Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 09:59 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 967 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
I was a skeptic myself. How could 2 of anything be better than THREE?!

But, Tom is right. 2 totally kicks ***. I love it.
Thanks for your feedback. Glad you love it.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Old 01-04-2017, 10:22 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Croc999
i wasn't aware about this 2 mode change and didn't see the discussions.
i will look them up.
hearing that customers are happy sounds promising
To me, the prime feature on the 2-mode DSC isn't the mode switching display interface with the factory instrument cluster, yes we are proud of this too but the main course for me is something we call the "Reverse G Table".

The Reverse G Table, what it is is in the main g table we assign a patch(say for example an area that's within 0.2g in any direction), and we then assign a % of rate of movement and a default damping value. So if you are driving leisurely at under 0.2g and rate of movement is less than the assigned %, then to shocks are as soft as the assigned default value(that can be 1% or 10% or any % you choose). But the moment that the rate of movement threshold and/or the 0.2g threshold is exceeded then the shocks go to the main g table values which is 50% or higher stiffness. The g patch size, rate of movement %, and default value is all selectable by the preference of the users. This is very clever.

On the DSC software G table, at the bottom you'll see "G Comfort Parameter" box. In that box you'll see the following from left to right.

Default Rate is the % stiffness(from Shock Calibration) within each mode(Normal or Sport mode) when there's no load or within rate of movement and g patch threshold. For example, if you want the damping to be stiffer when there's zero load then increase the value in this box say from 1% to 10%. Or if you want Sport mode to immediately feel stiffer then go to Sport mode and increase this value by 10% or so over the % that's in Normal mode.

Offset, DSC engineers ask that we don't play this is.

Sensitivity is the % of rate of movement threshold to get out of the Reverse G Patch and into the main G table. The smaller this value is the more readily the damping commands gets out of the Reverse G Patch and into the main G table. For example, if you want the dampers to stiffen up with less movement then lowers the value in this box.

G Rate Max is the assigned patch size area of the Reverse G Table. For example, if you want Normal mode to ride more cushy say under 0.2g than you want to assign 20.0 in this box. If you want the patch to cover within 0.35g then enter 35.0 in this box.

With the use of the Reverse G Table, we have implemented race car mapping on the all tables and still producing comfortable ride over bumps. Whereas with the old 3-mode there's no Reverse G Table so the system is less dynamic and has street car maps instead of race car maps with Reverse G.

All of the above info can be complex. We don't expect every DSC user to change these values. If the user drive the way we do then they will very likely enjoy our mapping right out of the box. Only 10% of the users customize their mapping for very specific preferences.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:24 AM
RJKflyer
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing

G Rate Max is the assigned patch size area of the Reverse G Table. For example, if you want Normal mode to ride more cushy say under 0.2g than you want to assign 20.0 in this box. If you want the patch to cover within 0.35g then enter 35.0 in this box.

Tom - took a peek at the downloadable User Manual on your website and in that it says:

"The size of the box can be from .3G to .1G, anything outside of this can have some un-desirable effects."

Can you clarify where the boundary is for "undesirable effects"?
Old 01-11-2017, 04:35 AM
RJKflyer
Instructor

@TPC

I see that your "steering table" is unpopulated by default.

The OEM PASM appears to have a 'lane change' mode, defined by Porsche as:

Lane-change module
The damper forces at both axles are immediately increased in response to rapid steering movements, for example sudden evasive manoeuvres.
This reduces body tilt and instability, thereby significantly improving vehicle control even in extreme situations.

Does your (empty steering) mapping therefore cancel that logic? Or, to be specific, rely upon generated G-force as opposed to that predicted by deg/s steering input?
Old 01-11-2017, 10:00 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 151 Posts

Think you might get an app developed and use bluetooth to connect to the TSC box, to alter the maps and settings? Store multiple maps on the phone or in the box and select them via the app function?
Old 01-11-2017, 10:02 AM
RJKflyer
Instructor

Originally Posted by DC911S
Think you might get an app developed and use bluetooth to connect to the TSC box, to alter the maps and settings? Store multiple maps on the phone or in the box and select them via the app function?
Personally I would HATE there to be any from of 'uncabled' access! Hopefully there is no BT radio chip in it...!
Old 01-11-2017, 10:07 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RJKflyer
Tom - took a peek at the downloadable User Manual on your website and in that it says:

"The size of the box can be from .3G to .1G, anything outside of this can have some un-desirable effects."

Can you clarify where the boundary is for "undesirable effects"?
A higher G value makes the transitions in/out of the G Comfort Parameter more noticeable by the driver. A lower G value makes the transitions seamless.

