DSC Sport - Tuning Software Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 12:03 PM
Croc999
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

it's been released.

What's in the new update:
• User-friendly custom parameters for Launch Control (applicable vehicles)
• Minor bug fixes
• Camaro Support
• RestoMod Support
Old 02-24-2017, 07:40 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

So do we just go to the dsc site and download the new softwares? Croc what immediately strikes you with the new softwares?
Old 05-17-2017, 11:08 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

2009 C2S 114K miles

Just an update: In short I am still very excited about this software and I really love my ride now. Not perfect, but I really love the car.

But.... with use, cracks appear..... DSC was great with help.

What happened: First let me say, don't try this at home, I was on a closed course, supervised by professionals... yadda yadda..... I was cruising between 90 and 110.... just cruising... holding speed and at 110, the car started to oscillate or rock side to side... actually more accurately, a yaw side-to-side like I was in a strong cross wind. This sounds way worse than it was... I never felt like I was out of control or in danger. But I feel it should not have happened. Coincidentally, I was starting to feel at this point of usage, that the ride was not firm enough at higher speeds.

This "closed course" has miles of straights, then gentle curves and at those speeds, can undulate a bit. In my opinion, the shocks need to be stiffer... and not so soft.

So Jordan and Tom looked over my stock settings and made recommendations for change. But they also noted I was the only customer so far to have this issue or desire.... they suggested it may be related to my 115K miles on my springs.... I replaced my shocks with Porsche-labeled ones about 20K miles ago.

So I took their advice and plugged my laptop into the module and made changes.... but I went ahead and went further... as you see in the table below. I stiffened it up all the way to the lowest MPH of 60 (I did this to Normal and Sport equally). BTW, I only drive in Sport mode unless I am on a really bad road... this issue occurred in Sport mode.

Now I feel the car is more stable at speed. Note I am not talking about track work here, but simple cruising, listening to music... littering Doritos crumbs into my carpet.

I hope this helps of give courage to anyone wanting to tweak their box. I will say that I looked at the vids etc, and honestly, was very confused... but that is OK, Tom and Jordan came through with good recs.

BTW, I made the changes on my desktop computer, saved the file to the cloud, then when I was ready, fired up my laptop, downloaded my new profile, and updated the car. Oh yea, the USB port on the module is the midsized one... not the new micro USB. I then left the cable connected, coiled the cable up and shoved it up the bung should I need it again.

This is a cross post from my original review here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...y-opinion.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly

These are the values for the SPEED tab:

Old 05-18-2017, 01:18 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

I've had the same thing, especially crossing bridges with rain grooves, more so if the bridge is uphill. I hadn't blamed it on the DSC. But I fully agree that the suspension isn't stiff enough ... at all. The only mode I use is Sport. I just haven't taken the time to experiment yet.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:08 AM
Croc999
Racer

It's the same as i wrote in November.
Default setting is way to soft:

Originally Posted by Croc999
Installed my unit yesterday and honestly it felt disappointing - Normal mode too soft and wobbly, Sport mode too hard.

So spend 4 hours today reading how to tune it and now after 2 iterations it feels gooooood.
Turns out that settings the unit came with from the TPC where "strange" to say at least...

I'll drive more and see whether further fine tuning is required.
But already this feels super natural

Some questions:
1. My old unit was golden colored, the new unit is white with 997.2 marking on it - is it OK? (my car is 2010 Boxster S)

2. Turning ON a Sport Plus mode of the car now forces Sport mode of the PASM - this didn't happen before and I don't like it - can this be fixed?

Thanks!!!
Gennady
Looks at my different settings and impressions:
Old 05-18-2017, 06:28 AM
Croc999
Racer

i need an help - i'm participating in Auto-X competition next Friday.
This will be my first time with the new DSC unit.
Please advise on Sport tuning.

This is what i currently have:

Didn't have a chance to test it yet on track or auto-x.

The car is 2010 Boxster S.
Tarett F+R sway bars
Camber is ~2 degr all around
Toyo 888
Old 05-18-2017, 10:49 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I've had the same thing, especially crossing bridges with rain grooves, more so if the bridge is uphill. I hadn't blamed it on the DSC. But I fully agree that the suspension isn't stiff enough ... at all. The only mode I use is Sport. I just haven't taken the time to experiment yet.
Load the software onto your desktop and screw with it there. Then save the file to a USB stick or the cloud (One Drive for me). You can also practice reading in the file so when you hook up, you can go quickly. This makes the process so much easier.

I find sitting twisted in your car with a laptop at your side while trying to figure out the interface is annoying. I wish I could do this with Durametric.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-18-2017, 11:09 AM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's the same as i wrote in November.
Default setting is way to soft:

Where did you settle in at? I find that if I get undulations in the road mid corner in the 30-50 mph range the suspension moves quite a bit, feels very soft.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:25 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Tom/Jordan:

Reading through these posts, it appears everyone has nits or other specific objectives..... but, let's keep this simple...

Question1: If I wanted to just stiffen up the ride overall, across all aspects, is there a simple way to do this? Just Sensitivity?

Question2: Do you have a Sport/Normal profile for a Porsche 997.2? What were Porsche's values or what is close to what they had?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-18-2017, 11:36 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,452 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Tom/Jordan:

Reading through these posts, it appears everyone has nits or other specific objectives..... but, let's keep this simple...

Question1: If I wanted to just stiffen up the ride overall, across all aspects, is there a simple way to do this? Just Sensitivity?

