Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 12:59 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

I have to admit that I'm surprised that some of us will still look just at the $$ and not what you're getting.

Huge range of quality of cars you can get at $55K for an 09 C2S, or any car someone is looking to buy at a given price.

I know because I went through about 15-20 cars before buying my own car a few years ago. On paper it is easy to say "good deal" or "bad deal" but we see on the forum the aftereffects of buying something on the lower price range of spectrum (more often than not).

A buyer who spends over $60K for the exact car they wanted was less a sucker imho than someone who saves $5K and gets a car with issues, or that doesn't have the specs or details they were looking for.

Some of the dreamers on the selling side may be asking above the market average price but they may also know they have an above average car and demanding that higher price. It is a market but these aren't stocks -- not every one of them is the same with another.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:03 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbag997
I'm patient. I have plenty of time.

I think you underestimate the demand for a clean low mileage 997.2. A black on black 09 C2S with 23k miles sold here for over $60k recently.

Regardless, I'm confident prices will go up over the next 5-7 years. If not, I still love this car too much to let it go for anything less.
it's a car, not an investment. Don't underestimate that. We go into a recession next week, this car will lose 10 K in value in the next couple of years.

I say just enjoy it for what it is, I certainly wouldn't pay 59 for it and don't know anyone who would. If it's worth that for you, just keep it and enjoy it!
Old 04-19-2017, 01:18 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Can you say sucker ?

Albeit, It was a manual. So even more rare for a 997.2.

Personally, black is my least favorite color, but if it was the right color combo. I would shell out ~60k for a clean low mileage 997.2 C2S.

I don't understand why people think these prices are ridiculous. The 997.2 is a refined masterpiece. Arguably the most balanced all-around 911 that will ever be made. There is a HIGH demand for 997's, and there is short supply. Economics 101.

To me a sucker is someone who shells out ~$60k+ for a 3,700 lb $48k Mustang with matching Fiesta interior. Not someone who picks up a classic six figure German masterpiece for damn near half price. But to each their own...
Old 04-19-2017, 01:27 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
I have to admit that I'm surprised that some of us will still look just at the $$ and not what you're getting.

Huge range of quality of cars you can get at $55K for an 09 C2S, or any car someone is looking to buy at a given price.

I know because I went through about 15-20 cars before buying my own car a few years ago. On paper it is easy to say "good deal" or "bad deal" but we see on the forum the aftereffects of buying something on the lower price range of spectrum (more often than not).

A buyer who spends over $60K for the exact car they wanted was less a sucker imho than someone who saves $5K and gets a car with issues, or that doesn't have the specs or details they were looking for.

Some of the dreamers on the selling side may be asking above the market average price but they may also know they have an above average car and demanding that higher price. It is a market but these aren't stocks -- not every one of them is the same with another.

I agree 100%.

I was just testing (hence "feeler") the market demand. It has spoken. I am a dreamer. That's fine. The car is still worth much more to me than what the "market value" is. The GT3 is the only other car I would consider, but I can also wait.

Looking at what's available these days, there really isn't anything under 60k that even remotely tickles my fancy:
  • M4/M3 = Boring, uninspiring
  • M2 = Just a smaller much uglier M4
  • Shelby 350 = $60k+ 3,700 lb Fiesta with a flat plane crank
Anything else worth looking at is well above $60k. Sports cars are dead. Period. Unless you have $100k+ budget. These 997's are the last of a dying breed. Just like the E46 M3, and normally aspirated Porsches that are all FI now.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:06 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by 996SPECticle
I suspected the same yet this is the 3rd one ive seen in the last month or two for about the same price, under $40K. (this is a theft recovery though so...)There was even a twinky like this at a P dealer CPO with 45k miles for $43K so i'm thinking people don't like this color as much as I do. 10K discount for green
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...m=131661261394
Bought my 2009 Porsche Racing Green C2S from an Atlanta dealer 3 years ago CPO with 18k at least $10K under market. I get lots of positive comments about the color since it is fairly rare and attractive to other folks besides me!
Also, seems like the demand is for black/black, which I don't get.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:09 PM
srcn
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Low mileage 997.1 Turbo w/Tiptronic at Carmax.

Black w/full black leather. No sport chrono, and has some aftermarket exhaust system on it.

https://www.carmax.com/car/13808476?...%20content=DSK
Old 04-19-2017, 03:50 PM
Darkhorse
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Paid more for less to avoid green and black

Originally Posted by eagle1960
Bought my 2009 Porsche Racing Green C2S from an Atlanta dealer 3 years ago CPO with 18k at least $10K under market. I get lots of positive comments about the color since it is fairly rare and attractive to other folks besides me!
I shopped hard for a 997.2 S or C4S 6MT Cabriolet over the last year or so. I saw a ton of black ones or sale. I found a very nice, highly optioned Green with tan but just couldn't pull the trigger on the color. I eventually paid $5K more for a gray 2009 C4S with fewer options, but almost all the options I wanted. I can always buy power seats with lumbar if these make me crazy. I did not want black or green, and figured I can't repaint.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:00 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Personally, black is my least favorite color, but if it was the right color combo. I would shell out ~60k for a clean low mileage 997.2 C2S.

