Sponsored by:

Lowering Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 11:31 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by fbfisher
I saw a thread recently (not sure if it was on RL or 6speed) that warned against using lowering springs without LSD also installed. Implication was that SPASM includes LSD, and using lowering springs without LSD unbalances the suspension and could lead to bad things. Thoughts?
Bunch of BS

Plenty of PCA racers and DE guys run Carrera S cars lowered with no problem. My Carrera GTS was real low running on Bilstein B16 Damptronics and my stock LSD was shot...totally gone and I had no issues tracking the car.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:08 AM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

"Every Eibach Pro-Kit is designed and tested by our suspension engineers and performance driving professionals, to deliver aggressive good looks and high performance handling, without ever compromising safety or ride quality. By using our proprietary, progressive spring design, Pro-Kit provides the ultimate balance to take your passion for driving to a whole new level."

Sounds great, because I want the same factory feel with PASM off. Can someone confirm:

1. Ride quality remains like stock.
2. Spring rate and ride height is the same as the TechArt

Thanks,

1. Every single report that I've read from someone that had either the TechArts or Eibachs installed says that the ride stays the same as OEM or actually, in most cases, slightly better!

2. Ride height is the same with Eibachs and TechArts. After all the searching and reading about both, it seems that Eibach is pretty open regarding the specs of their springs, but TechArt isn't. I haven't been able to find a single place that lists the spring rates for the TechArts.

The guy from Champion Motorsports (very reputable and knowledgeable Porsche place where I'm having mine installed), told me "the Eibach and the TechArts are the same". He doesn't sell either brand so he didn't have any motivation to favor either.

Originally Posted by gopirates
I'm on this path too. I'm leaning towards the TechArts with 7 and 15 mm spacers. Does anyone have a ball park on the total labor involved? I also have read an alignment is recommended as part of this as well.
I got 2 quotes from 2 very good Porsche places here in South Florida. One of them quoted $1500 and the other quoted $850. Both included alignment, and in both cases I was providing the springs. You can guess which one I went with.

Last edited by ATSR; 10-29-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:42 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by ATSR
1. Every single report that I've read from someone that had either the TechArts or Eibachs installed says that the ride stays the same as OEM or actually, in most cases, slightly better!

2. Ride height is the same with Eibachs and TechArts. After all the searching and reading about both, it seems that Eibach is pretty open regarding the specs of their springs, but TechArt isn't. I haven't been able to find a single place that lists the spring rates for the TechArts.

The guy from Champion Motorsports (very reputable and knowledgeable Porsche place where I'm having mine installed), told me "the Eibach and the TechArts are the same". He doesn't sell either brand so he didn't have any motivation to favor either.

I got 2 quotes from 2 very good Porsche places here in South Florida. One of them quoted $1500 and the other quoted $850. Both included alignment, and in both cases I was providing the springs. You can guess which one I went with.
I know which place quoted you the more expensive price (I think). Can't wait to see your car. Post pics when you get it back!
Old 10-30-2015, 11:38 AM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by awrryan
I know which place quoted you the more expensive price (I think). Can't wait to see your car. Post pics when you get it back!
I'm having them done as we speak!
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2015, 03:40 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

...I purchased the Eibachs from here (no affiliation):

http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/eib-7217-140.html...
Thanks for the links, I just did the same.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:54 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

I'm having them done as we speak!
Sweet! How did it come out?
Old 10-30-2015, 05:54 PM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the links, I just did the same.
No gulp required. You are going to love it. I had never modified a car before and really can't believe how much better the car looks - with no penalty in ride. The odd scrape is a very small price to pay...
Old 10-30-2015, 08:50 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by awrryan
Sweet! How did it come out?
Here's a preview...
Attached Images  
Old 10-30-2015, 09:31 PM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Beautiful. How is the ride?
Old 10-30-2015, 10:33 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jcsomerv
Beautiful. How is the ride?
Thx!

The ride is unquestionably better. When going over bumps or rough surfaces it feels smoother without losing any responsiveness. I'm still in a bit of a shock how much better everything feels and looks!
Old 10-30-2015, 11:00 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

that looks AMAZING. very tempting.

Here's a preview...
Old 10-30-2015, 11:16 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a preview...
looks fantastic, even the 5 spokes look so much better!

Does your car have PASM/SPASM/or neither?
Old 10-31-2015, 12:23 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Here's a preview...
Your car looks amazing!! Yes. It's hard to describe how much better the ride is. To me, it rides not at all more harsh than it did with stock springs. Tom explained to me that, since it doesn't really bounce around as much, that may contribute to the smoother ride. I think it's hard to describe that certain bumps that I'm used to going over are smoother than before. More pics whenever you can!!
Old 10-31-2015, 02:38 AM
dasdman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That stance does look awesome. Pulled the trigger and ordered springs...been debating for a couple of weeks. Still undecided on spacers....ugh, so many options. Although, these are the fun kinds of decisions to make in life!!
Old 10-31-2015, 03:14 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by dasdman
That stance does look awesome. Pulled the trigger and ordered springs...been debating for a couple of weeks. Still undecided on spacers....ugh, so many options. Although, these are the fun kinds of decisions to make in life!!
The drop tends to tuck the top of the wheels further into the well so you need spacers to pull it all together. I never understood why there's so much hand wringing about spacers. Both the GT3 and GT3RS come with spacers from the factory so how bad can it be? Just be sure to get the longer bolts to go along with it.

Quick Reply: Lowering Car