Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highest Mileage 997

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 02:43 PM
misterdega
Rennlist Member

Received 441 Likes on 178 Posts

Just crossed over 128K. Love the car. Have fixed and sorted most things (even small things like airbox clips, new wheel liners, floor mats, etc). Still doing upgrades. Getting black with green numbered gauges from Venoxy, getting my wheels redone in silver and calipers repainted with ceramic coat. Hoping to get my steering wheel wrapped in alcantara and upgrade to sport seats (if anyone has either and wants leather).

Hope to keep this car well beyond 200k!

The following 6 users liked this post by misterdega:
cjarrett (09-27-2023), fiddlesticks (Yesterday), groovzilla (09-25-2023), krazykarl (09-25-2023), Rig.Stunts (09-26-2023), Yoren (09-26-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-25-2023, 05:42 PM
spessx
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Miamirice
no question. I too own both. I have had multiple s2000 including a caged wide body with Aero. These cars spend ALL there time between 5000-9000 RPM and it’s nothing to see them with over 150k miles spending their life as track day cars. The gear box is far superior. No mystery that top gear voted it as 1 of the 10 cars you must drive in your life time. I will never sell mine.

back on topic- I have 86k miles on my recently acquired 05 c2S and plan on rolling over the 6th digit on the odometer by end of summer.
I've got a 2001 S2000 that I've owned since 2003. I bought it as a CPO from Honda with 17k miles. It's White/Red (Honda racing colors) and has the factory hardtop. The S2000 is hands down the most reliable car I've ever had. It's got lots of track days and I've put as much as 1,700 miles on it in a single week. They really are amazing cars - the transmission, the engine that can be rev'd to 9k and still survive all these years plus qualify as a Low Emissions Vehicle? I'll never sell it. It's too inexpensive to own and too much fun to drive.

That said, I love my 2005 C2S as well. It's currently at 98.5k miles and I bought it at 97k. I don't have nearly the faith in it yet that I do my S2000 but I plan to own it long term and have been going through and addressing reliability concerns one at a time.

Last edited by spessx; 09-25-2023 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-26-2023, 03:56 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Slightly off topic but I met a guy in the grocery store parking lot the other day with a 2017 991 with 167,000 miles on it. Comes close to 28,000 miles a year if my calculator is working right. The current owner said he bought it from a New York attorney who did 5 or 6 day a week commutes from way out on Long Island into New York City since he bought the car new.

Car looked close to new to my eyes so despite all the miles spent in NY since new, these cars obviously hold up well if cared for even driven year around in sometimes abusive north east weather. Not a fan of the 991 but I was impressed with how good that car looked with 167,000 miles on the clock.
The following users liked this post:
Yoren (09-26-2023)
Old 08-13-2024, 02:58 PM
07carrera07
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

07 Carrera Cab Manual 120,000 km
Shift Cable 30k

Following between 100k and 120k (other than oil, tires, batteries)

Brakes
Alternator (failed)
Starter (failed)
Water Pump (failed)
Front left wheel bearing (knocking)
Coolant tank + 1hose (precautionary)
Light tapping of valve (switched to Liquid Moly, much better)
Belt (precautionary)
Coils (failing)
Rear window regulator (failed)
Rear Control Module (currently, my fault, tomato under seat unnoticed squished)

Oil consumption very minimal

Great car
Old 08-13-2024, 03:31 PM
FlatHat
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I love the orange Fog Lights / Turn Signal Housing - how did you do that?
Old 08-13-2024, 03:33 PM
RNGRICK
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Just broke 102K miles - Zero Issues

Originally Posted by myw
i think we have a winner! 28k miles and climbing!
My 997 is still runing perfectly @ 102K miles -

Old 08-13-2024, 04:17 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

FWIW, my 2010 C4S PDK just turned 159K miles and is still all original excluding ...

Tires, replaced rear 6 times, fronts 4 times.

Brakes, fronts 3 times, rear 2 times.

Plugs 3 times. Still original coils.

Filters per schedule.

Oil every 5K miles.

PDK service at 60K and 120K miles.

Battery a few times.

And other maintenance items like poly V belt.

Beyond the above basic service ...

Left front axle boot.

Front computer for weird hazard light failure.

Front upper strut mounts at 120K miles.

Taillights.

Notes ...

The axle boot was due to driving many miles on chip seal in Idaho, wherein the rocks got kicked up under the car.

The front computer seems to be an actual failure. The replacement has a problem reading the frunk latch open sensor affecting the light operation. Computers ... !!!

The AWD geometry affects the front strut mounts in order to clear the axle. These would most likely not have worn out if I had a 2WD.

