Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC Sport - Tuning Software Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 11:48 PM
Sylverlee
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 64 Posts

Anyone using or have any information on this latest Feb updated calibration file for 997.2s? Have a GTS and running the one posted before this.

https://www.dscsport.com/calibration-files/
Old 04-16-2020, 12:38 AM
Bry5on
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Tom, about to try out a couple of the calibration files for fun while we’re all stuck at home and was looking for info that doesn’t seem available.

what’s the difference between the carrera, carrera t, and gt3 tour tunes?
Old 04-16-2020, 10:13 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 951 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylverlee
Anyone using or have any information on this latest Feb updated calibration file for 997.2s? Have a GTS and running the one posted before this.

https://www.dscsport.com/calibration-files/
The Feb updates has no performance difference on a 997. The reason for the Feb updates was because DSC added Dodge Demon and Hellcat to the application, thus the communication software(DSC Tuner) needed to add the names of these new cars to the selection. These two cars are drag race oriented cars so in the communication software the launch table had a few more cells added in. As such, every cal file needed to be updated so that the those added cells doesn't show a value other than zero. Because when opening a previously written cal file on a newly revised communication software that has more cells to fill in, the previously written file can show some random number in those newly added cells that wasn't there before. The DSC team revised every file on the list to work with communication software version 1.9.3 because of the two Dodge cars added.

There's absolutely no need to download and use comm software(DSC Tuner) version 1.9.3 for any Porsche 997, 991. If you have the previously comm software it will perform just as awesome. I use the older version on my 997.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

The following 2 users liked this post by Tom@TPC Racing:
kru911 (04-17-2020), Sylverlee (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 10:29 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bry5on
what’s the difference between the carrera, carrera t, and gt3 tour tunes?
This is the 997 forum section, but I assume you have a 991 ?
***If you have a 997 DSC, Don't write a 991 file to it!!! *** Don't do it!!!

To answer your question, each cal file was written to each model car to the DSC team's preference.
For example Carrera T has much softer dampers compared to Carrera so the DSC commands for T is made more aggressive to increase roll stiffness.
Too much roll stiffness will have understeer but some people prefer the feel of roll stiffness over entry speed so swapping cal file fills that desired preference.
GT3 Tour cal file was made softer in Normal mode than GT3/RS file for those who desire a slightly more cushy ride in Normal mode.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:10 PM
Bry5on
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
This is the 997 forum section, but I assume you have a 991 ?
***If you have a 997 DSC, Don't write a 991 file to it!!! *** Don't do it!!!

To answer your question, each cal file was written to each model car to the DSC team's preference.
For example Carrera T has much softer dampers compared to Carrera so the DSC commands for T is made more aggressive to increase roll stiffness.
Too much roll stiffness will have understeer but some people prefer the feel of roll stiffness over entry speed so swapping cal file fills that desired preference.
GT3 Tour cal file was made softer in Normal mode than GT3/RS file for those who desire a slightly more cushy ride in Normal mode.
thanks, apologies for posting in the wrong forum. Used google as it’s tough to find this detail online! It might be helpful to add some of these details to the calibration files website to help those that are interested in self service and tuning to find the right starting point.
Old 04-16-2020, 01:05 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bry5on
Used google as it’s tough to find this detail online! It might be helpful to add some of these details to the calibration files website to help those that are interested in self service and tuning to find the right starting point.
The right starting point in my opinion is to use the cal file that's written for that model car. The platform wasn't originally intended for users to swap file from different models. It started out with a 991 RS DSC users who wanted softer Normal mode to complement the awesome DSC Sport mode on track so I made the "GT3 Tour" file with softer Normal mode to make the stiffer sprung RS ride better on street. Other RS and GT3 users started to use this "Tour" file and liked it. Then one 991 Carrera GTS user tried it and happened to liked it, and then few others 991 users did it. That's how the file swapped started for 991-series cars. The file swap flexibility isn't there for other DSC applications.

Old 02-13-2021, 04:46 PM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 145 Posts

I just installed Techart lowering springs on my 2009 997 Turbo. Stick Bilstein B4 shocks. Are there any suggested changes I should make to my DSC’s software due to the lower ride height and different spring rates?

I believe I’m just using the original 997TT calibration file.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:18 AM
donR
Pro

Received 202 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by acr89
I just installed Techart lowering springs on my 2009 997 Turbo. Stick Bilstein B4 shocks. Are there any suggested changes I should make to my DSC’s software due to the lower ride height and different spring rates?

