Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 05:52 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,102 Posts

Wonder how long it will take this dealer to come down to reality on the correct pricing. Has some cool options like seat backs in guards red and small leather items, but I don't think it is worth $12k over KBB (even though KBB isn't a great indicator for these specialty cars). That is 997 GT3 money though or close to it. Price when I initially posted was $84,960.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=911
Old 08-17-2017, 06:28 PM
kmichael
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.atlantabmw.com/used/Pors...f61e3bbcd0.htm

Has anyone seen this one in person? Looks like a great price - too great?
Old 08-17-2017, 09:21 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkhorse
Why does "Accident History" on a Carfax seem to automatically remove a car from so many people's consideration. Please share your opinions.
For me, it doesn't remove it from consideration. It does, however, put it in a different pricing category.

The reality is ANY carfax blem, be it accident, odometer discrepancy, theft, is going to be a conversation come sale time, and there will be a price adjustment. Hard documentation on damage and repairs (pictures, invoices) can really help. A phone conversation with a previous owner is better than nothing, but isn't going to help much come sale time.

Is it 5% adjustment? 20% adjustment? Depends on what exactly the carfax entry is, documentation, how good the repairs are, etc, but there is ALWAYS an adjustment to value.

I looked at a Carmax car a few months ago, 2009 Targa 4S. Relatively minor carfax incident, but the repairs were terrible... Too bad really because it was a bit of a unicorn car and priced really well, but crappy crappy bodywork. But at least the crappy work was obvious... As mentioned before, much worse is a good cosmetic layer on top of poor repairs underneath.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:20 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

This .1 looks clean & well-cared for:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto...267298006.html

2005 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet (2006 model year) this is a very well kept, well maintained car.
Was services at the Porsche dealership always.
Next service is in 5000 miles. Extensive service records.
None smoking, very clean car. New Bosch battery.
Two owners, fresh CA smog certificate and clean CA title in hand.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:57 PM
loungin
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

How about this rennlister's car? If you search his VIN on rennlist you'll find out whose it is. If I were closer I would consider it. It's got better options than the one I'm pending on.

2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S - $46,900

Mileage: 54,600 miles
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
Exterior Color: Meteor Gray
Interior Color: Black

2009 Porsche Carrera S with standard black leather interior (14-way power sport seats - heated and cooled) meteor Grey exterior with expel paint protection. This car also features sport Chrono package, Bluetooth, navigation, and Bose radio. The car has Porsche sport exhaust, PASM, a Porsche short throw shifter. Brand new Michelin pilot super sport rear tires, new water pump and 40k mike service complete.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:12 PM
acf
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I never look at KBB for Porsches, it's never right.

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Wonder how long it will take this dealer to come down to reality on the correct pricing. Has some cool options like seat backs in guards red and small leather items, but I don't think it is worth $12k over KBB (even though KBB isn't a great indicator for these specialty cars). That is 997 GT3 money though or close to it. Price when I initially posted was $84,960.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=911
Old 08-17-2017, 11:20 PM
acf
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

How does a sweet manual 997.1 Turbo coupe with adaptives and PCCB's end up at carmax?

Originally Posted by srcn
It's dirty, but it has full leather, PCCB's, Sport Chrono and Locking diff. $150k msrp. IMO it's a heck of a buy if the PPI checks out...

...though since Carmax won't let you PPI their cars you'll have to set it up ahead of time, buy the car and then return it within the 7 day window if you aren't happy with the PPI.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:43 AM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by acf
How does a sweet manual 997.1 Turbo coupe with adaptives and PCCB's end up at carmax?
Often, they pay more than any dealer is willing to offer on trade.

Maybe they seller just got tired of owning a very expensive car and needed a cheaper alternative, for whatever reason. Kids headed to college, needed to buy a house and debt to income was a problem; who knows? Maybe he/she bought his dream car but lost interest in driving/owing such a nice car? Another hobby comes along, and cars can really suck up the weekend time. Perhaps they moved to eastern North Dakota where such a car was being wasted? We almost traded our 991 C2S Aerokit cup w/13k miles in on a used 2007 Tacoma: needed a truck! Ended up selling the car to a different dealer and getting the truck, didn't look back.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:55 AM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
For me, a lot of it is just mental. I would prefer a car that hasn't had an accident and that hasn't been through that. Some of that might be the karma aspect. Another part of that is while I don't mind a front bumper being resprayed due to rock chips, I do mind one being replaced for an accident. Sometimes, a body shop will just replace the bumper cover when there is underlying damage behind it, or underneath the car that wasn't noticed. On a plastic panel though like a bumper in general, I am just less concerned. But when we start getting into a door or rear quarter panel, that has to be blended into other panels, paint match down the road might not fade or look proper. Also, on a weekend car, I might want the paint near perfect and knowing it was resprayed would be an issue for me.

Overall, not the biggest issue, and if the car was repaired properly I don't have an issue. But I do understand why it is an issue to some, and for me it can be as well.
I would have no issue with repairs, assume they were well documented and done appropriately. The price needs to be adjusted, however, to account for the issue. For a "minor" issue, probably close to 10%. I was able to get 5% of my car's value for a minor, not even fender bender level respray in a parking lot (out of control VW Bug, driver mistook the gas pedal for the brake)
Old 08-18-2017, 02:22 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Why does "Accident History" on a Carfax seem to automatically remove a car from so many people's consideration?

