Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 06:39 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

H&R lowering springs and no problems. It is low but the road to and from my work is nice and flat so I don't have a problem with clearance.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:35 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

The tech arts are similar to row pasm spring or row spasm springs? Just curious.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:54 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

My understanding is that there is no difference between US and ROW suspensions on the 997. Only different suspension options. Base, PASM and Sport PASM. My understanding is that PASM was available on the base Carrera. Not sure about sport PASM. I think sport PASM was only available on the carrera S. Base Carrera sits the highest. PASM sits 10mm lower. Sport PASM sits 10mm lower than regular PASM (20mm lower than base carrera).
Old 10-26-2015, 12:22 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw a thread recently (not sure if it was on RL or 6speed) that warned against using lowering springs without LSD also installed. Implication was that SPASM includes LSD, and using lowering springs without LSD unbalances the suspension and could lead to bad things. Thoughts?
Old 10-26-2015, 12:38 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by chuck911
"...I think, if you want better handling then by all means pursue that. With a vengeance. And the ride height you get is the ride height you get. Never the other way around.
Thanks, I needed that.
Old 10-26-2015, 05:21 AM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by fbfisher
I saw a thread recently (not sure if it was on RL or 6speed) that warned against using lowering springs without LSD also installed. Implication was that SPASM includes LSD, and using lowering springs without LSD unbalances the suspension and could lead to bad things. Thoughts?
SharkWerks knows a thing or two about mods and handling and racing and says nothing about needing LSD else you get an unbalanced suspension... Sounds like Forum FUD to me ...

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/porsch...09-2012-a.html
Old 10-26-2015, 10:24 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 260 Posts

I have H&R and I don't have any issues. I love them!!!
Old 10-27-2015, 05:41 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

great stances guys.

Originally Posted by Ynot
H&R lowering springs and no problems. It is low but the road to and from my work is nice and flat so I don't have a problem with clearance.

Originally Posted by gonz911
H&R Springs - no regrets and no issues with roads in San Antonio, TX. Also running 15mm rears spacers, 5mm fronts.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:16 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm on PSS9s and have lowered the car pretty conservatively (certainly not to the point where I'm tucking tire like Daohaus). I haven't had problems scraping anywhere, but I have had to enter some steep driveways diagonally on occasion.

The road quality around here is pretty atrocious, so I'm more worried about potholes and frost-heaves.

Set to full soft, they're not bad. I can lower the car another inch, but that's too low for my tastes.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:16 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an '06 C2S Cab, dropped about 1" on Bilstein B16 DampTronic coilovers, and RSS spacers (7mm front, 15mm rear).

I definitely don't think a 1" drop is too low. Honestly, I've always thought that our 'stock' ride heights are so high specifically to accommodate the need for snow chains when required.

Yes, sometimes if I'm not paying close attention when pulling into or out of a poorly transitioned parking lot, I can scrape my chin a little on the floor. But I mostly pay attention, and little under-bumper skuffs aren't a super big deal to me. It does make me pause at the frequent thought of lowering it a little more - but I think an inch is totally fine.

Others have mentioned it does make the ride a little more stiff - or bumpy feeling. I haven't had that experience myself, but also I am using the TPC Racing DSC module, and that may be a factor. Usually I'm on the 2nd setting in PASM, but if it gets obnoxious on a particularly rough road, the 1st setting definitely tames the bumps.

Since you've got the coilovers already, I'd say just drop the car, let it settle for a month or so, and then re-evaluate. My guess is you'll love it, and wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Not sure if your coilovers are compatible with the PASM control in your car? If so, consider also adding the TPC Racing DSC Module too. It's really good.

Stock Height:

With Coilovers & 1" Drop:

Last edited by Comanche_699; 10-31-2015 at 04:26 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:11 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

If you want to go with a 1 inch drop, another alternative are the Eibach springs. The TechArts are actually made by Eibach, and based on all the reading I've been doing on multiple threads, they seem to be exactly the same. AFAIK the only difference between the 2 is the price.

Post #66 of the following thread shows how it looks like lowered with the Eibachs:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post12566396

I purchased the Eibachs from here (no affiliation):

http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/eib-7217-140.html

I will have mine installed on Friday.
Old 10-28-2015, 01:06 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by ATSR
If you want to go with a 1 inch drop, another alternative are the Eibach springs. The TechArts are actually made by Eibach, and based on all the reading I've been doing on multiple threads, they seem to be exactly the same. AFAIK the only difference between the 2 is the price.

Post #66 of the following thread shows how it looks like lowered with the Eibachs:

Nice! Congrats! We definitely need to meet up to compare our cars. Where are you getting them installed?
Old 10-28-2015, 01:25 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
Nice! Congrats! We definitely need to meet up to compare our cars. Where are you getting them installed?
Thanks! All your threads (and the pics of your car) contributed A LOT

I'm also following your recommendation of having them installed at Champion Motorsports. Tom is great. I have an appointment for Friday at 9am.

Also going with Adaptec hub centric spacers 10mm front / 15mm rear.

We definitely have to meet up!
Old 10-28-2015, 09:03 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ATSR

"Every Eibach Pro-Kit is designed and tested by our suspension engineers and performance driving professionals, to deliver aggressive good looks and high performance handling, without ever compromising safety or ride quality. By using our proprietary, progressive spring design, Pro-Kit provides the ultimate balance to take your passion for driving to a whole new level."

Sounds great, because I want the same factory feel with PASM off. Can someone confirm:

1. Ride quality remains like stock.
2. Spring rate and ride height is the same as the TechArt

Thanks,

Old 10-28-2015, 09:10 PM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm on this path too. I'm leaning towards the TechArts with 7 and 15 mm spacers. Does anyone have a ball park on the total labor involved? I also have read an alignment is recommended as part of this as well.

Quick Reply: Lowering Car