I believe I’m just using the original 997TT calibration file.
You should be able to "Zero Travel" under the "Settings" tab in your DSC tuning software. Maybe adjust the Shock Calbration and/or Velocity settings if your balance is out depending on the spring rates and travel.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:49 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

The dsc controller V1 for our 997.2s with the 2 modes came as early as 2016s it came with a map pre installed... a few questions:
1. Was that original circa 2016 preinstalled map still the same if you buy your dsc now or is there an improved map on the newer units?
2. If you have the version 1.0 of the tuner, should you upgrade to any of the newer versions for the dsc to work better?
3. The 997.2 2modes units are gold colored now, before they were white colored boxes. Are there any major differences between the current gold colored boxes vs the white and should owners of the white box controllers upgrade?
4. Dsc says support and warranty only for a year... does that mean they wont respond to personal customer queries after a year and customers only have dsc forums for support?
5. If there have been standard map iterations to the map originally installed in the first version of the 2mode units, how can dsc owners access the other previously made maps?
6. Has the firmware version changed? If your units firmware is old can you upgrade to the latest firmware? Where can you do this and how??
The dsc are being sold in the secondary market and at very good prices, congrats to dsc for making a good product!! Hope we can get answers to these queries so more owners will be informed...

Last edited by slicky rick; 01-17-2022 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:34 AM
moralman
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seeing that the later cars had ride height sensors added, could these be retrofitted to the earlier 997 cars to provide more versatility to the tuning?
Old 01-24-2022, 09:08 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

just to keep the sharing alive... anyone who needs the NYC map, Tom has shared it with me. just send your email.. hope we can post maps that have made a difference that some might be able to adapt to their particular driving needs...
The following 3 users liked this post by slicky rick:
AreaOne (01-25-2022), Ohio Performance (01-25-2022), preoctavian (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 09:35 AM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 145 Posts

Has anyone played around with the G Comfort Parameters to gain a smoother ride? I lowered my default rate from 5 to 2.5 and noticed a big difference with my car on Techart springs and stock B4 shocks. I didn’t change any of the other settings within G Sport (offset, sensitivity, G rate max) and am curious what others have set these to.
Old 01-29-2022, 05:40 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Shout out to Tom or any of our friends with DSC... had a spirited run... loved the way the car feels until I come across this waving road ... all of a sudden I felt the car being push up, then felt like floating and then back down... it felt that the shocks were too soft all of a sudden... was around 120kph... any ideas which value I should play around with... I doubt if I lifted off the road... any suggestions will be appreciated
Old 01-29-2022, 11:28 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,564 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
Shout out to Tom or any of our friends with DSC... had a spirited run... loved the way the car feels until I come across this waving road ... all of a sudden I felt the car being push up, then felt like floating and then back down... it felt that the shocks were too soft all of a sudden... was around 120kph... any ideas which value I should play around with... I doubt if I lifted off the road... any suggestions will be appreciated
The SPEED tab.... just increase the percentages at higher speeds. This should already be done on the latest maps... But I don't know the DNA of the NYC map as the higher speed percentages were only increased later in the map's lives. I was driving down a highway (closed track with safety equipment of course) at high speed for a long time and the road was ... um kinda undulated side to side... and car started to oscillate. I perceived the shocks to be too soft at high speed. I callled DSC and they noted I was the only customer to experience this but they told me to bump up the percentages in the speed tab. Since then, they did this for all iterations of their module. IMO, if you driving high-speed on a highway, it should make no difference if you are in comfort or sport, your suspension should be stiff.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 01-29-2022, 01:46 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Hey Bruce. I actually made a big boo boo. I saved my last map and all maps previously made since a few years back. I installed the latest tuner since I had version 1.0 and installed the latest update.... for most driving everything felt similar... unfortunately by some whatever, I accidentally erased all my dsc files, including the first few maps shared by Tom and the last map I had on the module. So now I only have the latest map as included in the update. I feel some aspects are better like controlling brake dive and general driving but felt this recent floating feeling event, which I want to control.. hope our dsc friends can expand the choices of maps.. I recall there was a "share your map" area where owners of dsc modules could share map builds... but seems to not be there anymore... would you know if the map in the latest update is the same from when the module was launched or has it already been modified, through the numerous sharing here, over the years?

Quick Reply: DSC Sport - Tuning Software Discussion Thread