I am hoping for serious replies to this question, I am not talking about salvage, flood damaged, or branded titles. I am asking because IMHO:

I believe I would rather buy my desired late model Porsche with documented and well-repaired, non-structural, body damage than one with questionable performance mods or without service records.

Overall, I would think a replaced bumper cover would indicate fewer potential issues than a Gundo exhaust hack. In the first case, the work is done and I can inspect it. Considering a car with the Gundo exhaust hack, I would suspect the PO drove the car harder than normal just to hear it growl. If I were to buy it, I would have to replace the exhaust system with an expensive factory part.

A replaced headlamp and fender with an excellent paint match would concern me less than a car with an aftermarket short-shift kit, louder exhaust, cold air intake, a performance chip, and after-market lowering springs.

Porsche does an excellent job of designing well-balanced sports cars where the parts work together for maximum efficiency. There are plenty of Porsche factory performance options and parts available that are designed to work with our cars.

If after-market parts and regular service and repair don't bother you, why does well-repaired minor collision damage?

Please share your opinions. Thank you.
Sometimes I wonder if it's more out of ignorance than anything else. Most cars have suffered some sort of incident or event once they reach a few years old. Porsche treat bumper covers as pretty much expendable items these days, have done for years. The rear ones are even designed to be removed for servicing.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:39 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,060 Likes on 2,102 Posts

Originally Posted by acf
I never look at KBB for Porsches, it's never right.
What do you recommend using then? Considering at a dealer they are going to give someone KBB on trade in value. Typically not based on market value.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:22 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,331 Likes on 1,279 Posts

I'm looking for a 996/997 in the WPa area. Nothing later than an 07 or 08, or earlier than an 02 or 03. I'll be selling one of my 928s - the 85 garnet red in very good driver condition. If you have a 911 in this range, shoot me a pm.
sorry - no cabs or targas - coupes only.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:17 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Why does "Accident History" on a Carfax seem to automatically remove a car from so many people's consideration?

I am hoping for serious replies to this question, I am not talking about salvage, flood damaged, or branded titles. I am asking because IMHO:

I believe I would rather buy my desired late model Porsche with documented and well-repaired, non-structural, body damage than one with questionable performance mods or without service records.

Overall, I would think a replaced bumper cover would indicate fewer potential issues than a Gundo exhaust hack. In the first case, the work is done and I can inspect it. Considering a car with the Gundo exhaust hack, I would suspect the PO drove the car harder than normal just to hear it growl. If I were to buy it, I would have to replace the exhaust system with an expensive factory part.

A replaced headlamp and fender with an excellent paint match would concern me less than a car with an aftermarket short-shift kit, louder exhaust, cold air intake, a performance chip, and after-market lowering springs.

Porsche does an excellent job of designing well-balanced sports cars where the parts work together for maximum efficiency. There are plenty of Porsche factory performance options and parts available that are designed to work with our cars.

If after-market parts and regular service and repair don't bother you, why does well-repaired minor collision damage?

The biggest reason I wouldn't want a car with an accident is resale, too many people would skip it. I like to buy and sell private party for the most part and its already hard enough to sell a Porsche, selling one with an accident would be tough.

On top of that, if it was a bad accident, or really anything that effected more than just the bumper covers, I'd always wonder if the noise I heard or whatever was because of the accident, it would bug me, especially if I could notice any paint mismatch.

I've had friends and family members that have been in accidents that effected the suspension or the doors and had their cars repaired, most of those cars were never the same and the owners wanted to move on. Some could afford to, some could not. I don't want to buy someone else's problem.

Now, if it was just a bumper cover type of situation that was fully documented, I would consider the car as long I didn't think it would kill resale or if the discount I got was big enough to offset the discount I think I would have to make when trying to sell it.

My 2 cents.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:20 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by loungin
How about this rennlister's car? If you search his VIN on rennlist you'll find out whose it is. If I were closer I would consider it. It's got better options than the one I'm pending on.

2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S - $46,900

Mileage: 54,600 miles
Transmission: 6-Speed Manual
Exterior Color: Meteor Gray
Interior Color: Black

2009 Porsche Carrera S with standard black leather interior (14-way power sport seats - heated and cooled) meteor Grey exterior with expel paint protection. This car also features sport Chrono package, Bluetooth, navigation, and Bose radio. The car has Porsche sport exhaust, PASM, a Porsche short throw shifter. Brand new Michelin pilot super sport rear tires, new water pump and 40k mike service complete.
Where is this listed for sale?
Old 08-18-2017, 02:28 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

We think differently, see my post above about the accident side of this.

As far as 'questionable performance mods' everyone's view is different. I see the gundo hack as simply opening up the exhaust a little, in my opinion it doesn't hurt the car at all, and I don't abuse the engine just to hear the sound. If you don't like it, you can buy good used cans on ebay for $200. I have a similar feeling about the short shift kit, performance exhaust, air intake, and lowering springs = not hurting the car and its all reversible. Performance chip or ECU tune might scare me away, but that's just me, I'm not super educated on how they effect the 997 for reliability.

Now personally I prefer a 997 without an aero kit or ducktail or anything like that, so I think a car with those options devalues the car but most will think it adds value. Everyone is different, buy what you like, and what you are comfortable with. On a positive note, there is less competition to buy a car with a documented accident so you may be able to get a good deal!

Quick Reply: 997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)