Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 02:16 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
That GTS is a true unicorn. The Turbo is not. Both are bad ***.
Yeah, the Turbo is a little heavy, but that engine! I would prefer a '07 6MT, but that is just me. It needs a suspension upgrade.

With that said, as much as I loved my 997 platforms (I probably had the most fun in my 06 club coupe, as it was just such a special car), I recently picked up a 981 CS manual with tune, buckets, and full suspension work (GT3+GT4 parts wherever they would fit, Tarrett Monoballs, upgraded subframe, Motons, and GT2 carbon buckets (997 version). Any desire to own a 997 has pretty much vanished in terms of driving pleasure. This car is incredibly agile and the cornering makes a stock GT3 look pedestrian. We still have a 911 in the stable, mostly so that my wife can get the kids to school and still drive a fun car, but there is no question what is going to be seeing the track days this weekend. Cornering around town is so darned fun: it makes every second in normal traffic a real pleasure. It just goes to show what these cars are capable of if upgraded in the right way. This thing is basically a streetable clubsport in terms of suspension.

With that said, I still love the club coupe, but for different reasons. The color is bad-***, and the shape is classic. If I had the funds, I would upgrade it with a front spoiler, ducktail, and better suspension as well, but it would take much more than that to bring it to the level of the Cayman in the corners. It is crazy that the Cayman, with low mileage, didn't even cost me $50k, and I have all of these original parts too. it is going to be a joy to drive every nice weather day! Point of the story: don't write off the right Cayman if you don't need 4 seats! Sure, I wish it had a bigger engine, but it will be making 370hp once I get catless race headers installed, which is enough. The platform could easily handle the 3.8L X51 that we see in some of the upgraded 981s out there.
The following users liked this post:
Doug H (12-02-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 11:20 AM
8Lug
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 403 Posts

Just to Chime in on the 997 GTS vs TT debate, I've owned both at the same time. I spent 2 years looking for the perfect GTS and bought one once I found it even though I already owned a 08 TT. My thought process was that I would have the opportunity to drive both, and make an unbiased decision about which was more fun to drive. Both cars were worth the same amount of money so I had zero incentive to dump one over the other. I kind of assumed that I would prefer the GTS better since I'm more of a purist and like naturally aspirated, rear wheel drive cars. I also liked the updated PCM of the GTS. The GTS was a spectacular car, indeed. But it lacked the excitement and drama of the Turbo which is the car I ended up keeping. Those who say the TT is mostly a zero to 60 car have probably never driven one on twisty mountain roads. The power the TT puts down is simply amazing, and that power is just as exhilarating and usable when rocketing you out of an apex on a mountain road curve as it is in a straight line. The TT is a complete super car. The handling is superb, even if not as pure as that of the lighter GTS. Yes, the GTS is more of a scalpel and sublime in the twisties. But in my opinion, it's advantage in the road feel department did not make up for the deficit it had in power, which made it a less exiting car overall than the TT. Again, this is just my unbiased opinion. Can't go wrong with either car but you really have to drive both extensively in order to learn and appreciate each car's character and make an informed decision about which is right for you.
The following 3 users liked this post by 8Lug:
Doug H (12-02-2019), JAAM (12-02-2019), Vincent713 (12-03-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 11:57 AM
Redrag
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

This car is interesting. https://www.porschemechanicsburg.com...2d115f741a.htm
Old 12-02-2019, 12:32 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Redrag
156,000 miles. That's actually pretty awesome and with pdk going strong.. The interior actually looks pretty dang nice, especially for 156,000 miles.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:40 PM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

I'll be driving right through Carlisle this Friday. If anyone wants me to take a look at it in person please let me know.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:48 PM
GPappy
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 81 Posts

Pretty close to the car I am watching for. Would prefer a manual transmission and a few less miles but it is tempting.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:30 PM
Redrag
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GPappy
Pretty close to the car I am watching for. Would prefer a manual transmission and a few less miles but it is tempting.
Carfax is saying one owner. To me it looks like two. Serviced at Porsche dealerships. Might be worth looking into.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:24 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,764 Likes on 1,483 Posts

...The GTS was a spectacular car, indeed. But it lacked the excitement and drama of the Turbo which is the car I ended up keeping. Those who say the TT is mostly a zero to 60 car have probably never driven one on twisty mountain roads. The power the TT puts down is simply amazing, and that power is just as exhilarating and usable when rocketing you out of an apex on a mountain road curve as it is in a straight line. The TT is a complete super car. The handling is superb, even if not as pure as that of the lighter GTS....
Perfectly put...