The taillights were after the car was stored outside for a summer. The sun baked the plastic, causing separations between clear and red and plastic damage in general. Winter storms then flooded the lights with water. Proper storage would have prevented this. Yes, this was expensive!!!!

In all of these miles, I have not burned oil ... 7.5 quarts out, 7.5 quarts in. The only exception was a pint list when I transitioned from Mobil One to LiquiMoly ... one time.

Yes, my Bose amp acts up occasionally. But I still will state that for my 60 years of driving experience, this remains my most reliable car with the lowest running costs per mile.

The drive train and suspension components are still original, completely. This includes coils, water pump, idler pulley, AOS, expansion tank (and cap), etc.

I'll be putting 2000+ more miles on before the end of this month. Should I worry, Bruce?????
Old 08-13-2024, 04:24 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

No... I over maintained my car.... butt... oh that big butt... your suspension bushings are not what they used to be. Of course you can just listen for clunks and odd shifts... but I gotta believe the car is not as tight as new.

I would change the coils... and I would do them at 120K miles and for sure at 160K.... that is just long for coils... you could get stranded. I would also flush the coolant and power steering fluid.... no evidence that it must be done, butt... if you like big butts....

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Old 08-13-2024, 05:47 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
No... I over maintained my car.... butt... oh that big butt... your suspension bushings are not what they used to be. Of course you can just listen for clunks and odd shifts... but I gotta believe the car is not as tight as new.

I would change the coils... and I would do them at 120K miles and for sure at 160K.... that is just long for coils... you could get stranded. I would also flush the coolant and power steering fluid.... no evidence that it must be done, butt... if you like big butts....

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)
Thanks.

Yeah, I've long thought B16s and solid bushings. It's a sports car. I drive in a spirited fashion, or so my friends tell me. NVH isn't my worry. The springs have sacked to the point where I can't get the camber right in the front end anymore. My 40K mile fronts are wearing out on the inside at half that mileage now. Previously the wear was always even. But, and this is a big but, there is a part of me that is challenging the car to prove itself by going further!!!! It's attained knowledge for the benefit of the group, I tell myself. Stupid? OK, I confess!!!

There's been no indication of misfires, so again, pushing to see how far these coils really can last. Again, stupid? Maybe. Possibly. You've got me thinking ... Maybe I should carry some spares just in case.

I remember your power steering debacle. I'll count myself out on that one!!!!

The coolant got flushed 30K miles ago when I added the third radiator. The drained fluid still looked new, but that is far from a chemical analysis. I've mentioned it elsewhere, but I'll say it here as well ... those 275F oil temps I was seeing in the Sierra passes pre third radiator topped at 245F this last trip. Ambient was still in the 100+F range. The one difference could be that I relinquished the lead before the heavy climbs, and my pace was down a bit. But not 30F worth. So I'm on board with that third radiator.

I am beginning to worry about the water pump. We took a one day excursion from the SF Bay to Nevada a week ago. We have a 107K mile Jag F Type amongst us. Just over the pass his water pump gave out. This was his first failure and it was definitely inconvenient. And not an alongside the road repair. Fortunately, we were there to assist, and a flatbed was summoned once we attained cell coverage.

I'll report back later this year ...
Old 08-14-2024, 09:00 AM
bdiamond001
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Great running car. Clutch replacement at 45k, water pump,ignition switch, and basic maintenance at my indy
90k on the clock

Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM
J.Correa
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 Mileage

Originally Posted by destro
Just wondering what's the highest mileage 997 anyone has seen or owned on a single engine, any major issues? Reading a few articles and threads about 996 Turbos hitting close to 600 000 miles got me wondering about people's experiences with higher mileage M97 and 9A1 engines.

I've probably seen a few 997.1s closer to 100 000 miles and 997.2s probably closer to 80 000 miles on autotrader.

Just amazed that those Mezger engines can last so long without a rebuilt. There's also a guy I bumped into a few times with a million km 1976 (1 owner) Turbo, but he had a few rebuilds, he also does track it.

So what's the highest mileage 997.1 and 997.2?

My 997.2 is only at about 27 000 miles.
y 2012 997.2?4 S has more than 110 miles without any engine problems. 👍
Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM
misterdega
Rennlist Member

Received 441 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatHat
I love the orange Fog Lights / Turn Signal Housing - how did you do that?
Just a simple lens wrap from Lamin-x
Old Today, 02:53 AM
Sunseeker09
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

187k km, new engine maybe 6k km ago under previous owner. However it hasn't been smooth sailing. I put a lot of money replacing a lot of component (suspension, steering, cooking, etc). I love it even though it's not the most comfy DD.

Quick Reply: Highest Mileage 997