I don't understand why people think these prices are ridiculous. The 997.2 is a refined masterpiece. Arguably the most balanced all-around 911 that will ever be made. There is a HIGH demand for 997's, and there is short supply. Economics 101.

To me a sucker is someone who shells out ~$60k+ for a 3,700 lb $48k Mustang with matching Fiesta interior. Not someone who picks up a classic six figure German masterpiece for damn near half price. But to each their own...
I agree 100%.

I was just testing (hence "feeler") the market demand. It has spoken. I am a dreamer. That's fine. The car is still worth much more to me than what the "market value" is. The GT3 is the only other car I would consider, but I can also wait.

Looking at what's available these days, there really isn't anything under 60k that even remotely tickles my fancy:
  • M4/M3 = Boring, uninspiring
  • M2 = Just a smaller much uglier M4
  • Shelby 350 = $60k+ 3,700 lb Fiesta with a flat plane crank
Anything else worth looking at is well above $60k. Sports cars are dead. Period. Unless you have $100k+ budget. These 997's are the last of a dying breed. Just like the E46 M3, and normally aspirated Porsches that are all FI now.
This!

I saw a $138K Targa 4S sell for $53K. It was friggin gorgeous. 60K miles but that's Audi S3 territory.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:06 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by eagle1960
Racing Green is beautiful - underappreciated too.
Too bad so many came with sand beige interior. The few with cocoa brown look amazing.

Same goes for Macadamia, Nordic Gold and Malachite Green.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:11 PM
zechunique
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can any of you comment on PDK improvements through the 997.2 range? I seem to recall that the first year PDK got an upgrade, but not sure if that was at all prior to the 991 transition (which I know was an improvement itself). Did the later 997.2 PDK get any improvements?
Old 04-19-2017, 07:04 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

Albeit, It was a manual. So even more rare for a 997.2... I would shell out ~60k for a clean low mileage 997.2 C2S....I don't understand why people think these prices are ridiculous. The 997.2 is a refined masterpiece. ...There is a HIGH demand for 997's, and there is short supply. Economics 101.
No one is arguing the desirability of a 997.2, just your pricing perspective. Yes, it's low miles and clean. And a color you find desirable... But it is by no means a rare or ultra-desireable 997.2. Things like Aerokit, manual transmission, unique PTS colors, very tastefully and highly optioned cars, Targas, 4S's, etc can significantly bump value.

I'm not trying to be negative about your car... It looks nice, checks most of the basic boxes, and would be an awesome very clean (but still PDK) 997.2 at $50,000. At $59K, it will take someone who loves it more than you to overpay significantly just because they can't live without your particular color combo?
Old 04-19-2017, 07:14 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
No one is arguing the desirability of a 997.2, just your pricing perspective. Yes, it's low miles and clean. And a color you find desirable... But it is by no means a rare or ultra-desireable 997.2. Things like Aerokit, manual transmission, unique PTS colors, very tastefully and highly optioned cars, Targas, 4S's, etc can significantly bump value.

I'm not trying to be negative about your car... It looks nice, checks most of the basic boxes, and would be an awesome very clean (but still PDK) 997.2 at $50,000. At $59K, it will take someone who loves it more than you to overpay significantly just because they can't live without your particular color combo?

No argument here. Like I said, to each their own. Personally, the quintessential 911 is a C2S. Rear wheel drive. Light weight. Normally aspirated flat 6. No unnecessary weight adders with clean classic lines.

I'm sure they are others who feel the same, and others who disagree
Old 04-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

No offense but you're an idiot - the Shelby GT350 comes equipped with a 8,250 rpm 526hp flat plane crank n/a masterpiece of an engine, stunning looks, excellent suspension and easily one of the top 10 greatest sports coupes made in the last 25 years. Let me know when the Germans offer something on this level. I wouldn't hold my breath. Why do you think all the gear heads in Germany are begging Ford to export this car? They're stuck with that neat turbo M4 instead.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:52 PM
jakeg
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Getting back on track with 997 dealz 😜 here is a well priced (IMO) '12 C4S that looks gorgeous in pics. It's OBO as well.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332181806638
Old 04-19-2017, 09:09 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Para82
No offense but you're an idiot - the Shelby GT350 comes equipped with a 8,250 rpm 526hp flat plane crank n/a masterpiece of an engine, stunning looks, excellent suspension and easily one of the top 10 greatest sports coupes made in the last 25 years. Let me know when the Germans offer something on this level. I wouldn't hold my breath. Why do you think all the gear heads in Germany are begging Ford to export this car? They're stuck with that neat turbo M4 instead.
With a response like that, you must own one...

I wasn't impressed at all. Seat sits high like a truck. Clutch way too light. Gearbox is meh. You can feel the 3,700 lbs, albeit, I admit they do a decent job masking the weight with the suspension tune. The interior is just way too Fiesta for me. I don't care if they put a Ferrari V12 under the hood. It's overhyped, and overpriced. Unless you just want to go fast at the track. Then it's a bargain. I would pick up a Golf R before I ever dropped $60k on a fast Ford Fiesta. But again, to each their own.

Quick Reply: 997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)