Question2: Do you have a Sport/Normal profile for a Porsche 997.2? What were Porsche's values or what is close to what they had?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Just start the g-table with a lower numerical value (which means stiffer), use an end value of whatever you like at max stiffness, and then have the fields automatically populate which will incrementally stiffen the suspension as the g loads increase. If you want a set stiffness for the first few boxes without it progressively stiffening, manually fill those first few boxes with the same value, then have it auto-populate the remaining boxes.

I have also left coiled up and connected to my DSC box a 6' USB cable that I can easily just tuck away which makes access to the box programming very easy - I can just retreive the cable, sit in the passenger seat, and make any changes without physically having to remove the box from the mount.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:39 PM
Croc999
Racer

Originally Posted by ChicagoSpeed996
Where did you settle in at? I find that if I get undulations in the road mid corner in the 30-50 mph range the suspension moves quite a bit, feels very soft.
i'm at the lowest line of the spreadsheet.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:23 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

bruce, i posted something regarding the softness that i too felt with the dsc. thread was my dsc experience asian roads. i put there the exchange of notes between tom to tpc to fix this floating feeling... might help.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:05 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 944 Likes on 525 Posts

Tom/Jordan:

Reading through these posts, it appears everyone has nits or other specific objectives.....
Sorry for the late response, we've been very much occupied with various projects going on at the shop. Yes, there's more than one way to achieve the results to meet each driver's objectives and personal preferences. There is no wrong way as long way as the results meet the goals.

Question1: If I wanted to just stiffen up the ride overall, across all aspects, is there a simple way to do this?
I would use the Shock Calibration table to decrease the "ma" value in each cell. For example, if the range from 0-100% is 1500ma-500ma, then you could change the range to 1350ma-400ma in order to make the ride stiffer across the aspects. The ma increment across the range can be progressive or linear. Let's say for example you want to be stiffer across the aspects at under 80% then you should change the ma values only below 80%. The general guideline for OEM PASM/Damptronic shocks is 1500ma-500ma is the "peak" range, using greater than or less than the peak does not change the peak but will change the ramp angle to the peak. This has been discussed in one of the DSC Official threads and will be covered in future DSC videos.

Sensitivity?
The Sensitivity value operates inside the G Comfort Parameter. So change Sensitivity value only effect the damping at below whatever the G Rate Max value is, since these values operate within the G Comfort Parameter. For example, if the G Rate Max value is 30.0 (this translates to 3.0g) then Sensitivity only effects the damping at less than 3.0g, so this change is not all aspects.

There are multiple OEM PASM controller part numbers for each car model. Often the differences between the controllers are minute, as OEM also have different part number shocks, springs, and sway bars to use in combination to produce the characteristic they think a particular model with a particular option package should have. I don't have access to specific values for every part number controller, I do(and you now do too) know the range of OEM shocks. My best guess on the averages is 1300 in Normal/700 in Sport. I do not wish to discuss the OEM controller values going forward. But glad to continue discussing DSC.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 05-24-2017, 01:58 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

i need an help - i'm participating in Auto-X competition next Friday.
This will be my first time with the new DSC unit.
Please advise on Sport tuning.

This is what i currently have:

Didn't have a chance to test it yet on track or auto-x.

The car is 2010 Boxster S.
Tarett F+R sway bars
Camber is ~2 degr all around
Toyo 888
I totally dig that you guys are tuning the DSC!
In your Impression notes when you say its too hard or too soft, you are feeling the lower g force range that is within the G Comfort Parameter(not the main G Table).
Default, Sensitivity, and G Rate Max are all within the G Comfort Parameter. So the G Rate Max of 25.0 translates to 0.25g in any direction(turning, braking, accelerating). Any changes in Default and Sensitivity only affect when you are driving at below 0.25g in any direction. So changing Default and Sensitivity has very little to no affect on when you are autocrossing with g force being close to, at, or above 1.0g. The only time this has an affect is when a driver pauses(not committing) during a slalom type transition as the lateral g force goes across the G tables to the patch area under the G Rate Max value; letting the g force drop to below the G Rate Max value will momentarily soften the damping. If you look at the middle cell in the Main G Table(that's the table above the G Comfort Parameter), this middle cell shows 50% at all four corners. As as long as the driver doesn't let the g drop below the G Rate Max value by being committed to the turn then the system won't be in the G Comfort Parameter.

Based in your impression notes, I think you might be thinking along the line of passive suspension damping, which I admit it took me a while to think beyond passive and to active suspension damping to grasp all of the this. Like I wrote to Bruce in the previous post, to affect the full aspect to make damping softer or stiffer the change should be made in Shock Calibration. Hope this helps.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:25 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

To follow up to the previous post, my experience has been running Sensitivity value of less than 15 makes the commands "too busy". The OEM shocks don't respond fast enough to take all these commands. I personally like Sensitivity of 15 in Sport mode, and around 20-25 in Normal mode.

Your impression in GYS23, the car is feeling jumpy likely because with Sensitivity at 7 the commands are so busy that the shocks are stuck in the stiffer setting until the number of commands settle down.

If you have your sway bars and alignment setup to be ideal prior to installing DSC, then I would suggest doing autoX with the DSC as delivered and try both Normal and Sport mode before making any changes. Since with DSC the shocks can get to 100% damping at peak load(g force and braking) you might find that it'll be quicker to soften the adjustable sway bars to allow the car to roll in to corner entry and then shocks stiffen up rather than to passively make it stiffer before the action takes place.

Quick Reply: DSC Sport - Tuning Software Discussion Thread