DSC Sport - Tuning Software Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 11:18 AM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

So as we near the release date of the software, I thought it would be a good idea to get a list of names and emails together. This way we can try to get the software out to those who have a keen interest in it as quickly as possible. If you'd like to make sure you're among the first to receive the software, send me a PM with your full name and email address.

Once the software is available I'll send over an email with a direct file or download instructions (we haven't decided exactly how we are going to release it yet), as well as any necessary information/instruction.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
So as we near the release date of the software, I thought it would be a good idea to get a list of names and emails together. This way we can try to get the software out to those who have a keen interest in it as quickly as possible. If you'd like to make sure you're among the first to receive the software, send me a PM with your full name and email address.

Once the software is available I'll send over an email with a direct file or download instructions (we haven't decided exactly how we are going to release it yet), as well as any necessary information/instruction.
I'm in...
Old 09-23-2015, 06:49 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

In.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:20 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

what sort of cable is used for the hook up?
Old 11-05-2015, 09:36 AM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

USB. I'm not in front of the unit at the moment so I can't remember what connection is on there (micro or the larger usb like on a Garmin, for example).

The software includes a driver for serial to usb communications. You chose a serial port in the software.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:51 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

cool, thanks.

looks like the larger hexagonal shaped plug.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:26 AM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The DSC module is fitted with a mini USB port; the same you would use on a GoPro. See below for reference.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:18 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

great, thank you.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:50 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

guys, this was an absolute game changer for me.

I did not care for a stiffer ride on the normal setting, while I liked the better performance on modes 2 and 3. Given that my car is a daily driver, it made me want to sell the module as i just wasn't happy with the ride quality in normal.

so, I used this software to put in 2000ma from 0-10% with 800 fr and 750 rear at 100% and let it extrapolate the rest.

Finally I can have it all. I didn't mess with the G tables as that seems more complicated, but this adjustability is fantastic.

question for DSC guys. Can I mess with settings while the box is plugged in to the car (obviously with the key out)?

Thanks so much for this software, it really makes this mod worthwhile to me.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:04 PM
motopix
Pro

Interesting. I was very happy with the DSC, it was WAY softer than stock PASM with Bilstein Damptronics in mode 1, but I also wanted an even softer setting on #1 (softer damping but less rebound for less of a bouncy feel). I had talked to Tom and he said it was doable before this software was released and I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Thanks for the details on your mode 1 settings. I'm very happy with the stock DSC mode 2 but I'm going to mess with mode 3 when I get a chance.

What shocks do you have?
Old 11-05-2015, 09:12 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by motopix
Interesting. I was very happy with the DSC, it was WAY softer than stock PASM with Bilstein Damptronics in mode 1, but I also wanted an even softer setting on #1 (softer damping but less rebound for less of a bouncy feel). I had talked to Tom and he said it was doable before this software was released and I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Thanks for the details on your mode 1 settings. I'm very happy with the stock DSC mode 2 but I'm going to mess with mode 3 when I get a chance.

What shocks do you have?
I have stock 997TT shocks. I found the DSC mode 1 settings pretty stiff. Less bouncy and wiggle for sure, but also pretty stiff on initial dampening. TPC did some custom work for me and sent me a box with new hardware, but I still found it a bit stiff.

Odd that you found the 1st setting on the DSC to be softer.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:16 PM
motopix
Pro

It was a huge difference in mode 1, stock vs. DSC with Damptronics.
Stock mode 1 was a slam-fest. Stock mode 2 was unusable.

Makes it obvious going forward as we share DSC tuning that we should state the car and shocks on it.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:46 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

I did not care for a stiffer ride on the normal setting, while I liked the better performance on modes 2 and 3. Given that my car is a daily driver, it made me want to sell the module as i just wasn't happy with the ride quality in normal.

so, I used this software to put in 2000ma from 0-10% with 800 fr and 750 rear at 100% and let it extrapolate the rest.

Finally I can have it all. I didn't mess with the G tables as that seems more complicated, but this adjustability is fantastic.

question for DSC guys. Can I mess with settings while the box is plugged in to the car (obviously with the key out)?

Quadcammer, I have the same feeling as you. With my Damptronics, monoball top mounts and RSS stage 2 suspension setup, the handling is way better than stock, but I too would like a softer #1 ride. Ideally, I'd like #1 softer, #2 like my current 1, and then #3 for track or smooth mountain road carving (although it's more likely that would be done in #2 with #3 being a track setting).

Is that essentially what you've created, and if so, would you be willing to share your revised programming files?

I haven't dug into it yet, but the initial video tutorial from a month or do ago looked pretty complicated and I don't want to mess anything up (obviously I'd back-up my current stock settings first). Thanks.
Old 11-05-2015, 11:19 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

The G table, brake and speed pages seems to be the same for all 3 settings for me, with only shock calibration varying. Accel, steering and velocity unused. Does that sound right from you all? 997.1 C2S

There are a few of us tracking this in NZ and having some car/corner predictability issues. What happens when you exceed the table's 1 G in any direction?

Also trying to get my head around the G-force thresholds settings. My head is still square....
Old 11-06-2015, 11:30 AM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Quadcammer

Quadcammer,

Glad to hear you're enjoying and already making great use of the software!

Tom and I had a discussion with Mike this morning regarding some of the changes you've made. It turns out that for the Bilstein dampers, 1500 is actually full soft (The Tractive DDAs can go as soft as 2000 due to their wider range and higher sensitivity, but that's a discussion for another time).

One of the great things about this software is that there is no wrong way to tune your set up with it. However, Mike did have some things for you to try.

Because 1500 is actually full soft, what you're doing when you change your "full soft" to 2000 is actually widening and sliding the entire scale and effectively limiting/altering the input range. At the original 1500-500 scale your 20% will be 1313. If you change the scale to 2000-750, your 20% value is now 1766 (full soft).

Now if you're happy with these settings and its achieving the effects that you want, then by all means it's a great set up for you. However, if you'd like to experience a softer ride when driving with lower inputs, yet maintain the ability to really lean on the car as you would in the original programming, Mike suggested playing around with the Max Rate located on the bottom of the G Table page (pictured below). He said to try to increase the rate to 60 or 70% and see how that feels; if it makes it worse go lower (he's been working with a new version of the software that does not utilize this feature, so he doesn't remember if you need to increase or decrease the value to achieve a softer ride).

Also, we would advise not to use this tuning method in modes 2 or 3 on the track, as it may delay the reaction time of the dampers and soften the rate at high speeds, which could be dangerous.

I would save your settings, play around with the Max Rate and if the results aren't desirable, then just reload the settings you have now.

Quick Reply: DSC Sport - Tuning Software Discussion Thread