Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you drive your cars in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 10:32 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I drive in rain but If I see in the forecast that the whole day will be terrible I will not take the Porsche to work. Its not a daily driver but m1- 2 days a week i drive it to work. Reason for not driving in the rain is not that I am afraid of the rain itself but here in Warsaw the tarmac is crap in terms of grip. The 305:s at the rear will spin on second gear on pure throttle in the dry on some roads. In wet conditions it is 10 times worse. Add to this deep puddles with water.
Even if I manage to stop I will sooner or later be rear ended....
Old 09-14-2015, 10:47 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Light rain, I don't care I will drive it but last week they called for 1-2 inches of rain and my drive home involves some large lakes on the road once it really pours so I take my Grand Wagoneer. Same with snow, a light shower, i'll take it, any accumulation I will drive the GW, more for the morons on the road than because of the car. It's a great car but it is just a car
Old 09-14-2015, 11:27 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 270 Posts

I can't believe this is a real question:roll eyes:

Tom
Old 09-14-2015, 11:33 AM
hot nikon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Afraid to take your Porsche out in the rain?

Take the panties off, be a man.

I didn't say snow, hail, icing conditions.

It is a conveyance, nothing more.

I have an acquaintance that just spent around $1k on a german kitchen knife set, which he doesn't use.

Doesn't want to dull the knives, so he uses a drawer full of "Happy Meal" knives.

Whatever.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:12 PM
Omnigeek
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I picked up my new-to-me 997.2 C2S Saturday. Cringed when I saw the forecast in the morning showing solid rain but I have to say, it was FUN to drive it in the rain. I got to drive it with the top down yesterday when I finished my trip home but I actually enjoyed the wet drive. Of course, I'll probably opt for my Expedition instead if I have hail or firehose type rain predicted but I love the way it handles even in a moderately heavy downpour.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:36 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
I can't believe this is a real question:roll eyes:

Tom
Its not. The whole point is to let us know the OP has BOTH a Porsche AND a Ferrari. But that's a little gauche even for a guy with a Ferrari so he slides in the rain thing. Works like a charm.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:34 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If its raining - I take the truck. Since I live in Florida - and I like to drive the car - yes... I drive in the rain. Often. Every day there is going to be a shower.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:14 PM
motopix
Pro

How else is my car going to get washed?
Old 09-14-2015, 07:53 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 361 Likes on 223 Posts

EVERY PORSCHE OWNER in the Northwest US drives in the rain...
Seriously it rains like 54% of the year here..... Portland / Seattle Area.

Any 4s owner that says they don't drive their car in the rain needs to get the car taken away! Pronto

These are not Ferrari's and unlike Lotus where they say in the owners manual small leaks are normal the german cars can handle rain

Now Snow I wouldnt because I have truck as a daily.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:55 PM
hot nikon
Racer

Originally Posted by motopix
How else is my car going to get washed?

This is the correct answer!
Old 09-14-2015, 08:59 PM
hot nikon
Racer

Originally Posted by chuck911
Its not. The whole point is to let us know the OP has BOTH a Porsche AND a Ferrari. But that's a little gauche even for a guy with a Ferrari so he slides in the rain thing. Works like a charm.

Does gauche rhyme with douche?
Old 09-14-2015, 09:13 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Do you drive your cars in the rain?

Originally Posted by jsalah
1986/7 through 1998. Elementary through UT Austin (class of '98). Was down there not too long ago... used to visit more frequently (couple times a year) but my folks have recently moved up here to be closer to me and their grandchildren...

Though i wasn't born there, I will always consider Austin "home" in a way. I love that place... (But it certainly is changing, isn't it...)
My brother graduated UT in 98 and I graduated from UT in 2000. Austin is great and growing like crazy, my only complaint is Mopac is under construction and very congested.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:21 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jsalah
Right. Common sense. Little rain, no biggie. Full blown thunderstorm, take another car. BTW, Philster, I work in Philly and live across the bridge in south Jersey. Looking for some laid back Porsche folks for the occasional fair-weather (ha!) drive, cup of coffee etc. Not racing. Just driving. Let me know if you do that kind of thing.
I am in Swedesboro, NJ (near Mullica Hill), was working in Mount Laurel and got to know a bunch of you rich Moorestown folks. I just left a job in Center City and will be working in Malvern, PA now.

If ya ever wanna meet up, head south and follow my lead through Maryland and Chester County, PA. I actually live around some very good NJ roads, but nothing around here can hold a candle to PA roads, and some of those roads have great little taverns, and you'll see Porsches of various and interesting vintages and old Ferraris on the side of the road waiting for a good run, or all parked up at a tavern, especially if there is a good golf tourney or other sporting event on.

Hit me up on PM (I'm posting this for any other Philly area people, too.)

Maryland, in/around the Chesapeake, offers a nice option, too. Run through PA, shoot down to MD and have a drink at a dockside bar. Good times.

Cheers,

Phil
Old 09-14-2015, 11:47 PM
braymond52
Instructor

I'd rather not drive it in the rain because midnight blue is a b**** to clean. But - I live near Seattle and if you're unwilling to drive in the rain the car is going to sit in the garage a lot.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:05 AM
motopix
Pro

Originally Posted by braymond52
I'd rather not drive it in the rain because midnight blue is a b**** to clean.
Probably as bad as black. You just have to learn to let it go.
At least that's what I tell myself. The dents and scratches help; it actually looks worse when clean.

Quick Reply: Do you drive your cars in the rain?