I see that your "steering table" is unpopulated by default.
We have experimented with Steering table and found that the results on both street and track are better with zero value in this table on cars with either stock or popular suspension set up. But if for example someone were to disconnect their sway bars for whatever reason or have a suspension setup that's radically different than anything we've tested then this table may have a benefit. Those are just an examples. For those who wish to conduct their own experiment, the Steering table is there.

The OEM PASM appears to have a 'lane change' mode, defined by Porsche as:

Lane-change module
The damper forces at both axles are immediately increased in response to rapid steering movements, for example sudden evasive manoeuvres.
This reduces body tilt and instability, thereby significantly improving vehicle control even in extreme situations.
Yes it does say this in the OEM owners manual...but using DSC makes the car more stable in these situations than on any stock PASM 997 I've driven.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:12 AM
RJKflyer
Instructor

Thanks Tom - useful info and looks like the faster analysis/processing/signalling and more detailed mapping obviate the 'need' for LC mode.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:17 AM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Tom -
I have the DSC and bought it soon after you went from 3 to 2 modes. Have there been SW updates since then, with enhanced math/programming? And/or are updates expected at all or regularly?

If so, I would ask how to download and update my device, but I could probably work with the DSC website to figure that out.

I've been tracking the car at DEs and I'm very happy with it, so there's a bit of - If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But if there are improvements, I wouldn't want to be missing out...

btw - I'm not interested in custom programming, just getting the best/latest/greatest out-of-the-box programming and if I've already got that, then I'm set.

Thanks!!
Jack
Old 01-11-2017, 11:17 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jack667
Tom -
I have the DSC and bought it soon after you went from 3 to 2 modes. Have there been SW updates since then, with enhanced math/programming? And/or are updates expected at all or regularly?

If so, I would ask how to download and update my device, but I could probably work with the DSC website to figure that out.

I've been tracking the car at DEs and I'm very happy with it, so there's a bit of - If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But if there are improvements, I wouldn't want to be missing out...

btw - I'm not interested in custom programming, just getting the best/latest/greatest out-of-the-box programming and if I've already got that, then I'm set.

Thanks!!
Jack
Hi Jack,

Glad to hear you've been very happy with your DSC. I suggest sending me your original file to have a look. My email address is: tchan@tpcracing.com

Regards,
Tom
Old 02-03-2017, 04:29 AM
RJKflyer
Instructor

Tom - I've just got my box back from you after the 3- to 2-mode upgrade.

I notice that the Reverse g-table in Normal has a Default Rate of 5.0 whereas the latest 997.2 stock pdts file on your Downloads has a 1.0 value for this (so 'softer' in the 'dead band' area)

Which is considered better/later?
Old 02-03-2017, 10:04 AM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Tom - I've just got my box back from you after the 3- to 2-mode upgrade.

I notice that the Reverse g-table in Normal has a Default Rate of 5.0 whereas the latest 997.2 stock pdts file on your Downloads has a 1.0 value for this (so 'softer' in the 'dead band' area)

Which is considered better/later?
Totally your preference. I would say that the Default Rate is the most subjective value, as it's just the static setting for all corners when you're not loading up the car.

~Jordan
Old 02-03-2017, 11:45 AM
RJKflyer
Instructor

Ok, thanks Jordam but/and maybe for everyone's benefit and clarity should we assume that the file on your downloads is now out of date?

And/or maybe upload your latest to avoid confusion?

What matters most is that everyone gets the best out of your Excellent box!
Old 02-04-2017, 11:37 PM
65sohc
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the DSC on my GT350 for a couple of weeks. In Normal mode in straightline driving there is a lot of vertical movement. eg. crossing an intersection with a modest rise followed by a dip makes the front end rise like it's going to get airborne at 40 mph. Would reducing the sensitivity cause the shocks to react more quickly?
Old 02-05-2017, 04:34 PM
Croc999
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Croc999
there are no 987 file for stock dumpers.
my unit was purchased on Jul 2014 and has 3 suspension modes.
Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Sorry about that. The website is a work in progress. I will inform our IT guy when he returns from holiday. 987 uses same tuning file as 997 but all files on the website are 2-mode.. If you like to tune your DSC then you need to send the DSC to our shop to have it updated to 2-mode. The tuning software works properly only with the 2-mode update. We are doing the 2-mode update service at no charge to the original purchaser. The original purchaser will only pay for the shipping cost. The 2-mode is an improvement in respond time of the dampers and smoother transition.
I see now at the web site "Current 997/987 file for use with OEM/Bilstein dampers" - this is correct form stock PASM dampers in 987.2?

Just got today my unit after upgrading firmware to 2 mode - will start to play with it.
The software version that I've downloaded today from the site is 1.3.0 - this the correct one, right?

Quick Reply: DSC Sport - Tuning Software Discussion Thread