Some dealerships will CPO high mileage cars that are not in need of wear items to make them liquid. Price will really depend a lot on how much money the dealer had to sink in it to bring it up to spec so the key is keep looking and act quickly. People scan that national used Porsche dealership search for CPO cars and buy them up quickly when they are priced well.

Check out the following for national list of Porsche CPO offerings:

http://locator.porsche.com/ipl-custo...list.ipl?cid=2
Old 09-02-2017, 10:35 PM
4PTZERO
Racer

There is wide variance between different Porsche dealerships and prices of CPO offerings.

Sonic dealerships usually have really solid prices and their CPO cars can run less than the same model crap auction cars one would pull off a used lot or Carmax.

Depends on miles and the car. Some dealerships will CPO high mileage cars that are not in need of wear items to make them liquid. Price will really depend a lot on how much money the dealer had to sink in it to bring it up to spec so the key is keep looking and act quickly. People scan that national used Porsche dealership search for CPO cars and buy them up quickly when they are priced well.

Check out the following for national list of Porsche CPO offerings:

http://locator.porsche.com/ipl-custo...list.ipl?cid=2
Thanks Doug, appreciate the insight. I'm not really finding that these 2010+ 997.2 w/ 30k miles and CPO are anything less than low $60k, pretty much. It's possible to find mid - high 50s, but it won't be CPO and not generally not 6MT.

Quick Reply: 997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)