I never understood the price drama of the GTS that puts it in Turbo territory... While I love some of the GTS interiors, I'll take performance over alcantara any day, and it is much easier to tweak the handling of a Turbo to GTS (or GT3) territory than to tweak the power of a GTS to anywhere near Turbo territory.

It is just damn hard to 'upgrade' out of a Turbo into anything but another Turbo.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:54 PM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 8Lug
Just to Chime in on the 997 GTS vs TT debate, I've owned both at the same time. I spent 2 years looking for the perfect GTS and bought one once I found it even though I already owned a 08 TT. My thought process was that I would have the opportunity to drive both, and make an unbiased decision about which was more fun to drive. Both cars were worth the same amount of money so I had zero incentive to dump one over the other. I kind of assumed that I would prefer the GTS better since I'm more of a purist and like naturally aspirated, rear wheel drive cars. I also liked the updated PCM of the GTS. The GTS was a spectacular car, indeed. But it lacked the excitement and drama of the Turbo which is the car I ended up keeping. Those who say the TT is mostly a zero to 60 car have probably never driven one on twisty mountain roads. The power the TT puts down is simply amazing, and that power is just as exhilarating and usable when rocketing you out of an apex on a mountain road curve as it is in a straight line. The TT is a complete super car. The handling is superb, even if not as pure as that of the lighter GTS. Yes, the GTS is more of a scalpel and sublime in the twisties. But in my opinion, it's advantage in the road feel department did not make up for the deficit it had in power, which made it a less exiting car overall than the TT. Again, this is just my unbiased opinion. Can't go wrong with either car but you really have to drive both extensively in order to learn and appreciate each car's character and make an informed decision about which is right for you.
Well said. I also had the same dilemma and decided to let the GTS go. I've always wanted a GTS so that's the reason I bought it. Being a low mileage car I couldn't really use it for daily. The Turbo is a 09 so it's more special so I let the GTS go. Picked up a clean C4S after though. The 997 is just a great platform. The current price certainly supports that.

Old 12-03-2019, 02:14 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Perfectly put...

I never understood the price drama of the GTS that puts it in Turbo territory... While I love some of the GTS interiors, I'll take performance over alcantara any day, and it is much easier to tweak the handling of a Turbo to GTS (or GT3) territory than to tweak the power of a GTS to anywhere near Turbo territory.

It is just damn hard to 'upgrade' out of a Turbo into anything but another Turbo.
A 997 turbo with PSS10's (manual of course) and upgraded exhaust/GT2 intercoolers was pretty much the best damn car I have ever driven. Intoxicating, no doubt
Old 12-03-2019, 02:45 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by hexagone
Eh, not really. Unless mileage matters to you (which in my opinion, these cars need to be driven regularly) ~50-75k mile 997.2 base carreras can be had for that much - and are much more car.
Originally Posted by Doug H
156,000 miles. That's actually pretty awesome and with pdk going strong.. The interior actually looks pretty dang nice, especially for 156,000 miles.

We don't know if the PDKs been replaced already. I'd bet $50 it has been with that kind of mileage. The issue is many people that would buy this car would do so because of budgetary constraints. But I'd be so nervous about just when something major is going to fail.

It would be fun to see the service history on it to see what's actually happened to a 156k mile 911.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:28 PM
ailcin
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

evidently i can no longer send PM- can you call me regarding this car 216-570-9533
Old 12-04-2019, 11:15 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
We don't know if the PDKs been replaced already. I'd bet $50 it has been with that kind of mileage. The issue is many people that would buy this car would do so because of budgetary constraints. But I'd be so nervous about just when something major is going to fail.

It would be fun to see the service history on it to see what's actually happened to a 156k mile 911.
The engine was replaced under warranty at 50k miles. I'm sure they replaced it with a rebuilt. That's what Porsche does.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:08 PM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
The engine was replaced under warranty at 50k miles. I'm sure they replaced it with a rebuilt. That's what Porsche does.
Do you mean the PDK? I had my engine replaced in my car by Porsche and it was replaced with a brand new engine.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:33 PM
OvertonAutomotive
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Buying a car. Can anyone identify the blue tube is in this photo from the inspection?
asking here because there are a lot of people on this thread and it is about a 997 GT3 I'm picking up.
Thanks

Quick Reply: 997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)